Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

A&P Inspired: Sound Deadener Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Rest In Peace

Are we still on for this morning ?

I called your cell phone and left a couple messages yesterday, and called again this morning. ???

Either way just let me know, wanting to plan my day here. I packed my car with my tools I have been using but will need to put my headliner back in place or in my Trailer and pull it out there.

If not, I will paint the trim pieces in the GM Ebony color I bought yesterday at the auto upholstery shop.

On Star Mic, led light, A-Pillars and the B-Pillars, the 2 retracting clothes hanger hooks, and the 2 dome lights trim all need to be painted to Match the Ebony. As well as the sunvisors trim parts.

The DVR is already set to record the Bears Game.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
Are we still on for this morning ?

I called your cell phone and left a couple messages yesterday, and called again this morning. ???

Either way just let me know, wanting to plan my day here. I packed my car with my tools I have been using but will need to put my headliner back in place or in my Trailer and pull it out there.

If not, I will paint the trim pieces in the GM Ebony color I bought yesterday at the auto upholstery shop.

On Star Mic, led light, A-Pillars and the B-Pillars, the 2 retracting clothes hanger hooks, and the 2 dome lights trim all need to be painted to Match the Ebony. As well as the sunvisors trim parts.

The DVR is already set to record the Bears Game.

I'm at the shop now man. I'll be here until about 2am. Stop by if ya want.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by OrangeWhip
I'm at the shop now man. I'll be here until about 2am. Stop by if ya want.
I know we ended up talking at 11am and you were gonna shower then head to the shop, but after a couple more hours I just unloaded the Panel and did the headliner here. Painted up the little trim pieces, still have a couple more pieces to paint Ebony today.

I was up at 6 am, late afternoon starts on projects on a perfect day here takes the wind out of my sails. I'd rather get up early and get it Done, then have time for the Next project, we don't get alot of Nice days here to work outside and Winter is coming.

Wasn't real sure if after talking to you, if youd recoup from your hangover or not.

Man that Suede NON Stretch is Bi tch to install!!!

I got it done, but had to settle on one fold in the rear, I Centered it over the curve in back. And one very small fold up front in the corner by the sunvisor. There just wasn't any way to Avoid those that I could do. My first time recovering a headliner. Gonna stop by a Trim Shop and ask if they have any Tricks to dress it up. Not bad, but I know its there.

I glued the rear down first, and after Fighting it to get it as best as I could, the Spider Embossing got tossed out the window.

You can see the 2 folds in this pic. Oh well I'll also get another headliner and redo it in the Spring. I'll call this one, Pratice.
Name:  67c8318c.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  6833b50e.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  fb2c6192.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  44.1 KB

I know you said you tried yours and got many wrinkles and were gonna get another headliner, But I fought it tooth and nail to get it usable for now.

I'll get Stretchy Suede from DuBois next time.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:40 PM

If I can get a deal on suede form DuBois, I'm going to try and get orange, grey, and black. This fabric store stuff is a real PITA to work with. But, my pillars came out SWEET.

I worked my ass off on someone elses car yesterday. It really sucked ass.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Rest In Peace

If I can get a deal on suede form DuBois, I'm going to try and get orange, grey, and black. This fabric store stuff is a real PITA to work with. But, my pillars came out SWEET.

I worked my ass off on someone elses car yesterday. It really sucked ass.

This material isn't really cheap, it's just not made for this type application.

$24.99 a Yard, I got it on Sale @50% off. Was that Sale still ongoing?

Our headliners are a B*TCH to recover just by the way it is shaped.
A NORMAL headliner would have gone real easy with this suede, it's just a Non stretch material and needs a flatter surface without all the form fitting shapes our headliner has in it.

I was glad it didn't have a foam backing with all the manipulating I had to do lifting and relifting and shifting the suede.
Took me a few hours to get it as good as I got it, I had to respray glue as I went along.

I got it back in now and finishing up painting the dome lights trim from the light gray to the Ebony, once I pop those back on it's done.

I'll get another headliner and buy one of Du Bois fabrics, they do have some killer automotive and marine stuff to choose from. I saw Ostrich and Alligator, all kinds of cool stuff.

I'll live with this for the Winter, but since it's not Perfect, it's gotta Go.

I saw your post late once I came in and saw you got a job in, so this worked out OK. I just thought 4 hands would have been a little easier for both of us.

Let me know when your gonna work on yours, i'd give you a hand if you want. Tri Colors should look cool.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:33 AM

The sale was still going on when I picked the silver up...

I have decided to completely change it up now. The interior pieces are getting a little glassing in the rear, to put 8" PA mids, and super tweets, by the back windows (where you saw I had it cut out).

I'm gong to be sanding the interior pieces smooth,(pillars and such) then shooting them in the booth with the same SOM II as the outside of the car, with a **** ton of flex additive in it. I ended up having a buddy talk me into it. I'm going to be doing my dash cap, and waterfall as well.

Either way, my interior plastic is out, and the sound deadening begins Friday, as soon as I roll into my shop. Pics to follow soon.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Rest In Peace

The sale was still going on when I picked the silver up...

I have decided to completely change it up now. The interior pieces are getting a little glassing in the rear, to put 8" PA mids, and super tweets, by the back windows (where you saw I had it cut out).

I'm gong to be sanding the interior pieces smooth,(pillars and such) then shooting them in the booth with the same SOM II as the outside of the car, with a **** ton of flex additive in it. I ended up having a buddy talk me into it. I'm going to be doing my dash cap, and waterfall as well.

Either way, my interior plastic is out, and the sound deadening begins Friday, as soon as I roll into my shop. Pics to follow soon.
What time are you gonna be at the shop?