Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

GM PAL installed by dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 04:48 PM

GM PAL installed by dealer

For those of you who have the PAL in your HHR where was the actual control box installed by either you or your dealer? Was the cable that connects to your ipod routed so it is in the auxiliary glovebox on top of the dash or in the main passenger side glovebox?

Have you noticed any interference or static in the speakers when playing music through the PAL? Is the overall audio volume comparable to a CD or do you hear a difference?

The reason I am asking is I have noticeable static when playing music through my PAL. Actually the static is there regardless of wether the ipod is connected or not. It is not present when playing a CD. My dealer installed my PAL for me when I bought my HHR. I have had the HHR back to the dealer because of the static. I was told by my service manager that there was nothing that could have gone wrong during the installation and he would have to call GM Accessories. But most likely what I was hearing was normal operation for the PAL. Well at first he tried to blame my ipod for the static but then I disconnected it for him so he could hear that it was not the ipod. Then it became normal operation of the PAL.

It has been over a week and I have heard nothing back from my dealer. I decided to see if I could figure it out for myself and found that my PAL was quite literally stuffed behind the main glovebox below the HVAC blower motor. It was not held in the vehicle securely at all. Guess that double sided tape on the unit is there just for show. However everything was connected as far as I could tell so I left it alone.

Does anyone have an electronic version of the PAL installation instructions as well?
Old 05-04-2008, 05:22 PM

My PAL box appears to be installed on the passenger side of the console. The ipod cable is in the aux glove box on the dash. (See pix in my gallery)

Audio level is comparable to CD or XM volume. I haven't heard any static. The sound quality is good. I had the PAL installed last week.

Does the static go away if you turn your AC/Heater fan off? You may be getting interference from the fan motor.

-Alan
Old 05-04-2008, 05:38 PM

Good idea on the fan interference. I just went out and tired it. I still have the static with the fan off. Static is present if the key is on accessory, or run. Your installation looks very nice and professional. Unlike mine.