Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Going Retro. Where should I mount it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:11 PM

Going Retro. Where should I mount it?

Hello,

I recently found the Kenwood cassette deck and 10 disc changer I've had in storage since 199?. I also found a crate of >100 tapes. So naturally, I need to install the old rig into my new wagon. My questions are:

A. Where is the best place to mount a 10 disc changer in these HHRs?

B. Will I need a special harness if I don't want to keep the chime/signal/onstar noises?

C. What is under and behind the storage box on the dash? Is it empty space I can use to cut a hole in the box to mount the changer at a 45 degree angle?

D. Has anyone mounted their electronics on the ceiling like the old vans and truckers? Are there any cross members I can use for mounting?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2008, 09:23 PM

You know you can digitalize those tapes very easily. With a walkman, a $5 cord and some free software you can make near perfect copies and put them all on a MP3 player and plug into the radio. It's your car, but I wouldnt hack up a HHR just for some memories.
Brwbier
Old 07-22-2008, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Brwbier
You know you can digitalize those tapes very easily. I wouldnt hack up a HHR just for some memories.
Brwbier
True. The only problem is it takes 60, 90, and 120 minutes to dump each tape into WaveLab. Then I have to eq and maximize the levels, delete unwanted material and dead air, and insert track markers which can take another 20-60 minutes. Multiplied by 100 I'll never get them finished.

If I can install the changer w/o cutting I will. But the tapedeck is a must have.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Banned

I'd just mount the changer in the cargo area. Either on the side or you can cut a hole in the side panel and just have the face sticking out.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
I'd just mount the changer in the cargo area. Either on the side or you can cut a hole in the side panel and just have the face sticking out.
Hmmm. I'll need about 8.75" clearance behind the unit. Besides mounting it face out between the locking cargo bins (HHR Panel), which side panel(s) have that sort of clearance?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:28 AM

Can you mount it under the removable floor in the back, above the spare tire?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mixman
Hmmm. I'll need about 8.75" clearance behind the unit. Besides mounting it face out between the locking cargo bins (HHR Panel), which side panel(s) have that sort of clearance?
WOW, that's a big changer...

You could always mount it to the back of the passenger seat.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
WOW, that's a big changer...

You could always mount it to the back of the passenger seat.
Or the roof.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:30 AM

Best place to mount it is in the garbage pail. Retro is nice, but it only goes so far. The stereo is not the place for retro. Your FACTORY radio can play MP3's, holding more music on ONE disc, than a 10 CD changer. I like the retro LOOK, but I'm not throwing away my freezer to get an icebox anytime soon.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by diskullman
Best place to mount it is in the garbage pail. Retro is nice, but it only goes so far. The stereo is not the place for retro. Your FACTORY radio can play MP3's, holding more music on ONE disc, than a 10 CD changer. I like the retro LOOK, but I'm not throwing away my freezer to get an icebox anytime soon.

Hey, want an 8-track to go with it?

Quick Reply: Going Retro. Where should I mount it?