Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

HHR Noise & Vibration Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by ufvj217
how much was that purple kit?

im looking for some purple leds/neons/cathode tubes for under my rail buggy. its all flat black and i think purple would look badass underneath the chassis
I have bought all LEDGLOW, prices are pretty good, they sell PARTS when needed at really fair prices.
I bought direct from their website.

The click here for help from a live person deal that some websites have, Actually had a Person to answer questions. During the day.

But this last kit I found through Amazon sold by ledglow but sold by amazon, so it was Prime eligible. Supposedly on a "BLOWOUT SALE!" for $29.99, for that price I didn't even check the home sites price. With my amazon prime membership, I get free 2 day shipping, will be here Saturday.

http://www.amazon.com/BLOWOUT-SALE-P...3721863&sr=8-9

Awhile back, last year, I signed up for ledglows email list and Waited for a Sale to buy the stuff I have bought. Once or twice a year they run a decent sale, so if like me, you could wait it out, you'll save a decent amount on their already decent prices.

Selling the Replacement Parts and the live interaction with the reasonable prices sold me on them.

Alot of the other Brands, Don't or Won't carry Parts, if anything breaks, your Stuck buying the whole kit all over again, plus they cost alot more.

Heres a direct link to ledglow.
http://www.ledunderbody.com/led-car-...FWFjTAodm2W86A
Old 08-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by 843de
Man A&P, this is worse than the night before Christmas when you were five, can't wait to see the finished product. I look forward to every installment, thanks for letting us look over your shoulder.
Thanks. Glad some care to see it.

I kinda bought most things on sale as I could, not being in a hurry to get most items. Bought a few things from members here selling off things as well.
Just kept looking for stuff over the past year, now getting it all installed, one after the other.

There is an older still maintained Cemetary near me, it is set up on a hilly location and from the street there is a lighted clock tower that can be seen from the road. It's newer, but was built to look Old.

I would like to load my trailer with several of my Fog Machines, I think I have 8 of them but would only take 4 along, 3 or 4 of my Skeletons, some strobe lights, spooky music and sounds and my portable gas generator and pull up to it and quickly setup a scene and photograph and video my Panel there late at night.

I'd set the fog machines behind headstones in the distance and run cords to the generator and the lighting. I'd have to build electrical conduit frames painted flat black to support the skeletons in poses.
It would look pretty cool I think, but I'm sure the local Cops would have a Fit. Maybe I could bring a dozen or 2 donuts and a office box of coffee for them

Say we were doing a video project for a class or something.

(My wife just now tells me that someone was recently shooting a few scenes for a Movie at this cemetary.) She just said to ask for a Permit to shoot.

Not far from this Cemetary they shot scenes for a movie on a small lake here building a house out in the water.The Movie was called "The Lake House" and was shot on Maple Lake near me. (SMALL lake really lol)

They left the house up for 4 or 5 months after the shoot, just so locals could go see it after they were done, then came back and tore it all down, but part of the agreement was they had to Beautify the lake when done. They did.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:01 AM

AP...I gutted the HHR and laid down the audio barrier for 3 hours and I am not done yet! Geez. I hope to this is worth it! lol. No, I know it will be. I am just knocking on the chassis and can tell a huge difference. I noticed GM did nothing for sound dampening in the back but laid down some stuff under the driver and passenger seat.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
AP...I gutted the HHR and laid down the audio barrier for 3 hours and I am not done yet! Geez. I hope to this is worth it! lol. No, I know it will be. I am just knocking on the chassis and can tell a huge difference. I noticed GM did nothing for sound dampening in the back but laid down some stuff under the driver and passenger seat.
Cool.

Takes time to do it Right.

Just the greenish sorta color felt type thing in back and paper thin.

Hows the kit size you bought holding out so far? You may want 2 layers for the sound you want to deaden on the floor.

CLEAN that black stuff as I explained or Remove it before laying the audio barrier over it.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
Cool.

Takes time to do it Right.

Just the greenish sorta color felt type thing in back and paper thin.

Hows the kit size you bought holding out so far? You may want 2 layers for the sound you want to deaden on the floor.

