Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

HHR Audio Crash Course - Learn Me

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 07:46 PM

HHR Audio Crash Course - Learn Me

To preface I have dealt with swapping sound gear before, but it was 10 years ago and on 90's Hondas (super easy).

Since I am having the same problems as many other base stereo owners I want to deal with them. My passenger and rear speakers produce 0 sound unless the temperature is above 80 outside. Even then their function is intermittent and arbitrary. So here is what I want to know for replacing this garbage.

Stereo - I saw mention of losing all chimes and bells and throwing a CEL without a specific connector. How problematic is this, and what rectifies the CEL? The ding and bongs? Also, I assume any aftermarket stereo is still going to need an aftermarket mounting bracket and wiring harness, yes? (In no way will I be buying another GM radio as a replacement, so that is not an option)

Speakers - We have 6.5's on all the corners, correct? Are these on annoying GM specific mounting solution, or are they standard - i.e. will these need mounting adapters to fit aftermarket solutions? Has anyone had luck with avoiding adapters? Also, since I will not be replacing the tweeters (the only reliable speakers) will there be any issues to run in to with wiring? I also saw that some people mention needing to purchase speaker wire adapters to use aftermarket. Can they just be cut and spliced instead or is there a major advantage to the adapter?

Random - I haven'd done a double din - single din before. I assume I will need to get a single din cubby to fill the lower hole but will any head unit mounting bracket work without something filling the slot below it?

Thanks for all the help. I'm ready to get back to listening to actual music instead of just talk radio because music sounds like crap.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:47 PM

I used to do audio work on my car in the mid-90s. I'm not up to date on everything, but it seems to me that modern factory heads aren't the standard din sizes of the past.

I also think that if you have the means, there are two options for filling the dash space: a single din head with an EQ, or a big touchscreen head. Although if there were a head with a built in EQ, having a cubby there would be convenient.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:03 AM

You would want the hhr specific mounting kit, either single or double din depending on what head unit you end up using. Its true that you will lose chimes and turn signal clicks without the harness, plus onstar if you have it now. There are no CEL problems though, at least not with mine or any other that Ive heard of. I just hardwired my alpine without any harness, easy peasy.
If you have the base system, no xm or "CAT" button, then you will need hhr specific speaker adapters as the holes in the doors are not round. I made mine, but they are easy to buy online and not too expensive.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by prod
If you have the base system, no xm or "CAT" button, then you will need hhr specific speaker adapters as the holes in the doors are not round. I made mine, but they are easy to buy online and not too expensive.
So the upgraded stereos have normal brackets, but base doesnt? Interesting. For reference, I have the base everything so no onstar/XM/"CAT"/usb adapter.
Was making yours easy, or is it something you did because you are more skilled than the average joe? Did you use plans, or just eyeball it?

Also, double din units are out. I don't want to put the money into a super nice touchscreen nav, I have no need. And the double din stereos are unsightly and unnecessary, so I will stick to single din stereos. Is there a mounting bracket specific to GM/HHR or is it usually the one that you can buy with new headunits (i.e. crutchfield)?

Thanks for the help so far
Old 10-16-2012, 11:08 AM

crutchfield.com is the place to look. Buy the HU install kit free take a look real easy.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:26 AM

Here is my single din hu setup. The second pic shows the wire harness on the left and the chime box that the harness connects to which is in the middle. This was under $50 for the harness kit and makes it super easy. It makes it simple and quick. All you have to do is match the wire colors between the aftermarket HU and the harness kit then plug the harness kit into the factory radio connectors. Takes about 5-10 minutes for the wiring side of things.

Name:  huinstalled.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  193.1 KB

Name:  wirekitfull.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  144.1 KB
Old 10-17-2012, 02:23 AM

I bought my head unit used from a cobalt owner with the plastic mount and bezel included. I had to trim it a bit to make it fit.
This is the teardrop factory speaker and adaptor I made

Old 10-17-2012, 07:29 AM

Prod...is that the back door or the front? Has anyone narrowed down a cause for the read door speakers crapping out?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 AM

That's front, but they are pretty similar. You could swap front to back to test if the speakers are gone, could be the wiring or radio too. I think the 06 had a bulletin about reflashing the computer to fix audio issues.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:07 AM

It has come and gone a couple of times...thinking wiring issue, but haven't pulled the door panel to check yet.

Quick Reply: HHR Audio Crash Course - Learn Me