Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Original Antenna and radio display dimmer

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 06:45 PM

Original Antenna and radio display dimmer

hi all,

i apologize if these questions have already been answered, but i figured it was easier to re-ask than to search for them... 2006 hhr with standard radio set up (not the pioneer upgrade)

question 1.

i have always had bad fm reception since i replaced the original stock radio with an after market pioneer, ( i never used the stock radio, so have no idea how well it recieved stations) well i just updated to a nice sony and it still has poor reception..........

while doing some rewiring, i noticed a wire strapped to what appears to be the antenna cable, so i got to wondering, is the original antenna powered from the original radio ???

my new head unit has a wire to connect for a powered antenna, but they say that those are typically the type that are in the rear or side window ????

i am getting ready to drill a hole in the front fendor and install an after market 3 foot mast antenna ......

question 2

did the original radio display dim when the headlights were on ??? my new radio has an option for this, but to hook it up, i'd have to know what color wire it was from the original wiring harness......

i'd thanks for any help that y'all can provide
Old 01-04-2012, 06:58 PM

Is the stock antenna look like a fishing pole or is it a stuby ? is stock cable and antenna in good shape and working ?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:06 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by mudbilly
question 2

did the original radio display dim when the headlights were on ???
Yes, the stock radio dims when headlights are on.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by oneton
Is the stock antenna look like a fishing pole or is it a stuby ? is stock cable and antenna in good shape and working ?
it is the stock antanna, i bought the stubby from someone that ran a business on this site, but that really had worse reception, so i put the factory original back on.

i wouldn't say it looks like a fishing pole, but it about a foot long and has a wire? spiral wrapped around it, i assume to make it think that it is 3 feet long.

i have the panel off to the right of where the passangers legs would be, and found a black cable that appears to be an antenna cable? there is a red wire ziptied (for lack of a better term) to it. i have not traced it back to the radio or to the antenna, but this is what made me think the antenna might be powered...

there is nothing wrong with the antenna or cable.............the reception is just poor, compared to any car that is sitting right next to it.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by jx3
Yes, the stock radio dims when headlights are on.
can anyone tell me what color wire going to the original radio that would drive this ?

when i did the first install back in 2006. there was no radio adapter harness available, so i just cut out the exisgin plug and rewired EVERYTHING ...including the power on back to the fuse box, so that the radio still plays when the key is off, but the door has not been opened yet

it is probably not really legal, because i now have no warning beepers for seatbelts, etc...............which i REALLY like better anyway....
Old 01-05-2012, 01:53 PM

i googled 2006 hhr radio wiring diagram and found this

Radio 12v red/white + radio harness
Radio Ground black/white - radio harness
Radio Ignition (GMLAN Serial Data)
Radio Illumination gray (dimmer) + radio harness
Factory Amp Turn-on same as power antenna wire
Power Antenna pink + radio harness
LF Speaker +/- tan - gray +,- radio harness or amplifier
Notes: If equipped, the amplifier is in the driver side rear quarter panel.
RF Speaker +/- lt. green - dk. green +,- radio harness or amplifier
LR Speaker +/- brown - yellow +,- radio harness or amplifier
RR Speaker +/- dk. blue - lt. blue +,- radio harness or amplifier

so ,,,,,,,,,,, the gray wire should be for the radio dimmer

AND the antenna IS powered
Old 01-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

Yea, It looks really simple behind the head unit.
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2012, 02:29 PM

LOL............yea, i remember......... back in 2006 i installed a single din mount bracket (it also has a little tray under the radio, which in these cars is like gold..) for the aftermarket head unit..........real easy to install the newer unit without taking everything apart again.... i only hope that i can find the wires i am looking for without taking the dash apart AGAIN.......

i have to make the hole i originally cut ito the back of the dash behind the radio larger anyway, i'm just going to cut it out entirely...and hope that the wires are visible...

i have alot more wires now because of having a sirius adapter plugged into the back.....the sirius unit and the sony adapter fit perfectly in the little shelf behind the glove box...

FWIW...........if anyone is looking for a REALLY nice head unit with all the bells & whistles and REALLY good sound..... i highly recommend this......

.http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GT65...I.html?tp=5684 LOL>.....i just clicked on the link and see that it is discontinued,,,, no wonder i got it on sale right before christmas..... it was my gift to myself for bwing such a good boy all year

i've got a ipod touch plugged into the audio jack in the front,,,,, siriusxm plugged into the rear..........and can play mp3's off of a thumb drive in the front,,,,,,,,,,

and the display color can be customized to match the dash lights

all feeding a couple kicker amps for the speakers and sub..........

rocking rollin down the hi-way.........
Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Premium Member

I was a good boy too !!

Santa put one of these in my dash

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ina-w900bt/
Old 01-06-2012, 07:40 AM

life is good.............congrats

Quick Reply: Original Antenna and radio display dimmer