Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

I-pod Interface From GM

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by tim_tenn
Well, sorry that the PAL doesn't cut it for you. Time to pursue other options. Like many others, I get along just fine with mine. The integration into the head unit and display are what matters to me. The ability to access everything without touching the iPod is great, and my iPod stays neatly and safely tucked away in the upper glove box. Even moving from one end of the alphabet to the other when searching playlists doesn't take a minute on mine -- maybe 20 seconds -- and doesn't bother me because once I get to where I want to be, I sit back and listen to my selection.
If it only took 20 seconds to get to a song I could live with it. The problem is, if I wanna hear Def Leppard - Photograph I have to scroll through 500 artists in alphabetical order (20 seconds tops) then scroll through all the albums (20 seconds tops) and then all the songs on the album (20 seconds tops). It really is the most kludgy step backwards from a fast, elegant solution!

I"m just surprised any engineer would approve of the way it works and it gives me great insight to the way GM thinks. And believe me, I'm GM guy!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:20 PM

I think you guys are expecting too much. If you want full speed iPod control...get a radio designed for it. Not a factory radio designed for a cd changer.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:58 AM

I'm not sure if we expect too much or if you expect too little, I won't pretend to know. I know that it is a lot of money to spend for something that hampers the way the iPod naturally works.

I'm not gonna get my money back but I'm back to using AUX.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by chevyorange
I'm not sure if we expect too much or if you expect too little, I won't pretend to know. I know that it is a lot of money to spend for something that hampers the way the iPod naturally works.

I'm not gonna get my money back but I'm back to using AUX.
I know that an Alpine 9780 HU that retails for $88.00 and an Alpine iPod cable that retails for $29.00 will absolutely perform flawlessly and sound better than the factory HU. Granted, it doesn't match the dash of our HHR's but neither does the radio that also matches a Malibu, Vette, Tahoe, Pontiac, etc...Look closely at the factory radio...it doesn't match the cars lighting, the controls don't match the HHR controls, etc. I know an Alpine will not match either, but, it IS an Alpine. My McIntosh gear doesn't match my wifes idea of living room decor, but, sometimes we have to sacrifice boring for dramatic. ...and function over form.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by collyn
I think you guys are expecting too much. If you want full speed iPod control...get a radio designed for it. Not a factory radio designed for a cd changer.
All I expected was being able to hear a song in a reasonable amount of time, and there are a couple of easy things they could have done to make this system a lot better, ie have a selection option where you pick what you want instead of it trying to play whatever little song you go to. I knew it would lag a little and be different than an ipod interface...
Old 07-07-2008, 09:34 AM

If it only took 20 seconds to get to a song I could live with it. The problem is, if I wanna hear Def Leppard - Photograph I have to scroll through 500 artists in alphabetical order (20 seconds tops) then scroll through all the albums (20 seconds tops) and then all the songs on the album (20 seconds tops). It really is the most kludgy step backwards from a fast, elegant solution!

I"m just surprised any engineer would approve of the way it works and it gives me great insight to the way GM thinks. And believe me, I'm GM guy!
Why don't you just go to the album or artist option and find it that way?
The way you seem to scroll through it (going by your description above), it is WAY TOO SLOW and cumbersome and I'd be pissed too.

You can use it just like the ipod--you know, make your choice by album, artist, genre, playlists, etc. or whatever.

If you plug it into the Aux, I doubt you'll be scrolling through 500 songs, then albums, then songs, right? so why do this in the car? Just asking...

It works fine for me, and it sounds great through the Pioneer system.

Good luck!

@ngelita
Old 07-07-2008, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by afs9
Why don't you just go to the album or artist option and find it that way?
The way you seem to scroll through it (going by your description above), it is WAY TOO SLOW and cumbersome and I'd be pissed too.

You can use it just like the ipod--you know, make your choice by album, artist, genre, playlists, etc. or whatever.

If you plug it into the Aux, I doubt you'll be scrolling through 500 songs, then albums, then songs, right? so why do this in the car? Just asking...

It works fine for me, and it sounds great through the Pioneer system.

Good luck!

@ngelita
That is the artist option. You have to go to the D, then go through all the Ds, then go throw all the albums of that artist, then the particular song, none of these except for turning the dial to D are an easy feat.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:05 AM

Yes, thanks for replying for me, of course the demo I gave was for the artist! Shocking huh?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by jmstro04
That is the artist option. You have to go to the D, then go through all the Ds, then go throw all the albums of that artist, then the particular song, none of these except for turning the dial to D are an easy feat.
Yes, thanks for replying for me, of course the demo I gave was for the artist! Shocking huh?
Since nothing is going to make ya'll happy, just take it out, plug it into the AUX and scroll through that way. I assume it will let you do this and get to "that" song. The interface and sound works fine for a lot of us, others have different expectations. My Blackie had it installed when I bought him, never owned an ipod before that, and once I RTM and saw how it worked, it is fine for me.

Living in a place where I can keep the sunroof open ALL the time, I do take my 'toons seriously--so understand the frustration there.

Personally, I just hope I'm not behind either one of you if you are trying to do this while driving as yeah, it is a pain to work.

Rock on!

@
Old 07-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by afs9

Rock on!

@