Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Head Unit Replacement Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 10:23 PM

Head Unit Replacement Advice!

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to replace my factory head unit with a new unit as it's acting up and it also "swallowed" my cd (I press the eject but it doesn't come out and says, "No disc loaded"). I went to Best Buy and this is what they worked up for me:

Mobile Electronics Sales Advisor

2009 Chevrolet HHR With OnStar

Kenwood DDX470 6.1" - In-Dash Receiver with Fixed Faceplate CD/DVD - Built-In Bluetooth 7501209 349.99
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...e_Video/DDX470

Radio Kit Metra - Installation Kit for Select Chevrolet Vehicles, 9262521 $13.98

Radio Harness Metra - Replacement Interface for Select Chevrolet Vehicles 1086542 $142.98

Antenna Adaptor METRA - Chrysler Vehicle Antenna Adapter Cable 4349574, $17.99

Metra - Steering Wheel Control Interface - Black 1264288 $89.99

In-Dash Video Installation Labor 4660245 $99.99
Steering Wheel Control Labor 8335615 $59.99

Materials Fee Tape, connectors, zip ties, fuses, and screws. 4081923$5.00

Subtotal $779.91

I was throwed off by this cause I remember when you could get radio, speakers, and amp for almost this much. However, as with the sign of the times (for better or worse), technology changes I guess. This seems to me huge just to replace the head unit with another double din. Car toys was about $50 more. Now before anyone asks, no I do not know how to install head units nor do I have any friends that do. The last time I did a DIY install was replacing the factory speakers in an 89 GMC Safari Van (back when you could get to the speakers much easier) that I used to own. Does this quote seem accurate?

Thanks

Blue Lightning
Old 11-24-2013, 04:48 AM

That is not too bad for whats listed. You could cut some corners for a less complete install, but all those parts are recommended and the labor seems fair.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:21 AM

Part of the problem we face is, if you want the chime module and steering wheel controls to work, there are adaptors needed. DIY is a way to cut cost. I got mine through Crutchfields, instructions were great. Just take your time. If you decide to have someone else install it, your quote is about right.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:39 PM

I work at a mom & pop stereo store and didn't realize Best Buy was so high.

We charge $60.00 for a deck and if we do a steering wheel interface it's free with the deck.

Check out Scosche, I believe they make an all-in one interface that includes the steering wheel interface, about $169 ish.

Too bad you're so far away.

To be honest, with all of this mostly plug and play, if you are even a little mechanically inclined, I bet you could do it yourself.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:09 PM

You did not mention if you car has existing steering wheel controls? If the steering wheel does, then there are adapters that include them so the cost of that module can be eliminated. They also have all the stock car beeps and chimes too. I installed a Pioneer X950BH GPS unit with blue tooth, hands free, USB interface, etc and it is great, just plugged in.

The only issue was having to cut out the rear of the plastic enclosure so the cables have plenty of room. I also had a hard time getting the stock antenna plug pulled for some reason but the guys at the shop I deal with said that happens a lot with the new antenna plugs. You can do the install yourself as everything just plugs in and the instructions that come with the adapters and such are generally great.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by prod
That is not too bad for whats listed. You could cut some corners for a less complete install, but all those parts are recommended and the labor seems fair.
Prod, that's good to know. I appreciate it!

Blue
Old 11-27-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by jczboy
Part of the problem we face is, if you want the chime module and steering wheel controls to work, there are adaptors needed. DIY is a way to cut cost. I got mine through Crutchfields, instructions were great. Just take your time. If you decide to have someone else install it, your quote is about right.
jczboy, good to know. I appreciate it!

Blue
Old 11-27-2013, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by thunder94
I work at a mom & pop stereo store and didn't realize Best Buy was so high.

We charge $60.00 for a deck and if we do a steering wheel interface it's free with the deck.

Check out Scosche, I believe they make an all-in one interface that includes the steering wheel interface, about $169 ish.

Too bad you're so far away.

To be honest, with all of this mostly plug and play, if you are even a little mechanically inclined, I bet you could do it yourself.
Good to know thunder94! I'm not sure that I could. I wouldn't even know how to get the radio out without tearing up some things. I rather have someone that already knows what they're doing do the install than me trying to figure out how and mess something up internally. Wish I could come up there however the Star Trek Beam Me Up hasn't been fully developed yet
Old 11-27-2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by oldracer
You did not mention if you car has existing steering wheel controls? If the steering wheel does, then there are adapters that include them so the cost of that module can be eliminated. They also have all the stock car beeps and chimes too. I installed a Pioneer X950BH GPS unit with blue tooth, hands free, USB interface, etc and it is great, just plugged in.

The only issue was having to cut out the rear of the plastic enclosure so the cables have plenty of room. I also had a hard time getting the stock antenna plug pulled for some reason but the guys at the shop I deal with said that happens a lot with the new antenna plugs. You can do the install yourself as everything just plugs in and the instructions that come with the adapters and such are generally great.
Thanks, oldracer. Yes I have the steering wheel controls. However, I'd rather have something that knows what they're doing than myself.

Blue
Old 11-27-2013, 05:32 PM

The waterfall pulls off, just friction clips holding it on. The radio has a couple of screws holding it in. All of those adapters are to make the plugs match up.

Just saying it's not rocket science. Do you think those guys wandering around BB are smarter than you are? They have to read the same directions.

Quick Reply: Head Unit Replacement Advice!