Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Horrible Alternator Whine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by chadlogan112
Update: yesterday I had a family member listen for whine. And asked him to let me know if it lessened as I lifted the rear amp tray, as it raised 6in, the whine disappeared completely. So my amps are just getting interference with the battery it seems. So I'll just relocate them to the seat backs I suppose.
I have my amp mounted in the rear tray right near the battery and I get zero whine. I would double check cabling and routing. When you lifted the amp you moved all the cables 6 in. So something changed. Could be a bad shield on one of the rca cables.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by EcotecRacer
You say to same location but you added a ground
Your electrical buddy should know rf interference changes with volume....as ohm change dc resistance changes, thus the square wave ripple increases and frequency of noise changes
Theres old trick of using a light bulb to show this

Are you sure you have alternator whine and not another interference?
I still suggest testing each ground for resistance if any vary there is your issue

Fyi an example is if you upgrade battery to amp and same for amp to ground but leave all other power and ground are factory this causes ground loop aka noise
I assumed it was alt whine, as it gets louder as I give the vehicle gas. The vehicle main ground and both amp grounds lead to same factory gound location, I just merely told another 4ga off that ground bolt, and attached it to a bolt about 2ft away as well. I don't know anyone local with such testing devices you say to use. Are you suggesting I need to upgrade the main 4ga lead from fuse box to battery, and ground cable from battery to ground?
Old 07-01-2012, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by celblazer
I have my amp mounted in the rear tray right near the battery and I get zero whine. I would double check cabling and routing. When you lifted the amp you moved all the cables 6 in. So something changed. Could be a bad shield on one of the rca cables.
Is you're amp for highs or a subwoofer? Both have filters for different frequencies.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:34 PM

What part of florida are you in? I may know installer near you
Old 07-01-2012, 05:52 PM

Daytona Beach Area
Old 07-01-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by chadlogan112
Is you're amp for highs or a subwoofer? Both have filters for different frequencies.
Both 2 amps. 1 4ch for F/R and a sub amp 2ch.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 PM

I have all three of my amps in spare tire well, with battery and a xs power cell. Along with a cascade power supply. No noise

All my power wire was upgraded

DAYTONA area should be several shops offer help and have o scope
Old 07-01-2012, 10:34 PM

I have all three of my amps in spare tire well, with battery and a xs power cell. Along with a cascade power supply. No noise

All my power wire was upgraded

DAYTONA area should be several shops offer help and have o scope
I'm going to go through the wiring I suppose again tomorrow! May just cave and do the big 3, in order to upgrade all the power. If able, please post photos of your setup. Very interested in how your batteries are setup underneath and so forth. I'm looking to keep my spare tire below, although, I may rid of it, inorder to run a couple batteries below.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:04 AM

It wont let me post from tablet for some reason.... ive no spare between onstar and aaa i see no need lol
Old 07-02-2012, 09:31 AM

It wont let me post from tablet for some reason.... ive no spare between onstar and aaa i see no need lol
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Even if I had a flat I'd have no time to change it during commute and have to call someone regardless, lol. When you upgrading all wiring, did you run 0/1 or 4ga from the engine bay? Did you go under the carpet, or beneath the chassis?

Quick Reply: Horrible Alternator Whine?