Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

OnStar

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:28 AM

Hmmmmm.............. Sounds to much like Big Brother.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Hmmmmm.............. Sounds to much like Big Brother.
I agree, espically if they get engine telementary. Rental cars data-log everythig you do, and report back to rental company.

Here is a tid-bit about On-star. Federal law requires all phones to be able to dial 9 1 1, even a disconnected line, or non-active cell phone. The same is true for On-star. even if you are not a member, they have to send help.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Man, the paranoia sets in.....

Who said State Farm is monitoring? geez....

If you have OnStar AND GM is monitoring why don't they cancel half the warranties on this forum!!! Additionally they could share the info with other insurance companies, for a price. AND, why not notify the local police departments of readings taken from speeding owners and have the police department set up a speed trap for each individual owner.......geez, you people.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 AM

I have State Farm but this program is currently not available in Michigan. The program is called: Drive Safe & Save™ Insurance Discount. I know that it requires them to monitor your mileage but unsure if there are any other things that are/or will be monitored in the future for you to receive the discount. Considering that the program is called Drive Safe, I could see them expanding the savings to those that don't participate in activities such as speeding etc.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
I have State Farm but this program is currently not available in Michigan. The program is called: Drive Safe & Save™ Insurance Discount. I know that it requires them to monitor your mileage but unsure if there are any other things that are/or will be monitored in the future for you to receive the discount. Considering that the program is called Drive Safe, I could see them expanding the savings to those that don't participate in activities such as speeding etc.
Hillsdale, I just received an invite from the local State Farm guy for the program.

I agree with Greybeard though.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Man, the paranoia sets in.....

Who said State Farm is monitoring? geez....

If you have OnStar AND GM is monitoring why don't they cancel half the warranties on this forum!!! Additionally they could share the info with other insurance companies, for a price. AND, why not notify the local police departments of readings taken from speeding owners and have the police department set up a speed trap for each individual owner.......geez, you people.
I track my kids with my Sprint phone. I can usually find them, or a least their phone, within 20 feet of their location and it takes less than a minute to locate them. Therefore I am Big Brother and I love it.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
Here is a tid-bit about On-star. Federal law requires all phones to be able to dial 9 1 1, even a disconnected line, or non-active cell phone. The same is true for On-star. even if you are not a member, they have to send help.
Even if you don't have a contract with them, they still have 2 way communication with your vehicle and can access your computer modules too.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by 09 Silver Bullett
Hillsdale, I just received an invite from the local State Farm guy for the program.
Maybe they are just rolling it out for Michigan because they don't list it as a program for Michigan as of yet.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
Maybe they are just rolling it out for Michigan because they don't list it as a program for Michigan as of yet.
Could be.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I track my kids with my Sprint phone. I can usually find them, or a least their phone, within 20 feet of their location and it takes less than a minute to locate them. Therefore I am Big Brother and I love it.
That's funny. Made me think of a distant relative who tracked his wife on AT&T. After a pattern was developed, he followed her and took several pictures. Caught her in several rather suspicious "activities" with a male accomplice.

About 2 weeks after the final encounter, he confronted both at the front door of the guys house and served the divorce papers himself.

He paid very little, financially, in the divorce outcome.