Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

No Bass with XM?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:11 PM

No Bass with XM?

Sorry if this has already been covered, but wondered if you all had also experienced that XM seems to have very low Bass content? Pretty obvious if you switch from an XM music station to a CD without changing equalization.

Does that have something to do with bandwidth and signal strength? Seems like the receiver should be set up to compensate if that is the case. But if the content is not there to begin, then ???
Old 10-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Deceased

You're hearing some compression of the signal from XM. As an old radio guy and broadcaster I can tell you that the audio quality of the XM signal is not CD quality as claimed. You just have to adjust the equalization settings to compensate as needed. The CD player will always give the best sound compared to a broadcast signal or MP3 file.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
You're hearing some compression of the signal from XM. As an old radio guy and broadcaster I can tell you that the audio quality of the XM signal is not CD quality as claimed. You just have to adjust the equalization settings to compensate as needed. The CD player will always give the best sound compared to a broadcast signal or MP3 file.
Makes sense, as I have also noticed the same issue with MP3 and "I-devices" although some audio equipment seems to be optimized for those formats.

On a different note, noticed you are a Corvair fan. A couple of my buddies had really nice Corvairs back a few decades ago, one was a Yenko Stinger, another, a turbocharged Corvair that made decent HP and with his suspension mods was a really nice handling car as well.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:14 PM

I'm missing alot of highs/upper mid on my XM. Must be with the broadcast, because my buddy's Trailblazer, with factory XM/Bose has the issue.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Truth!

I don't have XM but know this for a fact with MP3...... Any kind of compression in music actually removes frequencies that are meant to be heard. Being a musician and done some recording I've heard a lot "disappear" when converting my music to MP3...... Even though I have an input jack on my stereo in the HHR I won't use it, would never own an iThing ...... and won't even make MP3 compilation CDs.

I don't even "rip and burn" CDs, I record them one machine to another, mix them down and render new CDs with the songs I want.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:38 PM

XM got considerably worse when they bought Sirius. I believe they added some channels from Sirius to their line-up. The satellite has only so much total bandwidth. To get more stations you need to reduce the quality of each channel (sort of like the airlines moving the seats closer to get in more people ). They "shorted" some channels more than others. "Talk" channels were already more compressed, and I believe they took more from them. Classic Rock lost a lot of bass but Deep Tracks didn't lose as much. I believe they made some decisions based on their opinion of what channels would show it less, and which listeners would miss it less. Personally, I think it sucks.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:01 AM

I believe SIRIUS bought XM, not the other way around (but not happy with either one - rant another day ).

Back to the original post....Is this why the "speed compensated volume" does not seem to work on my radio? Also I do not seem to have much bass either. I have the bass set to "max" but not much different than the "middle" setting. BTW, I use a remote satellite receiver (allows me to move to other vehicles) that is connected via the AUX port.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:16 AM

Probably..... how much bass do you have with a CD?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by farmer52
I believe SIRIUS bought XM, not the other way around (but not happy with either one - rant another day ).

Back to the original post....Is this why the "speed compensated volume" does not seem to work on my radio? Also I do not seem to have much bass either. I have the bass set to "max" but not much different than the "middle" setting. BTW, I use a remote satellite receiver (allows me to move to other vehicles) that is connected via the AUX port.
Yes, I noticed even with the Bass set to Max it is won't bring the XM up to the level of a CD with EQ flat (stock system with factory sub). As far as the speed compensated volume, mine at middle setting is too much, lowest works about right.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:41 AM

I will try a CD and see (hear) what happens. I will also try the speed compensated volume again with just a CD or the radio. If there is no volume compensation, is it in the radio or somewhere else in the sound system? Same with the bass?

Quick Reply: No Bass with XM?