Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

HHR Noise & Vibration Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:59 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by OrangeWhip
Was that on Caraudioclassifieds?
I saw it on DIYMA.com.

But I have now seen his ad on other sites.

Several PM's between him and I and he ended up saying he'd take my $50.00 offer, at first he made a counter offer and I had said I wasn't really lookin for one and could wait. showed a pic of all my Pioneer stuff just installed in my car.

Glad he changed his mind and excepted my offer, this should help get the Loop in better, ever since I bought the HHR Panel, the loop was funky reception wise. And 30 years of listening to it in dozens of cars never had a problem recieving it before.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:18 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by OrangeWhip
I've got a B&W/Proceed/SIM2 theater myself. I dig Home Theater. That's why I own that business too.

Scott, Was that tuner on Caraudioclassifieds?

The brakes and hitch are done by none other than myself. I just can't see paying the dealer $340 for brakes. As for the hitch, Class II, and custom made...

The boat is a SeaDoo Speedster. They said it weighed 1700lbs, but when I went to my favorite truck scale tonight, I got around a 1150lb difference without the boat/trailer.

I hooked it up tonight, and drove around a little bit. My HHR seems to have the nads to pull it. I don't plan on passing on 294, or even going above 65 when towing. Cool thing was that my suspension didn't squat... I wanna see how it does going up the ramp, and if it can do it with no problems, I'll be hanging onto this car for a while.
Cool you got the brakes and hitch done dude.

OHH a BOAT, I was thinkin one of those 1 person looks like a snowmobile for the water things!

Was thinking cool should be an easy light tow.

Just pray your Clutch has the same set of Nads.

I was wondering if you could get good old Air Shocks for the rear end? For the towing.

We used to put those on our cars just for wide tires with DEEP Dish rims on back.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:33 PM

I dont go to the theater anymore the picture is not 1080p the projecters are not digital after a home theater why go out, the theaters cannot afford digital projectors cost $75,000.00, I did not mean to be critical of what you are doing to your HHR, I very seldom even listen to a CD when drivelig, took the antenna off as I dont listen the radio, have a great day.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by jay loukakis
I dont go to the theater anymore the picture is not 1080p the projecters are not digital after a home theater why go out, the theaters cannot afford digital projectors cost $75,000.00, I did not mean to be critical of what you are doing to your HHR, I very seldom even listen to a CD when drivelig, took the antenna off as I dont listen the radio, have a great day.
And the Theaters are smaller they broke them up to show more movies in the same space.
Plus you have a certain group that likes to yell and talk to the screen, that Pisses me off. Sit down and STFU.
Then cell phones going off.
My youngest wanted to see Rango, we took her to the movies to see it, I nearly fell over at the costs of the Cokes and the wife wanted nachos and cheese, MY GOD, no wonder no one wants to go to the movies! We stopped at Walgreens on the way and got the movie boxes of Candy thank god.

I did not take it as critical Jay.
When I am driving in my car alone, I like to Crank up some Tunes, be it by Radio, or by CD (I have over 2,500 Music CD's) and now adding the HD Radio Module will Up the broadcast sound Quality.
Gotta get myself a couple 32 gig SD Cards and load them up for in the Panel.
The head unit has a USB and SD Slots.

And when I have passengers, I can pop a Movie in or they can play video games in the back seat of my Panel, keeps then entertained.

I like Good sound and Good picture quality in Both my car and my home.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Rest In Peace

A little more on topic, I got the Drivers door finished up ready for the interior door panel.

I lazed out all day after working on this door from 3am-6am. Have been calling for thunderstorms today so after putting everything away Early this morning I just havent gone back out there to work on the rear doors.

Think I will go out and try to get one of the rear doors done this evening before it storms.

