Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

new speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:56 PM

new speakers

So im adding new speakers into a my factory head unit. couldnt find what the wattage was comming from the head unit, was just wondering does any one know if its gonna suck? do i need an amplifier to run the new speakers? here are the speakers i am ordering for both front and rear, or any better recomendations?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSA1...TS-A1673R.html
thanks guys
travis
Old 12-06-2010, 10:44 AM

Can't say with all certainty, but I'd say the sound would be better. I've changed out the speakers and left the factory unit alone in past cars owned and the sound always improved. Then when money was available, I'd change to an aftermarket head unit. Never added an amp, but I'd think it would only stand to improve the sound of the new speakers.
Haven't changed speakers in my HHR, yet. I did just order the 8" Sound Ordnance powered sub from Crutchfield. It was a good deal. Also got a PAC AOEM-GM1416A adapter so I could hook up an amp/powered sub to the factory unit without tapping into wires. If that works out just fine, I'll work on the door speakers next.

Sorry I wasn't much help, just wanted to say something. Best of luck!
Old 12-06-2010, 02:05 PM

You should be good. These have good sensitivity (means thay take less power to sound good) and the stock head unit will be ok. Just remember to put the tweeter at the top (12 o'clock) position when you install.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:57 PM

I have these in the back doors: http://www.crutchfield.com/s_130TSD1...02R.html?tp=95 . I also have the TSD-1720 components in the front. Granted I'm running big power through them (100Wx4 RMS through a Polk Momo amp) but they sound fantastic! If you can afford those I highly recommend them.

Later
Allex
Old 12-06-2010, 11:28 PM

Great thanks guys! Lots of good suggestions ECUYLER does that amp thing work for adding watts to the door speakers as well? I had found that the other night and couldn't find enough info on it
Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 AM

To my knowledge, the built in amp only powers the sub. This is not an area of expertise for me. I've installed speakers and head units, but never an amp and subs, so I was looking for something user friendly to just fill the sound of the factory system.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:07 AM

Probably with 30-45 Watts RMS you could have a good quality. You´ll notice mainlly in the back, in due that the factory speakes have 8 ohms instead 4. Those that you put are a good choice.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:01 AM

Don't forget

Insulate behind the speakers and it will help out greatly with the sound.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:14 AM

If you have the factory sub in the rear, you have a 5 channel amp mounted to the sub enclosure. The speakers are 2 ohm. Putting in a 4 ohm will reduce volume 3db, which is about 1/4 unless you choose a 4 ohm with 94db sensitivity or higher. Or use a 91db sensitivity or higher 2 ohm replacement.

To get a better speaker you could take out the rears, put the fronts in them and only buy one set. The rear is only for fill anyway. Most audiophiles do not use a rear stage at all because it messes up the dynamics of the overall sound stage.

http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_8...html?aff=72182 The infinity speakers are not terrible, much better than the stock ones. They are a little to much up top, but they have a button on the tweeter to cut the highs 3db. They are still a tad harsh but leaps and bounds better than anything new under $75.

If you could swing $220 this is the best 6.5 under $400 and actually better than most that are slightly above $400. http://store.12velectronics.com/prod...eaker-Set.html The tweet comes off to be a component set as well. But they still sound phenomenal with them attached to the mid. If you or anyone else reading decides to get these I would recommend unhooking the factory tweeter, just because they will ruin the sound up front with their harshness.
Good luck. As for amps that's another $200 or more + wiring, so best to just work with what you have unless you want to devote a lot of money in your project. The factory sound system is not bad, just the speakers are. Well I guess actually the sub channel is terrible, but you can't even tell it is there so it doesn't matter. The amp is cleaner than most factory units. I didn't have to install a new one until adding 1500 watts to the sub stage. It was even fine with 500 watts going to the sub stage.

Good day.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:10 PM

it sucks

Well i just got them installed today... sound isnt worth a $H*#. dont know why, i even had it professionaly done. The factory sounded better.. now i dont know what to do

Quick Reply: new speakers