Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

I-pod Interface From GM

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 12:36 PM

I too have been very disappointed in my PAL. Slow interface aside my problem has been clicking and static interference in the audio signal when playing ipod audio through the PAL. Playing from a CD, radio, or ipod connected to the mini jack in the front of the radio and it sounds great. I have had my dealer replace my original PAL and still have the same issues as before. I ordered the Neucleus iPod Adapter NC-X2i from Cruthfield. I'll try to get it installed tonight and post results.

Last edited by turbotim; 06-24-2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: removed long link
Old 06-24-2008, 03:17 PM

Does anyone have a picture or wiring diagram for the Pioneer head unit? Are there RCA inputs on it? I'm trying to figure out options - not sure if I'm going to ask for a refund for the PAL. I hate being the customer that gripes about everything.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by turbotim
I too have been very disappointed in my PAL. Slow interface aside my problem has been clicking and static interference in the audio signal when playing ipod audio through the PAL. Playing from a CD, radio, or ipod connected to the mini jack in the front of the radio and it sounds great. I have had my dealer replace my original PAL and still have the same issues as before. I ordered the Neucleus iPod Adapter NC-X2i from Cruthfield. I'll try to get it installed tonight and post results.
In many cases, this interference can be eliminated by adding ferrite bands around the wires. This was recommended to me, and it worked. Picked them up at Radio Shack.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:38 PM

If only my problem was the interference. My sound quality is excellent (same as aux input). Its the slowness of the clunky interface that gives me fits.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by chevyorange
If only my problem was the interference. My sound quality is excellent (same as aux input). Its the slowness of the clunky interface that gives me fits.
Playlists are a necessity with the PAL. I have all my music sorted by playlists. Each album is a playlist. The only delay I have then is the movement between playlists. Once a playlist starts, moving forward and back within the playlist is quick and easy using the tuning knob (one click forward or back to move one song). Yes, moving through the alphabet takes time -- the farther you go (from B to S, for example) the longer it takes. I have found that creating playlists of music types that I prefer (mellow, dance, etc.) works very well, especially if I tell it to play random tracks from the playlist. Then it's always different each time I select the playlist.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:12 PM

I love my PAL!!
Old 06-25-2008, 02:53 PM

Well the Neucleus adapter I ordered does not work with our HHR's. I had it installed but it was non-functional. I verified that it would not work on the manufacturer's website. Its on its way back to Crutchfield.

Regarding the Ferret Bands are these the correct items? Would I place them around the harness going into the back of the radio? The cable going to the PAL control box or all of the above? Thanks for the tip by the way.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:38 PM

Yes, those are what I'm using. I've put them on one end of my wiring harness for the PAL, and at one end of the wires connecting my Sirius radio to the Aux in ports on the side of the PAL. I'm going to add a set to the other end of these wires, too.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:05 PM

I had the PAL system installed on my HHR in March, and I just wanted to share my thoughts on the system too. I just posted this in service as well.

Install

As a disclaimer, I was one of the first people at least in my area to get this installed. The parts and service people at Chevy did not even know what it was when I ordered it. But it arrived quick, and I soon had an appointment set up. But since my install was an experiment, I was there for at least 4 hours (I kind of lost count). Also, a small hole is drilled in the auxilary glove box to allow the cord to come in which is kind of bothersome, but no biggie for me. They put something on the cord on the hole to hide the marks.

The system itself

When I first plugged my ipod in, it took a while to load. Having had the system for a few months now, this is typical. The interface works okay; it isn't too confusing, and it allows you to pull things up in good categories (artists, songs, etc.). There is an ABC function that allows you to scroll to the appropriate letter of who you want. You can also apparently shuffle (although I have never gotten it to work--I need to make sure I am doing it right). It was nice to have good quality sound and track names and information displayed on the radio. Everyone that saw me use the system (well, if I was already playing a song) thought it was so cool that the songs pulled up. Oh, and my favorite part--a big chevy logo stays on your ipod the whole time.

