Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Going Retro. Where should I mount it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mixman
In the studio I mix client audio in 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 & 2, and 9.2 @ 24/96 and 32/192. Its bad enough that CDs won't allow greater than 2.0 @ 16/48 resolution. I do critical listening as I drive, and furthur compressing the audio to that of iPod, MP3 or WMA etc is not an option.
Anything more than 16/48 resolution is a waste of time. The human ear cannot distinguish higher than that.

Why don't you just get a high quality portable tape player and plug it into the aux in on the stock radio? You can get pretty nice ones for the price of the harness you'll need to integrate the old deck.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 PM

We're almost there.

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Anything more than 16/48 resolution is a waste of time. The human ear cannot distinguish higher than that.
I'm sure something similar was said about surround sound.

If that 16/48 limit was true of humanity, the high end audio engineers and equipment manufacturers would be out on their ears. Fortunately, not all ears (or humans) are alike, and ears like mine will continue to get paid for delivering the difference.

Why don't you just get a high quality portable tape player and plug it into the aux in on the stock radio? You can get pretty nice ones for the price of the harness you'll need to integrate the old deck.
Thats a great idea and a walkman would be the solution if I didn't also need the disc changer. Besides that, the kit is only $13USD.

The point here is not to debate the limits of human hearing or to find a better alternative to my idea. The point is I need to find an optimal location to mount my CD changer in my HHR Panel.

Everyone please, lets control our ODD so we can complete this simple task. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:40 PM

Have you thought of getting an older factory GM head unit that has both 6 discs and tape deck combined? I'm not sure if it'll fit or what years they were produced, but it could potentially solve both problems.

Fitting the changer under your subs like I originally suggested would be impractical now. However, I would suggest cutting a hole in between the subs and flush mounting it that way. I think there is enough clearance there.

When I had my head unit out and was messing with wires inside I did not recall much space underneath the dash compartment, but the only way to find out is to remove the dash and find out.

If you want to go REALLY retro install the old under dash record player!

**Off-Topic** One of my coworkers is a DJ that spins vinyl records and it sounds amazing with all the pops and clicks. Another DJ "cheats" and plays her set out of iTunes, but she's got a program that runs the music through a turntable and allows her to scratch digital music...it's nowhere near the same sound or feel.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Banned

Anything more than 16/44 CD quality is pure marketing drivel. Once you downmix it to the CD, you lose the higher resolution anyway. When you rip music off a CD, you're only getting 16/44. Mixing and re-recording at higher resolution doesn't get you any better quality from a pre-recorded CD.

Having said that, I think best recording goes all analog to a 2-inch tape, then digital down to hard drive. Old meets new school.

ANYWAY, back on topic. I would be wary of the $13 harness. A lot of data passes along the GM-LAN bus and you might start having issues if you don't use a proper integration harness.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:18 PM

I think best recording goes all analog to a 2-inch tape, then digital down to hard drive.
We are in agreement here. And you probably know the audio doesn't have to leave the tape to benefit from a good set of A/D-D/A converters and UA plugs. And from there it can go directly to CD for me to review on the road.

I would be wary of the $13 harness. A lot of data passes along the GM-LAN bus and you might start having issues if you don't use a proper integration harness.
Are you talking about OnStar data and/or the door chime and signal click, or is there some other data that would need to be integrated into my antiquated Kenwood stereo?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Uma

LOL, I would love to reply...maybe even give some insight, but this thread is just too entertaining, You guys know too much for me. I paid a boat load of $$ to have my sounds installed. I have two ipods running at all times, one with a screen at the windshield playing at all times, just so I can change to certain song I like. I am old school!! but not that much so. Rock on my brother! Todd (Uma)
Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Uma
LOL, I would love to reply...maybe even give some insight
Enlighten us please.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:45 AM

"Your FACTORY radio can play MP3's"

Actually, not the LS versions at least on a disk. I have been able to plug in an MP3 player and play from that with good success but the control issue is still there.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:28 AM

Despite the ridicule, I got my antiquated tape deck and 10 disc changer installed today, and what a 4x45 watt boost! No way the digital factory deck bangs as hard as my analog Kenwood.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:32 AM

Forgot to say: I mounted the changer under the passenger seat with easy access to the magazine from the driver seat.

Quick Reply: Going Retro. Where should I mount it?