Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:49 AM

Question Install Help

This is my first stereo install and I just want to do it right with the lease amount of headache as possible. Yesterday, I removed the stock radio and installed my new door speakers. I have yet to install my new HU. It sits in the box as I wait for a harness from crutchfield.

I’m not going for the best of the best here. Just a simple system that should sound better. The stock system sounds good. However, I want to rock. So I need to know where is the best place is for the ground wire and is a always on connection “Yellow wire” strait to the battery or can I find a always on 12v connection up front somewhere?

Sony CDXGT920U
Sony HD Radio tuner
4 infinity reference 6012i
1 infinity Bass link sub

Harness
PAC's C2R-GM11

Any install tips would be appreciated.

Fred.

Last edited by ICUFOS; 09-06-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:37 PM

The power to the stock radio IS always on, well at least while the vehicle is operating(edit:yes, it is always on, vehicle operating or not). The radio is turned(controled) off by RAP. RAP to the radio is from the BCM via a CAN bus.

Theory: The factory radio has to always be ON - the chimes and turnsignals are audio from the radio.

I have never done a radio install on this vehicle, but I would bet your questions will be answered in the instructions with the harness.

EDIT: The inside fuse box/BCM is just below the radio at the passenger's feet. There is a BIG red/black fused wire that comes directly from the battery on the exposed connector. Frame ground is the mount that holds the BCM/fuse box. It may not seem to be a good ground, but it is close by.

Last edited by Sno White; 09-06-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:18 AM

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:18 PM
RFT

Originally Posted by Sno White
Theory: The factory radio has to always be ON - the chimes and turnsignals are audio from the radio.
Originally Posted by Sno White
EDIT: The inside fuse box/BCM is just below the radio at the passenger's feet. There is a BIG red/black fused wire that comes directly from the battery on the exposed connector. Frame ground is the mount that holds the BCM/fuse box. It may not seem to be a good ground, but it is close by.
Your theory is quick and ICUFOS won't need to worry about wiring from the fuse box if they want always on power. The power wire from the wiring harness will provide power all the time so you can control it through the new HU. This is how mine is setup and works flawlessly.

Do note, depending on the HU, you may have to connect the single lead from the harness to two leads for the HU. If you do and are using the HU's amp, you may want to research the HU's power draw for the power lead.

Good luck!