Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

New to HHR Realm

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:20 PM

Talking New to HHR Realm

Im new to the HHR and new to this forum. I recently became the proud owner of a 2008 HHR. It has the premium factory audio equip. I have audio equip to install. I have looked on a few sites for faceplate adapters, wiring harnesses and the items necessary to keep the steering wheel controlls. I almost bought a bunch of stuff, butt i thought maybe id post on here first and see some opinions on where the best place to get this stuff is. Im a little confused about the harness situation, as far as if a particular harness will allow the steering buttons to function- or if i need a harness and some other device. I found (here on this site) some great step by step pics on taking out the factory radio, im wondering if there is some similar information about taking the doors and panels apart to install the speakers. The audio equip is new single din head unit, 2 amps, 2 -10inch subs, door speakers, and 2 6x 8s, monster cables. Any tips, suggestions or advice is appreciated.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Welcome!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:49 PM

I've looked into the upgrade, too, and still plan to do it on mine. I found there are several different companies out there saying the make the harness you need to maintain steering wheel controls, as well as the audio alerts that the BCM sends through the audio system. But many people have learned the hard way that these cheaper harnesses either don't work or cause whole new problems. It appears that one of the best places to buy the harness is from Crutchfield. They may be a bit more expensive, but I'd rather pay a bit more to make sure I have exactly the right one.

Let us know how it all goes.

Oh, and search YouTube for door panel removal video ... there is an organization there that has several very good how-to videos for the HHR that are clear and easy to follow ... one being door panel removal.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 PM

Welcome aboard
Old 06-06-2012, 11:15 PM

http://www.autosoundcentral.com/Chevrolet_HHR_s/342.htm

all in one shop have new stuff, in stock and its true car audio tech support........these guys been doing this for around 30years
Old 06-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Premium Member

Welcome to the site. I changed the audio, they had a hell of a time getting it all working right, glad I had someone else do it, had two gm04 adapters, still do cause they used a something 11, and of course a pac7 so you can watch tv without the parking brake on, and don't forget the bluetooth module and the Xm adapter , and a pile of other stuff. They finally got it all to play well together, oh yea, new mike, and nav antenna too. There are a bunch of guy's who will know, stick around they will be along soon.
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 AM

FYI in many states video playback in view of driver is illegal and a couple states take it serious enough to suspend license for 180days on first offense
Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 AM

Welcome good to see another st. louisian on the forum. :)

Let me know if you need help. I have been doing car audio for about 20 years (built and help build a few award wining vehicles). I'd be happy to give ya a hand.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Deceased

to the forum breigle, and congrats on your new ride!
Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 PM

thank you for the responses

Thank you for the advise. Yes Crutchfield seems like a good place to get the stuff -- thats where i almost spent the money. Im going to check out the other site recommended.
I wonder if the guys who put the amps under the rear storage deck have any issues with amps over heating -- seems like a definate lack of air flow in there. I am considering doing this in order, of coarse, to save all that awesome storage area. Considering a smaller bass box... considering alot of stuff right now i guess.

Quick Reply: New to HHR Realm