Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Horrible Alternator Whine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:40 PM

Horrible Alternator Whine?

Ever since I ran a 4ch amp for my stereo, I've had horrible whine out of my speakers. My amps are mounted right about spare tire in the tray. I've grounded the headunit straight to body, ran two grounds for amp, grounded rca's on both the headunit and amp. I ran a extra rca over my seats and unplugged it from radio and had the whine, so I know it's from the rear. Anyone else ran across the problem? Is it cause my amps are so close to battery and the vehicle's main power wire? Would hate to relocate my amps where they're visible. Any help is appreciated.

Equip:
Digital Designs C5b
Massive Audio Ck5 6.5 Components
Old 06-28-2012, 08:45 PM

Search "12V noise filter" on your favorite search engine. It will filter the line voltage to your unit.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Breadfan
Search "12V noise filter" on your favorite search engine. It will filter the line voltage to your unit.
And I have ground loop isolaters on both channels. Forgot that! Any other ideas?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:55 PM

Okay, if you have filtered power then I suppose you could have interference to a signal wire rather than a power line. It is possible for the power line to induce a line noise in a nearby coil. Perhaps you may have to experiment with amp and signal wire placement.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Deceased

Yeah, it sounds like inductive interference to me too Breadfan, you may have to move some things around Chad.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:17 AM

There could be many many reasons inwhich you have alt whine. It could very well just be a bad amp or HU. You could have a speaker that is slightly grounding out.

My amp is in the storage bin location on the passanger side and wired directly to the battery and the battery ground. I am using the factory HU and a simple LOC to convert the factory signal to RCA's for my amp. I have replaced my front components but am still using the factory speaker wires. I have ZERO noise in my system and I use non of the anti noise devices that you have NONE.

I would try swapping out the amp and see if it is still there. If you can try the HU as well. Just do one item at a time until you find the bad component.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 AM

That's my next action, possibly moving the one amp underneath the rear seat or mounting to the seat back. I just wish I could keep them concealed!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:24 AM

First off does alternator whine increase with volume? Next explain full detail how all power wire and interconnects are run
Then ill reply with various test find your issue

Dont use ground loop isolators please thats a fix for ****ty installations.....
Old 06-29-2012, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by EcotecRacer
First off does alternator whine increase with volume? Next explain full detail how all power wire and interconnects are run
Then ill reply with various test find your issue

Dont use ground loop isolators please thats a fix for ****ty installations.....
18ga Speaker wires are ran from headunit to rear amp under passenger dash, then all the way down the side.

3 sets of RCA's ran under drivers dash and down the side.

Power wire is connected to pos batt terminal then ran around spare tire into a distrub block and to both amps above.

Ground wire from each amp ran around spare tire and to stock battery ground point on body. Extra ground ran from that point to bolt of seat latch.

All ground points are to bare metal, no paint.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:49 PM

Seat bolt area horrible ground fyi......take notice of factory grounds..

Do rca and any power cables run together. If they cross have them cross at 90degree

Does alt whine increase with volume or steady. So i know which test try

Quick Reply: Horrible Alternator Whine?