Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

inputs for an amp

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:08 PM

inputs for an amp

whats the best way to run rca's to an amp with the stock radio, maybe the wire diagram or wire colors would help
Old 01-10-2006, 11:34 PM

Since the stock radio outputs are speaker level, you will need to buy a line-level converter. Unless you are using an amp with speaker level inputs, like a Pioneer, which has both.

There are 3 different radios in HHR's:

1) 2LT (or upgrade) 6-disc head unit, 7-speakers (Separate components in front doors; woofer + 1" tweeters in A-pillar), 6-1/2" in rear doors, 8" subwoofer with attached amp.

2) 1LT (or upgrade) Single disc head, 7-speakers (Separate components in front doors; woofer + 1" tweeters in A-pillar) no sub.

3) LS = cheaper head unit, cheaper speakers, no sub.

I've heard all three extensively, and unless you have #1 or 2, I wouldn't waste your time adding an amp to #3 - it has a very poor tonal quality. You are much better off replacing it with a new head unit like a Pioneer with the MOSFET 50x4 internal amp.

Pioneer heads are known for their outstanding tone quality. You can find a decent one starting from $139 (DEH-3400). Some other good Pioneers to check out are:

DEH-3800
DEH-7700
DEH-P80MP

I run a Pioneer DEH-8600 with 24-bit Burr Brown DAC's and the sound is fantastic.
That may be a bit more than you want or need - but I own a recording studio and am very particular about my sound.

Still, I would highly recommend swapping to a Pioneer head over the stock unit.

Hope it helps,
Old 01-11-2006, 05:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Since the stock radio outputs are speaker level, you will need to buy a line-level converter. Unless you are using an amp with speaker level inputs, like a Pioneer, which has both.
Yup.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Yup.

Well, with posts like that Captain, you will be at the 2000 mark by the end of the day! You know I am just bustin your balls! lol But that is some good info, I will definitely consult with with SoCal when I upgrade!
Old 01-11-2006, 10:44 AM

You don't HAVE to get a line level...but it's ideal, as most of them will come with gain controls on the units themselves...if you don't feel the obligation to pick one up (can be had for $15-20), you can cut off one end of the RCA's and use tap into a speaker lead with them.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by snova031
You don't HAVE to get a line level...but it's ideal, as most of them will come with gain controls on the units themselves...if you don't feel the obligation to pick one up (can be had for $15-20), you can cut off one end of the RCA's and use tap into a speaker lead with them.
NO!!! Don't do that. You will damage the inputs on the amplifier, not to mention if it works at all before letting all the smoke out, the sound will be distorted. That convertor is there to cut the voltage down.

Oh and those aren't gain controls, those are level matching adjustments. The convertor adds no gain to the signal.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:33 PM

Meh, you're right...but...if he's got an externally amplified factory system, he probably has low level lines from the radio to the factory amplifier...in which he can just do what I said...depends on what the factory system consists of...

gain=level in my book :). A gain controls the input voltage...
Old 01-11-2006, 09:11 PM

Meh, you're right...but...if he's got an externally amplified factory system, he probably has low level lines from the radio to the factory amplifier...in which he can just do what I said...depends on what the factory system consists of...

gain=level in my book :). A gain controls the input voltage...

What you said was:

tap into a speaker lead.

And, if you give that advice to a novice, they will do just that, and SMOKE CITY!

Any job worth doing is worth doing right. And, it's a good idea to use correct terminology because this is exactly how people get cofused and destroy things based on someone's advice who was merely trying to be helpful.

"Oh Sorry, that's not what I MEANT," Does not exactly fix the problem later.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by crazybob
What you said was:

And, if you give that advice to a novice, they will do just that, and SMOKE CITY!

Any job worth doing is worth doing right. And, it's a good idea to use correct terminology because this is exactly how people get cofused and destroy things based on someone's advice who was merely trying to be helpful.

"Oh Sorry, that's not what I MEANT," Does not exactly fix the problem later.

I was never good at explaining things :)

It would be logical to tap into the leads behind the radio, rather than the speaker, though- I mean, the speakers are in the door..gonna be a pain to try and catch the wires in the doorjam or on the floor...much easier to pull off the dash and grab them behind the radio...

If it was a car with speakers in the back dash, then it's cake to grab speaker leads...when they are all in the doors, like the HHR, personally, I go behind the radio...I guess I should be more specific :)

Anywho...I'd look into something more then just a LOC....IMO, LOC's kill the imput signal, causing you to turn around and boost that signal VIA EQ'ing, or just cranking the levels on the LOC...which introduces noises...static, whines, etc. I'd looking into something that was better built for factory integration...like the JL Cleansweep...:)

The LOC will get the job done...it'll do what you need it to do- but I'm not a big fan.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:21 AM

im not a newby. just wanted to know where the best place to get signal from was. i will soon put in aftermarket head unit and wont need the help you failed to lend me.

Quick Reply: inputs for an amp