Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

iPod Placement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:48 PM

That was a Ten Technology FlexibleDock - they're out of business and you can't get them any more.

I'm now using a TuneFlex (see post from CanadaJeff above) because the FlexibleDock died a horrible death-- same placement.

I can see the screen and operate the iPod perfectly from this location. I personally don't like the location of the brackets-- they are way too far to the right and don't blend all that well. I love the idea, but don't love the location and look.

I bought a right angle aux cable and have it routed behind the dash. Other than the small part of the cable showing (see the pic below), the wires are hidden.

For my next HHR (soonish), I'll be using a modified DICE cradle eventually connected to a rear aux port (added through GM's PAL or another interface) for a cleaner install.

I don't want to control the iPod through the radio, so I won't be using that part of GM's interface, if I do go that route.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:58 PM

I bought mine at www.myradiostore.com. Bracketron mount HHR part number CHE-101-05. It does not bother the passenger. You can also mount other things there like GPS,XM etc.
Attached Images   
Old 07-21-2008, 02:19 PM

Hey Suburban, That's pretty much what I was talking about right there. bad thing Is the "flex tune" charges while it's in use. Is there a solution for that?

how was installation? Did the Dash come apart for you without too much prying?
Old 07-21-2008, 02:27 PM

i dig the bracket off to the side like that, i would love to put my GPS there, only problem is then you always have this bracket stick out even if you;re not using it. Plus along with the gps suction cup ring on the windshield, having a bracket sticking out screams, break in and see if there is anything good in this car...

i would love if just a little piece was sticking out of it and then you slid the rest of the bracket on to that, so you cold remove it.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:33 PM

Norsican--

As far as the TuneFlex goes, if you hook it up to a switched power source, it won't drain the battery and the iPod will pause automatically when you turn off your car.

IMO there's no other acceptable way to install it.

Last edited by HHR Nut; 07-21-2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: addressed to wrong person :oops:
Old 07-22-2008, 11:33 AM

Since I put this in I went with PAL for my IPOD. I plan on using this for a GPS. I don't think these are too far to the right, I find it is esay access.

When I took mine apart I took the shifter cover off,just so I wouldn't scratch anything replacing. Just take your time it is not diifucult.

John
Old 07-22-2008, 11:55 AM

No doubt HHRNUT.

Suburbanjunior - Why a GPS? You get lost much?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:12 PM

NO But is good for gas prices and finding things in areas you are not familiar with. I like getting lost every once in awhile.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:16 PM

Don't you have to subscribe to some service or something for that feature?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:18 PM

I think it is the tomtom that has it on some of the more expensive models. The more you spend the more you get, sometimes.

Quick Reply: iPod Placement?