Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

iPhone cuts out on stock USB radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 12:14 AM

iPhone cuts out on stock USB radio

Has anyone had trouble with the USB connection on the UUI stock radio to an iPhone?

Occasionally the music cuts out completely, takes a few moments (or minutes), and then will come back.

Other times, no matter how many times I reconnect the radio still says "no device connected". The only thing that seems to fix it is to shut off the car - not a good option on the freeway.

Has anyone had either of these problems? Would that be a warranty item?

Is this common? Does anyone have NO problems with an iphone and the UUI radio?

(2009 SS)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by paulBvtn
Has anyone had trouble with the USB connection on the UUI stock radio to an iPhone?

Occasionally the music cuts out completely, takes a few moments (or minutes), and then will come back.

Other times, no matter how many times I reconnect the radio still says "no device connected". The only thing that seems to fix it is to shut off the car - not a good option on the freeway.

Has anyone had either of these problems? Would that be a warranty item?

Is this common? Does anyone have NO problems with an iphone and the UUI radio?

(2009 SS)
On page 3-74 of the 2009 HHR owner's manual it reads;
" USB Supported Devices
• USB Flash Drives
• Portable USB Hard Drives
• Fifth generation or later iPod
• First, Second, or Third generation iPod nano
• iPod touch
• iPod classic

Make sure the iPod has the latest firmware from Apple for proper operation. iPod firmware can be updated using the latest iTunes application. See apple.com/itunes."

With reading this information and more information on pages 3-75 and 3-76, I am not wondering if there is an issue with compatibility since it is an iPhone and not an iPod. However, I am not a technician and we are not able to diagnose this on the internet. I believe it would be in your best interest to contact your local Chevrolet dealership's service department for more information about your concerns.

In regards to the warranty questions; this should be something that is covered under the new vehicle Bumper to Bumper Limited Warranty if it is diagnosed to be a defect. The Bumper to Bumper Limited Warranty has a time frame of 3 years OR 36,000 miles, whichever happens first.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Founding Member

I would try another cord. I have seen them work fine under most uses but cause this issue when plugged into the USB of a GM vehicle.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 AM

It's not the cables

I have tried multiple cables, about eight actually and still I am unable to get the stock radio to recognize that my iphone is plugged in. Yet it will still charge it and disable control of the music app as if it was working. This has become so frustrating for me.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by NappiiRoots
I have tried multiple cables, about eight actually and still I am unable to get the stock radio to recognize that my iphone is plugged in. Yet it will still charge it and disable control of the music app as if it was working. This has become so frustrating for me.
That doesn't mean it isn't the problem that the OP is having.

What software version is loaded on your Iphone?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I would try another cord. I have seen them work fine under most uses but cause this issue when plugged into the USB of a GM vehicle.
I doubt that's it, but I will swap out for a quality (Apple original) cord and try it for a few days...
Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 PM

I am using iOS 5.1.1 and I have used a few Apple branded sync cables as well as a Monoprice one, an Amazon Basics one and a Dynex one. I don't doubt there is an issue with the iOS firmware and the stock radio but at this point I don't see how it could be the cable. I wish there was a way to update the radios firmware so it was more accepting of Apples updates.

By the way iOS firmware 5.1.1 is the latest firmware version for the iPhone.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 PM
LBJ

Originally Posted by paulBvtn
I doubt that's it, but I will swap out for a quality (Apple original) cord and try it for a few days...
Did this fix your problem? I just got my radio replaced due to the info button sometimes not working and am having the exact same issue, but it happens everytime I connect my iPhone. It plays for a second or two, and then cuts out. I've got an iPhone 3GS running iOS 5.1.1 and an '09 SS.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:22 AM

I've tried several cables. I'm not sure they made an impact.

However my phone has been working pretty consistently recently and I have no idea why.

I did spray all the contacts with cleaner on my cradle.

Good luck!

P
Old 10-01-2012, 03:54 PM

I'm having the same problem, anyone found a way to fix this?

Quick Reply: iPhone cuts out on stock USB radio