Name:  15d6a703.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  70.8 KB

Name:  b66b2f9f.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  46.1 KB
Old 08-12-2011, 11:11 PM

Nice project AP. Now you've got me thinking about this too. I don't really want to do this for a stereo system though. I am getting a little bugged by the Magnaflow muffler drone. Its not bad, just a little annoying when I am cruising around town. I would think the audio barrier would help. Let me know what you think since you obviously have experience with this stuff. I was thinking that if I did the floor it would help make the HHR feel solid and maybe drown out the cabin drone and road noise a bit? Also how much do you think would be needed to do the floor as you have? Also is this stuff like foamy or is it pretty solid butyl rubber like it advertises?
Old 08-13-2011, 12:53 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
Nice project AP. Now you've got me thinking about this too. I don't really want to do this for a stereo system though. I am getting a little bugged by the Magnaflow muffler drone. Its not bad, just a little annoying when I am cruising around town. I would think the audio barrier would help. Let me know what you think since you obviously have experience with this stuff. I was thinking that if I did the floor it would help make the HHR feel solid and maybe drown out the cabin drone and road noise a bit? Also how much do you think would be needed to do the floor as you have? Also is this stuff like foamy or is it pretty solid butyl rubber like it advertises?
Thanks Freek.

Sound deadening helps in a few ways. And it depends on what your after in how you should go about achieving it.

Basically it helps in 3 ways, dampens vibrations, quiets road noise into the cabin, and heat/cold.

Not the best on the heat and cold alone, if thats what a person is after they should also use a top layer of something like Ensolite. There are Tons of different products out there and everyone and their Mother has opinions on what and how you should do it.

I would suggest also getting Some Ensolite for muffer noise with the Sound Barrier.

My Main concerne was for creating a Good Audio enviorment inside. I did not take the extra Ensolite step, I thought I would do what I have done and go from there if I needed to add another layer of something.

So far, I do not think I will be adding anything, the Panel is Dead Quiet. The Doors feel 10Xs Better much more Solid feeling and far Less noise.

Tap on any of my sheetmetal and it's a Solid Thump sound now.
OrangeWhip was here and was Impressed with how Solid the car sounds now.
The whole Panel has a much more Solid feeling to it overall.

It's well worth the added cost and effort IMO.

It is Not a "foam" at all its a sold Butyl Rubber, very sticky.
I installed most of it in 90 degree temps so it was Very Sticky and more pliable, I did Not need to use a propane torch or heat gun.

I have used the propane torch on a couple of the doors doing them overnights with much cooler temps. mid 70's - upper 60's at night.

Be Careful with heating it, it turns soft and gooey Quick and the backing is hard to peel off.

I can give you some Tips and answer any questions you have anytime you want.

I'd say just the floor, you'll want 1 Bulk Kit (72 Sq Ft)
And something like the Ensolite to go over that and you should be pretty darn Quiet inside.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:00 AM
Rest In Peace

Just finished up the rear passenger door, only 1 left to do now.

Name:  0b295d97.jpg
Size:  50.9 KB

Old 08-13-2011, 04:42 AM
Rest In Peace

Well it's 4:30 AM and I Finished the last door, Drivers Side Rear.

Now I am DONE with the Audio Barrier with about a 1/2 sheet left.

Still gotta reinstall the interior door panels, installed the passenger front the other day, so I have 3 to go.

A few minor things left to do yet but the Bulk of this project is Done.

Name:  916661e3.jpg
Size:  64.9 KB

Name:  d8b5755a.jpg
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  d40c8ad9.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  53.4 KB

Name:  a7481642.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  63.7 KB

I'm goin for an extra large Dunkin Donuts coffee now.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:57 AM

Ok thanks. I was researching maybe just doing ensolite for a bit(cheaper), but it sounds like it really won't do much compared to the butyl products for sound deadening. I am just going to go with a bulk kit of audio barrier. Thanks for your input. I am definitely doing this after researching a little more about it. I really think this will keep my muffler noise outside where it belongs. I hope I get it installed before my road trip in two weeks.

Quick Reply: HHR Noise & Vibration Reduction