However, the probems were noticeable right away. I immediately noticed a HUGE time lag in the system. Say I was in artists and going from A to P. It would take at least 45 seconds to a minute for the P category to pull up. Not that bad you say? Well, then you have to get to the artist. Not simple though. When you are trying to go from artist to artist, song to song, whatever it may be, it takes a LONG time. The system doesn't just scroll the information--it will load each artist when you go over them. Get caught on one, and you will wait a while until it allows you to go to the next one. Plus, it will start playing their music. Don't get caught on something you don't want your passengers to know you have, because you have no choice on whether it will play or not! You can somewhat trick the system by rapidly pressing the next button to skip the artist, but that doesn't always work, and it is very annoying as this can lead you to skip over who you wanted, then skip over them again trying to go back as you try to guess if it is going to work this time around. If this system had a scrolling system where you could go through the information and select what you want, the waiting time problem would be greatly cut, and it wouldn't be that bad. I have maybe 1500 songs on my ipod. Yes, a lot, and that has something to do with the load time, but the load time of the intial ipod isn't my big complaint here.

That isn't the worst of it though. If you have XM radio like I do (and subscribe/listen to it), you screw yourself out of XM. PAL runs on the XM band (you press band and cycle through XM twice-once will get you to XM, one to your ipod). It doesn't quite have it figured out though. When I listen to XM, the thing will constantly skip, and audio goes in and out. My assumption for this is that it is searching for the ipod as it does when you go to the XM1 ipod band. It is very annoying. Sometimes this is fixed by turning off the radio and turning it back on, but only until you turn the car off or go to a different band.

That isn't the worst of it either. I am a big music and audio guy, and there is a constant buzz/static type noise while you play your ipod. If you're jamming you won't hear, but it the song is quiet or you're listening to it quiet, you will hear it.

I am currently in and out of my chevy dealer trying to get this fixed. They have installed some digital receiver thing, made sure everything is installed and connected right, moved the whole system, etc., and nothing is working yet. They are working with tech support now to even try to say something to me. If the buzzing and XM thing isn't fixed, I am having it uninstalled with a full refund demanded.

This system is a great idea and value. When you get it working, it is very handy. However, all of the waiting and excess problems don't make it worth it. If I want to listen to a song quickly and I am not already in the artist letter category, I just plug in my auxilary cord into the jack because I don't feel like waiting. It may also be a big clue that GM is just putting a USB port in the car next year (I'm guessing PAL won't be offered at all). Maybe that can be retrofitted.

Either way, my advice would be to pass on this system if you were thinking about it. You will be better off controlling your ipod the old fashioned way.

I will try to get some pictures on here soon, and I will tell my dealer about the things to deal with the buzzing.

Last edited by jmstro04; 06-27-2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-27-2008, 09:48 PM

Pal

Thanks so much for posting. I'm disappointed because my results are exactly like yours. I'm so disappointed with the lag time - it is just unusable that way. And also like you said, as you're scrolling, if you "stop" anywhere during a scroll it automatically starts playing that song. I hate that.. there is no play/pause button. It just starts playing songs as your scrolling through if your scrolling stops for anything of a tenth of a second.

It is so disappointing (I have about 8,000 tracks) that when using my iPod I can find any song in that 8000 tracks in about 10 seconds tops. Put the PAL into play and it can take 5 minutes if you're patient enough to go through the grueling process.

I'm afraid I'm taking mine back. I'm going to have it removed even if they wont' refund my money. Its a clunker!

I'm gonna run off the AUX - same or better sound quality - and you can scroll through your music quickly. I think I'm gonna invest in a longer black 1/8" -> 1/8" plug and try to tuck it neatly against the face somehow to make it look a little nicer.

I will miss the iPod charging with the PAL but I have a charger and quite honestly, the iPods now will play 10 to 20 hours nonstop and anyone driving longer than that is on a serious road trip.

If anyone can post if they've overcome the dilemma of slow searching please post - I was hoping it was a bug or defective device... but I'm afraid GM has a turd on its hand.

Quick Reply: I-pod Interface From GM