Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Need help with wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:08 PM

Need help with wiring harness

Hello, all. I picked up my 08 SS yesterday, which has the upgraded Pioneer system. I have an Alpine W505 to install and was not sure what harness I need. Looking at Crutchfield they recommend a $200 adaptor that maintains the chimes, onstar, and factory amp. The thing is, however, that I do not want to use the factory sub and amp and have read that if you do not use the amp the harness is pointless. Is there anything I can use to keep the chimes and onstar but allow me to use my own amps? Thanks!
Old 03-11-2010, 11:02 PM

as far as I know the module that keeps onstar and chimes will work either with or without the factory amp / sub. just cut and terminate the speaker leads going out of the harness if you plan to use rca's out of the head unit for all channels, or tap into the speaker leads out of the harness to wire to your speakers if your only amplifying the sub.

if you want to keep onstar and chimes that is the way to do it, there are other ways which would lose either or both of these features for a less expensive harness. btw crutchfield is overpriced, but helpful for info. try sonicelectronix.com when your ready to buy.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:05 AM

Thank you for the reply. I was reading the sole review of the LAN-04 harness on crutchfield and the person said that if you do not use the factory amp with the unit you would lose onstar and the chimes?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:07 AM

hmm.. actually sounds like it might be true, i didnt chose to keep onstar myself, i didnt think about that... i hope someone who has done this can chime in. I was jsut trying to help since no one was responding.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:03 AM

Here's what Ive found on this ....

Description

GM amplifier interface harness. Retains chimes and accessory. Works with or without onstar and provides navigation wires.

Product Specifications
•For 2006-2008 Chevrolet HHR, Pontiac Solstice, Saturn SKY with amplified audio systems
•Retains Onstar with adjustable volume output
•Retains chimes with adjustable level output
•Retains RAP feature
•Navigation outputs now included
•USB update interface compatible
The GMOS-LAN-04 interface is designed to allow the user to replace the OEM radio with an aftermarket unit in amplified 2006-08 Chevrolet HHR, Pontiac Solstice, and Saturn Sky that use the new GMLAN data bus system and retains full functionality of the Onstar system as well as all safety and warning chimes. The GMOS-LAN-04 will also retain the retained accessory power convenience features. This interface has the capability of adjusting chime and Onstar volumes as well. In addition to these features, the GMOS-LAN-04 now has the required outputs for the installation of a navigation radio.

I can call them to verify - But, I believe you can use this either way- It just will require the use of an External Speaker.. Or using the AUX input of the new radio ..
Old 03-16-2010, 09:50 AM

Anybody know if this will work in an'09 or '10?