Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

How would you use this stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 AM

How would you use this stuff?

HU- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X596
Fronts- Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch 270-Watt Two-Way Component System claim to be 2ohm
Subs- 2 Memphis PR12S4V2 wired at 2ohm in a sealed box
Amps- Memphis 16-MCD500 for the subs
JL Audio JX360/4 for the fronts

Can I run the tweeters on 2 channels and the mids on the other 2? How would you do that? Seems HU has crossovers. How would you set that up and would that be considered active?
Would you just use the crossovers that come with the comps and run them on the 4 channel in 2 channel mode?
Or would you run the comps on 2 channels and maybe run some midbass speakers in the rear doors off the other 2 channels?

I would like to get the best sound quality I can with this stuff I already have, but if I have to buy some rear door speakers to get there would be fine.

Just tell me what you would do!

David
Old 11-12-2012, 01:10 PM

they way youy are describing it, that is called bi-amping. Most good four channel amps can do that with a crossover settings.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shanes0406
they way youy are describing it, that is called bi-amping. Most good four channel amps can do that with a crossover settings.
It's actually called running "active" like he described. Running passive is using the crossovers provided with the speakers. Running active is better, it gives you the ability to change the crossover points to where you like it vs. the passive crossover. Unless you have some high dollar components to where the crossover is adjustable.

I'd scratch the idea of anything in the rear door. I hate rear fill, it throws the staging off. Don't need it. So if you do want to run the front midrange/highs passive on 2ch of your amp and run some midbass on the 2, place the midbass drivers in the kick or do some custom doors. But with what you got, if you want to give active a try, go for it. It requires some testing but the end result is worth it.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:45 PM

Well then, thats what I want to do. Run tweets on 1&2 on HP around 320Hz, mids on 3&4 on HP around 80Hz and run subs with the mono amp with LP around 80Hz.
Does this sound right as a starting point?
Also, if I'm pushing 90 watts to the mids, what would be a good starting point for the tweets? I'm thinking 45 watts.
And thanks guys! I really appreciate the help.

David
Old 11-12-2012, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 8thmileman
Well then, thats what I want to do. Run tweets on 1&2 on HP around 320Hz, mids on 3&4 on HP around 80Hz and run subs with the mono amp with LP around 80Hz.
Does this sound right as a starting point?
Also, if I'm pushing 90 watts to the mids, what would be a good starting point for the tweets? I'm thinking 45 watts.
And thanks guys! I really appreciate the help.

David
Do you happen to know where there crossed at on the crossovers? Usually a good starting point. But 320hz is farrrr to low for tweeters.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eric B
Do you happen to know where there crossed at on the crossovers? Usually a good starting point. But 320hz is farrrr to low for tweeters.
No idea, but them numbers came from gain setting instructions I got off line. Don't know if that is just for tuning and needs re-adjusting afterwards. I'm dumb to this. Please steer me straight!

David
Old 11-12-2012, 06:03 PM

Just seen that the JX 360/4 only goes to 200Hz
Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by 8thmileman
Just seen that the JX 360/4 only goes to 200Hz
Well you can set crossover settings on your HU, correct? What you can do is set the amp to 'All Pass' and run the use the HU for the crossover settings. In your manual for the speakers does it happen to say where the tweeter and mid cross at?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:27 AM

So by "All Pass" do you mean full range with the filters on amp off? The manual for the JX360/4 says it is bi-amp capable and that the filters can be overridden. I just wish I new more about frequencies and crossover points, but I am learning alot.

Not much in manual, but found this on Crutch
Details:
2-way external crossover network (18 dB/octave, 3,500 Hz high- and low-pass) » 2-ohm impedance for extra power (compatible with virtually all factory or aftermarket car stereos) » tweeter adjustment circuits (0, +3 dB) » power range: 2-90 watts RMS (270 watts peak power) » frequency response: 53-21,000 Hz » sensitivity: 93 dB

2-Way Crossovers: These speakers include computer-optimized, voice-matched crossovers. Each crossover features an 18dB/octave, 3.5kHz high-pass network for the tweeter and an 18dB/octave, 3.5kHz low-pass network for the woofer.
Selectable Tweeter Output Level: Each crossover allows you to select the tweeter output level according to system requirements and personal preference. The tweeter level may be set to "+3 dB" or "0 dB."

Not sure if this helps! I'm also gonna see what the HU is capable of and get back with ya.

David
Old 11-13-2012, 09:45 AM

Here's what the HU manual says:

EQ Pro: The Excelon KDC-X596 features independent Bass, Treble, and Midrange control when the Preset EQ is in User mode. EQ Pro allows you to adjust the following settings for the Bass, Treble and Mid frequency levels.

EQ Pro
Bass- Center Frequency 60,80,100,or200 Hz / Q-Factor 1.00,1.25,1.50,or2.00

Midrange- Center Frequency 0.5k,1.0k,1.5k,or2.5k Hz / Q-Factor 0.75,1.00,or1.25

Treble- Center Frequency 10.0k, 12.5k, 15.0k, or17.5k Hz

High-Pass Filter: The KDC-X596 features a High-Pass Filter (HPF) for the front and rear channels. You can set the HPF to "Through", or 100, 120, or 150 Hz. The "Through" selection is a full-range setting. The HPF affects both the speaker and preamp outputs.

Subwoofer Controls: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X596 offers the following subwoofer controls, when you have the unit's subwoofer preamp output activated.

Low Pass Filter: The receiver features a built-in Low Pass Filter control for the preamp output, when the output is set to Subwoofer. You can select from 85 Hz, 120 Hz, 160 Hz, or off. Subwoofer Phase: You can adjust the phase of the subwoofer output between 180-degrees (Reverse) or 0-degrees (Normal). Subwoofer Level: Once the Subwoofer preamp output is activated, you can independently control the subwoofer preamp output level (-15 to +15) from the CD receiver.

So with this info how would you set it up?
As far as gain setting, I came up with: 500watts@2ohm would be 31.62 volts for the mono amp and subs.
90watts@2ohm would be 13.42 volts for the mids.
And would I push the tweeters with less watts? Say 45watts@2ohm would be 9.49volts.
I'm assuming I will need to set crossover points before the gains. True? False?
I have downloaded test tones from MTX but not sure if they are what I need and they don't say what dB they were recorded at. Do you have a better option for tones?

Thanks for all your help Eric!

David

Quick Reply: How would you use this stuff?