CLEAN that black stuff as I explained or Remove it before laying the audio barrier over it.
Yeah I only made it up to where the rear seats are and I still have 4 sheets left. So I should be good for my floor project. I think one layer in the back is all I am looking for. The butyl rubber stuck to the metal is going to do a way better job than that silly felt garbage in the trunk area.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Rest In Peace

Yeah I only made it up to where the rear seats are and I still have 4 sheets left. So I should be good for my floor project. I think one layer in the back is all I am looking for. The butyl rubber stuck to the metal is going to do a way better job than that silly felt garbage in the trunk area.
I used denatured alcohol to clean all the metal as I went.

Put the piece back in tho, as it has the thicker wheel well cover pieces attached and is a cusion over the audio barrier in the spare tire well..

Doing as much as I did, basically my whole car, it's made a Huge difference.

Last edited by American & Proud; 08-19-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:48 AM

AP thanks for starting this thread. I never would have gone through with this project if I hadn't read this. I finished up the floor last night and took it for a spin. As soon as I fired up the HHR I noticed the difference. It just felt solid and quiet with the engine running and I have poly mounts. The drone is no longer and the road noise is hushed big time. I will put this in every car I own now. Amazing difference and I was only ~80% coverage on the floor. I did 100% coverage in the back and then moved to the front and did as far up the firewall as I could get and just used the remaining to fill in the middle. I calculated that I would need about 41 sq ft for the floor coverage so one more sheet would have been nice, but I not complaining because at the same time I didn't want to go buck wild and throw a bunch of money at this.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Rest In Peace

AP thanks for starting this thread. I never would have gone through with this project if I hadn't read this. I finished up the floor last night and took it for a spin. As soon as I fired up the HHR I noticed the difference. It just felt solid and quiet with the engine running and I have poly mounts. The drone is no longer and the road noise is hushed big time. I will put this in every car I own now. Amazing difference and I was only ~80% coverage on the floor. I did 100% coverage in the back and then moved to the front and did as far up the firewall as I could get and just used the remaining to fill in the middle. I calculated that I would need about 41 sq ft for the floor coverage so one more sheet would have been nice, but I not complaining because at the same time I didn't want to go buck wild and throw a bunch of money at this.
Awsome! Your welcome.

I am glad someone got some use out of this thread, besides me.

I started it mainly because most don't realize just how much of a Difference it truely can make. And for several types of situations.

For me it was helping get all I can out of my sound system, while quieting down road noise, quieting the sheet metal overall, and stiffening my Panel as a whole. The car just feels a whole lot better all around.

I think it was well worth the investment in time and some cash lay out.

I would not tell someone to invest in it (sound deadening with product of their choosing) if it did not make such a huge difference.

I'd meet up with anyone in the area who was curious to see and feel the after effects, I am sure they will be amazed at the difference, between my Panel done and before they did it to their own HHR.

OrangeWhip came by to look the wiring job over before we got started so he knew what he wanted to bring.

He knocked on body panels and the roof of my Panel and then started knocking on his windowed HHR and was very surprized by the difference, and decided it was well worth adding to his new install in his HHR.

I hoped all the pics I took for this subject inspires more to add some to their cars.

Glad you are happy with the outcome Freek.

Imagine doing the whole car like I did, how it would be.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:29 AM
Rest In Peace

Yesterday morning I decided on going with a Deka Intimidator AGM Battery instead of the CarQuest Extreme AGM battery.
More cold cranking amps @ 0 degrees, longer warranty, and was a little less money to boot.

If needed I will get a second one, and run dual batteries.

Name:  4315d93c.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  50.6 KB

2 page PDF link with info on them.
http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/1143.pdf

Old 09-02-2011, 10:59 AM

Thanks for keeping us update, A&P!

What a great thread! And its cool to see that it inspired OrangeWhip and hrfreek to do their vehicles. It has certainly made me want to do the spare tire/cargo area at the back.

And the firewall. Its horrible that there is no sound deadening material on the fire wall except the dash and carpets. So much engine and road noise enters from that firewall. Glad to hear that hhrfreek's efforts there drastically cut down the noise.

Quick Reply: HHR Noise & Vibration Reduction