Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

My audio system pics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:09 PM

Yeah I was thinking I could maybe find a wrecked HHR at the grave yard and possibly get a panel out of that. I always competed with IASCA. I also never broke 100 watts with any of my systems. I really liked the 0-100 watt class. IDQ subs are nice. I never did put the horns in but I started test fitting them and the old CD1E full size horns will fit fairly comfortable up under there. Problem for me is that the factory tweeter grills built in the pillars are so aesthetically pleasing I kind of want to put them to good use. But then again if the horns are aimed correctly everyone will think that the sound is coming from the pillars anyway so I may have just talked myself back into it again lol! I'll tell you one good thing about the HHR.....If you have the Pioneer system the factory radio has a very high (low level) output. I'd guess more than 4v. This go around I'll be installing 370 watts. For me that is an insane amount of power, and with the factory radio output so high I will be able to keep the gains really low and get some nice clean sound. I think I will use one of those thin mount RF 10" subs and build a fiberglass sealed enclousure that will fit behind the panel. Then I will cut a shape out of the panel for a custom grill (to hide the 8" hole) made from wood an metal mesh and paint it to match that silver/grey color on the door panels and steering controls. I'm using Eminence 6.5" midranges and I think I'll stick with them as they sound great. Then maybe the horns, still not sure yet? I am so glad I saved all this old stuff cause these installs only cost me peanuts compared to starting from scratch!!! I tell you, they need to bring back the SQ comps again. Problem is the competition scene is going downhill fast. I'm sure you, like me, were pretty upset when they cancelled your Car Audio and Electronics subscription about 10 months ago! That to me was the end. Now it's all the "Full car customizing" shops. Rightfully so because that West Coast Customs place does some sweet clean work when they want to. I really want to open a shop with my son so like I said in my previous post, before I start this new project I need to come up with a cool catchy name and start an LLC out of my garage and if it outgrows my garage I will take the plunge It's pretty cool to finally run across someone on here that shares the same intrests. As for my current system that RE 8" pounds!!! I'm telling you......I was so shocked when I first turned it on. It plays crazy deep and clean. I chose it because of its low Q rating. The factory box is approx .35 cuft which will work well with most subs made today. The only other thing I was thinking of doing was to keep the 8 and flip it back around and use one of those pre-made black steel and mesh round grills (10" cause the factory cutout is already to big for an 8") that you can get almost anywhere for like $10 and mounting that to the panel for a nice finished look. I'll still have to cut the panel up but I won't have to deal with all the fiberglass work. I know what you mean with the boxes just thrown in. They could look really nice with some trim work to extend it each side and some nice vinyl or carpet work. I like for my cars to look like for example Chevy put in a limited edition xtreme system in my ride. I'm also going to add small details like the Chevy bowtie and stuff like that to give it the "custom factory" look. The amp/electronics area will be a free for all because it will still be hidden under the floor. It will have neon lights hidden in it to make it glow but still look very classy and cool.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:04 AM

yeah i was annoyed when ca&e went under. i had been a subscriber since 91 and had stopped for a few years and then like a year ago a kid comes around selling magazine subscriptions and i went ahead and got a two year subscription, get like one month of the magazine and then now im getting automobile instead, i was pretty dissapointed.

thats good to hear on the output of the headunit, i think if i would have replaced it i would have went with a screen style unit like i have in my sunfire but i wouldnt want to pay the money for it and im not going to show this car enough to get any sponsorhsips for it so i'll problaby keep the stock headunit lol. with the satelitte radio and a 6 disc changer it has what i need really.

i had thoughts of doing this origonally as a profession, opening my own shop but my back sucks and after afew days of working on cars my back is killing me. so good luck if you can do it man.

one thing ive done with speaker grills is to just take some cpeaker cloth and wrap the grill with. it gives a really nice finish and makes it look a little more factory then a standard grill.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:31 AM

Thats the reason I compete in MECA its about sound quality and not install. They have them in seperate classes. A person can do one or the other or both. Its up to the competitor. It is by far IMHO the best org for sound quality competition. I just wish I couldve competed more this year and qualified for world finals again. I did last yr but it happened close to the same time as layoffs which also kept me out this year. But Ill be back next year, hopefully with new stuff. My local team shop is becoming a Hertz/Audison dealer and a new set of Hertz MLK's and an Audison LRx5.1 amp are calling my name. Along with either an Alpine 701 and single din dvd or an Audison BitOne. Well enough of my ramblings. MECA is always looking to expand and maybe they can get out that way.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Lol! Yeah talking about all this stuff made me get a little nostalgic and google for shows. Nothing came up at all? Looks like everything just ended recently. There is one of those Hot Import Nights shows coming up in AZ around December. I don't even know if a "Chevy" can attend? But if it can I might take my son out there (who loves those kinds of cars) and show it off a little. Give him a thrill cause I kind of force him to help me build these systems......A little father and son bonding time He seems to enjoy it though so it's all good.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:04 PM

yeah steve stern with meca is a good guy and wanted something where guys who were into it for the sound quality and not all the flashy extra stuff to get the extra points and stuff. i judged for him back in 99 and just got to busy to keep it up.

tahenke, you can enter a chevy, they have a gm class. its basically you against every other gm vehicle there. which normally there are only a couple. ive copeted in it a few times but i have allot of issues with there judging system, like they judge you higher depedning on what brand of tires you have on it. so basically two cars. both with brand spanking new tires on it, brand x they will score higher then brand y just because of the name on the tire. or things like undercarriage, if your wheel isn't pulled of the car to show it off they wont give you any points even if they can see the work done with the tires off. its fun if you like those cars wich i do but its just a poorly way to judge a show in my opinion. entry fees for spectators are also salty, think they wanted $25 a person to get in. i think entry fee is 50 bucks so you get better parking to enter lol. but you also have to pull the car in the night before and you have to preregister and send in a full list of mods and pics for them to approve you. can't just show up and enter.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:11 PM

Yeah I noticed they had some big form to fill out for registration. All I have to show is basically a factory ride with a nice stereo in it. Maybe it won't be cool enough to be "Fast and Furious" lol! Maybe some rims by then but not sure? I'm more of an old car guy but some of these little cars look pretty cool when done right and not all "Pepboy'd" out! If you know what I mean. My son is 16 and these are his hot rods so I thought it would be cool for him to have people look at the car and maybe compliment him on it or ask him questions about it and make him feel like a bigshot. Plus I think we will both enjoy all the hot ladies running around! lol I know I will for sure!!!