Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

New Stereo System

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 12:10 PM

New Stereo System

I just bought an aftermarket single din cd player, 2 8" subs and an 800w amp. I have a 2006 hhr LT (no premium sound). I need to know a list of things I might need to make it work the best. I spoke with a stereo installation guy that told me I need a $115 wire harness and a mounting kit. I don't know if he was just trying to hose me in the wallet, so a second opinion would be greatly appreciated. If someone could maybe post links to the materials I need at a better price would be awesome!

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:54 PM

Well to make it easier you will need to get the wireharness and yup they do cost that much. The reasoning on having it is if you have noticed all warning sounds go through the speakers. So if you don't have the wireharness you will loose the sound, or if the harness it comes with has a mute on it you dont have to listen to any annoying door chimes or seatbelt noise or blinker noise anymore. The one I have let me choose to have those warning noises or not. Other than that you just need the basic things to mount everything and wires for your subs and amps, which I assume you know. I also had to cut some of the plastic in the back of the radio to make fit. Depending what you all have on your radio.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:08 PM

Thanks. I just wasn't sure. Most wire harnesses cost less than 20 bucks! I didn't know that it controls all that other stuff too! Do you know any good tutorials on this forum for people who have never done it before? I can take apart, fix and repair broken gaming consoles and computers, so I'm not a complete newb, but I've never messed with the wiring of a vehicle before!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:16 AM

I was discussing this with another member. Im not sure if its best to use the metra gmlan03 or gmlan04 in your situation (also mine).
The lan03 is intended for the base stereo and outputs directly to the speakers, while the lan04 is intended for the premium pioneer system and outputs to the factory amp.
If you are going to be using aftermarket amps, you would need an additional line converter with the lan03, but Im thinking the lan04 would work by adding RCA plugs to go the amps. I havent tried it yet though.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:36 AM

if hes using aftermarket amps, he would go straight from the RCA outs on the aftermarket radio, direct to the aftermarket amps. you wouldn't need a line out converter. you just dont hook up the speakers to the speaker leads on the 03 harness.

quick question though. this harness would work, but it just would disable any sounds (seatbelt, blinkers, onstar, etc?)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Car-Stereo-Radio-...item2ea5c331e1
Old 03-24-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by ufvj217
if hes using aftermarket amps, he would go straight from the RCA outs on the aftermarket radio, direct to the aftermarket amps. you wouldn't need a line out converter. you just dont hook up the speakers to the speaker leads on the 03 harness.
But if you bypass the lan03 with the RCAs, how do you get the door chimes/onstar audio to the speakers?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:03 PM
RFT

Originally Posted by prod
But if you bypass the lan03 with the RCAs, how do you get the door chimes/onstar audio to the speakers?
That's why I just went with a traditional harness, I think it was Metra 71-2104 for about $15.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:40 PM

I didn't use a harness. I ran dedicated power and ground for the radio. I tapped into a factory switched power and just used a relay to turn the radio on. If your not concerned bout Onstar, chimes, and such no need for a harness if using aftermarket amps.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by prod
that im not sure. the 03 is for the non premium/non amplified stock system right? i thought the 03 doesnt have RCAs, just speaker wires? with the base stereo, the speakers are powered by the head unit. as long as the speakers get power, i think the harness will take care of getting the chimes to them. im not sure though. im not new to stereos at all, but this is my first GM ive owned lol.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:19 PM

the harness has a little box that must be mounted behind the dash. in it there is a small speaker that will play the chimes.

Quick Reply: New Stereo System