Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Optima battery question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 02:47 PM

flyhhr, where did you mount the batteries? Pictures would be nice! Are they hooked to the electrical system, and how if they are!
My main interest is in extra battery to power amateur radio equipment in an emergency. I know I'll draw way less amp/hrs than your audio equipment!
THANKS in advance!
Old 09-08-2008, 03:04 PM

I remember reading they (optima) didn't have a battery for the HHR, has that changed?
Old 09-08-2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by SargeRN
flyhhr, where did you mount the batteries? Pictures would be nice! Are they hooked to the electrical system, and how if they are!
My main interest is in extra battery to power amateur radio equipment in an emergency. I know I'll draw way less amp/hrs than your audio equipment!
THANKS in advance!
You can easily fit 2 yellow tops in the factory spot.
Or to add more batts just remove the spare tire.

I had pics of my car with 3 Kinetik 2400s back there but I can seem to find the pics right now.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:27 PM

Norsican, Here is the direct reply from Johnson Control i.e. Optima Battery on a size for the HHR, I posted this elsewhere a while back but since you asked:

As of now this is not an Optima battery for the HHR.

Best Regards,
Jeff Juds

----- Forwarded by Jeff H Juds/CORP/Johnson_Controls on 08/04/2008 08:19 AM
-----

Rebecca L
Jefferies/NA/John
son_Controls To
Jeff H Juds/CORP/Johnson_Controls
07/31/2008 04:39 cc
PM

So flyhhr how are you "getting away" with 2 Optima's in your HHR?? I LOVE the Optima and would truely like to use them!! Have 2 of the deep cycle blue tops in my amateur station that act as back-ups if the grid goes down.

Sarge
Old 09-08-2008, 03:38 PM

OPTIMA is kind of a universal size. They will fit. You may have to mod the bracket, but they fit.

I have a pic of when I had one Optima in
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...875/optima.jpg
Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ed RazorLite
OPTIMA is kind of a universal size. They will fit. You may have to mod the bracket, but they fit.

I have a pic of when I had one Optima in
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...875/optima.jpg
Since when is OPTIMA a universal size? They have a bunch of different sizes and models. Which one did you have in the HHR?

I'd like to get a yellow top as well.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:58 PM

From www.optimabatteries.com

'Specs & Tech' section

Yellow-Top

Recommended charging information:
Alternator:

13.65 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.
Battery Charger:

13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, 6-12 hours approximate.
Cyclic Applications:

14.7 volts, no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). When current falls below 1 amp, finish with 2 amp constant current for 1 hour.
Rapid Recharge:

Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated), no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). Charge until current drops below 1 amp.
Float Charge:

13.2 to 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).
Old 09-09-2008, 08:03 PM

You CAN put a normal "run-'o-the-mill" yellow in a HHR with very little effort. No...it is not a square peg/square hole affair, but it is almost that easy. LOL I had one in my HHR before I even was able to pick the car up from the dealership(long story). I then added 4 more for a total of 5 yellows in the HHR now. I simply have them all paralleled using powder coated copper buss bars. I even had it that way for several months on the completely STOCK electrical system (....waiting for the audio geeks to start flaming...LOL). The only drawback with the stock alt, was it seemed to take slightly longer to recharge (understatement). I now have a 240amp with no issues...other than noisy bearings.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:12 PM

2006 HHR

I put in the red-top optima (I think it was group 34). No size issues ... it is taller than stock ... but still had plenty of clearance.

The stock battery has two hold down clamps. The front clamp needed to be replaced with the optima adapter clamp that the interstate battery warehouse stocks onhand (I would imagine any battery dealer would be familiar with this type of clamp as it appeared to be optima specific and not vehicle specific). The stock left-side clamp was rotated 180 degrees to accomodate the optima six-pack design. Both clamps still secure the battery and it is very well secured ... also no need for the venting on the optimas.

Additional note ... if you are in close proximity to an interstate battery warehouse ... call in advance and ask if they have an optima cosmetic factory blemish ... you will get a substantial discount off retail (like half price) ... this also applies to their standard battery types ... which they do carry an HHR specific model as well.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:01 AM

gulfcoast,

Turns out I have a Interstate Battery warehouse 15 minutes from my home. When my battery gets iffy, I'll give them a call and see if they have any blems.

I recall Sams Club and Costco carry them as well. Couldn't find a listing online. Will check them out as well.

Quick Reply: Optima battery question