Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

iPod Placement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:32 AM

iPod Placement?

Hey folks,

Due to the notable lack of shelf space in the HHR, I'm wondering where most of you are putting your iPods? Are you installing a bracket to hold it or just leaving it in the cubby by the window switches?

I have mine in the cubby, but have the wire draping down. While it is not of grave importance, I'd like to have the wires up out of the way.

Pics would be awesome if you have em.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Norsican
just leaving it in the cubby by the window switches?
My window switches are on the door but yes I do keep it in the center cubby under the radio. I don't care for the wire hanging down either and there is enough of it I could put it in the back seat
Old 07-21-2008, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
My window switches are on the door but yes I do keep it in the center cubby under the radio. I don't care for the wire hanging down either and there is enough of it I could put it in the back seat

Kinda what I was thinking. It's not terribly in the way. Seems to be what that cubby was actually designed for.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:00 AM

haven't ridden with the ipod a lot, but i will most likely keep it in the cubby. You can find shorter cords for it, but they're harder to find, i don't want to use my 6' with it. You can find 3' at the store, and 1' online.

I mostly haven't been using the ipod because of the XM, but i will be buying one of these soon.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1035

love the right angle connector so that it lays down the radio better. Plus using a doc connector is so much better then the headphone jack, and if you click on the enlarge photo thing in the description on that link, you'll see its a coiled cord, so it should sit there good without a lot of cord laying all over, and then you can still reach 4.5' with it if you need to.

I would love if they had a regular aux hookup in the back so we could wire them where we wanted, but that's just me dreaming. I don't want the PAL, but I want it to look seamless and stock.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:32 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Norsican
Hey folks,
Due to the notable lack of shelf space in the HHR, I'm wondering where most of you are putting your iPods?I have mine in the cubby, but have the wire draping down. While it is not of grave importance, I'd like to have the wires up out of the way.
Pics would be awesome if you have em.
Having the ipod housed in an arm band is one of the best ways to keep the ipod from winding up under the seats!

Here's a pic of my "set up"............ipod w/ arm band......just slip it over the shifter.......as far as that 6' cord.......had an unused wire holder just sitting in the home office.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:09 PM

I use a combination charger and dock that I leave in the cig lighter. A wire runs from the base of the charger up to the aux. jack, and all I need to do is drop the iPod into the cradle and I'm good to go. It charges as it plays and I don't wear our my headphone jack every time I get in and out of the car. It holds the Ipod within easy reach (about level with the CD/AUX button) and I never have to search for it. I love it.

I got this thing at Best Buy for about $40 and I think it goes by the name "flex tune" or something and will fit all models of dock-able iPods except the Shuffle. I'll try to get a photo up in the next few days.

<<EDIT>>
Here's a photo I found on-line of the thing. It's great! My wife calls it the Magic Stick.

Last edited by Canada Jeff; 07-21-2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 07-21-2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by jx3
Having the ipod housed in an arm band is one of the best ways to keep the ipod from winding up under the seats!

Here's a pic of my "set up"............ipod w/ arm band......just slip it over the shifter.......as far as that 6' cord.......had an unused wire holder just sitting in the home office.
haha, Bungee the iPod to the shifter. Nice.

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
I use a combination charger and dock that I leave in the cig lighter. A wire runs from the base of the charger up to the aux. jack, and all I need to do is drop the iPod into the cradle and I'm good to go. It charges as it plays and I don't wear our my headphone jack every time I get in and out of the car. It holds the Ipod within easy reach (about level with the CD/AUX button) and I never have to search for it. I love it.

I got this thing at Best Buy for about $40 and I think it goes by the name "flex tune" or something and will fit all models of dock-able iPods except the Shuffle. I'll try to get a photo up in the next few days.

<<EDIT>>
Here's a photo I found on-line of the thing. It's great! My wife calls it the Magic Stick.
This looks like something that I may be interested in. I want something to keep it up and out of the way. Certainly Kicks arse for road trips with the charger and what not. Will it drain the battery if left in the charger continuously?

Anyone with pics of installed brackets?

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 07-21-2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Removed pic from link
Old 07-21-2008, 01:21 PM

I hope this link works. It's not the best pic, but you get the idea. It's a bracket I found online that mounts to one of the screws on the radio behind the dash.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...1/PICT0196.jpg
Old 07-21-2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by jayhawker
I hope this link works. It's not the best pic, but you get the idea. It's a bracket I found online that mounts to one of the screws on the radio behind the dash.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...1/PICT0196.jpg
Does this intrude into the passenger area much/at all?
Was installation (pulling the dash apart) difficult
Old 07-21-2008, 01:46 PM

pulling the dash apart is super easy, i had it off and my radio out in about 3 minutes flat. just place a big flat head screw driver where there is a separation about half way up from the vents. Place in there, slowly pry up, it'll release, do other side, then just carefully pull it out. It's just all clips.

If you take it all the way out, or want to. you have to disconnect the wire behind it. i just disconnected the ones at the bottom and laid the whole thing on the dash with the top wires still connected.

when you out it back together, the bottom is tricky and takes some practice, there is a ridge it has to fit behind and a little nub that has to be pushed in for it to click. Super easy though, so much easier then my jimmy. Technically you can do it without tools you just gotta hook your fingers into the air vents and pull loose.

There is a how to on the socal hhr site.

Quick Reply: iPod Placement?