Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

New door speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:31 PM

New door speaker question

For those that changed there door speakers using the stock radio was it a change made for the better? I personally don't think the stock speakers sound all that bad but if I changed them out will they sound better?

I have a set of Kenwood KFC-Xr601's left over from my sponcership which I never used which I thought might work good with the stock head unit. They are rated 45 watts and to me don't seem to be a power hungry speaker. I was thinking of also making a sealed enclosure for them in the stock location which will increase midrange lowend. Any thoughts on this?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:09 PM

They don't sound all that bad. Still in my wife's HHR, but yes, it does make a big difference.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:07 PM

You'll be glad if you replace the factory door speakers. I dropped in some JBL GTO's. They have a 2 ohm impedence (as do Infinity Reference series) and get the most out of the factory Pioneer amp. The OEM speakers sound pretty lo-fi in comparison.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:38 PM

I replaced mine a few weeks after I got the car with 4 Rockford Fosgates that I had in my old car. Huge difference.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:41 PM

I've got a pair of 6.5" Infinity speakers left over from my wrecked truck that I'd like to put in my HHR, but I'm nervous about taking the door panels off.
They never seem to go back on as tight as before.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:28 AM

The only real problem in the HHR is trying to get the top lip by the window in place. Otherwise, it really is pretty simple. Only 3 torq bolts, and one push tab. I started prying off the panal by the rear view mirror and worked my way around the door. Then, I used a piece of wire to tie the panal to the door frame (didnt want to bother unplugging all of the wires).

It is really worth the effort for the better speakers.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by photojoed80
You'll be glad if you replace the factory door speakers. I dropped in some JBL GTO's. They have a 2 ohm impedence (as do Infinity Reference series) and get the most out of the factory Pioneer amp. The OEM speakers sound pretty lo-fi in comparison.
I do have to correct you on the reference to the Infinity "Reference" series, they are 4 ohm NOT 2. The "Kappa" series IS 2 ohm.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:40 AM

I have the non-pioneer stock radio and changed speakers to Infinity Reference and it has improved. But, the infinities are not as bassy as I would like. It probably is due to the tweeters in the pillars. So if you decide to change and have the non- pioneer change the back door speakers first. E-me and tell me how it works out. Like a fool I gave away the front door speakers and I don't know if the stock front door speakers would have given it more low end bass
Old 11-22-2007, 11:50 AM

As I recall, all 4 speakers in the HHR are the same. If you want more bass from the door, you could always get separates and replace the factory tweeter.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:12 PM

If your just replacing speakers I don't think it's going to better if they are coax or separates. This was the reason I started this topic. I havn't tried but from what I have read most have said that replacing them you have less low end coming from them. From really listening to them I think they just lack highs. The highs arn't bright enough to bring the detail out in the music. I'm going to start here and replace them.

I'm trying to fix my HHR up without changing everything about it and do it with a clean look. I have done my share of chopping thru the years and replacing everything. At my age I'm starting to careless about what headunit I have and how much I spent on my stereo.

Last edited by WhiplashHHR; 11-23-2007 at 12:35 AM.

Quick Reply: New door speaker question