Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

PAL and iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 02:43 PM

PAL and iPhone

Ok..heres the deal. When I bought my HHR SS the dealer installed the PAL accessory so I could use it with my iTouch. Well due to recent events of my old cell phone falling off a roof (don't ask) I was in the market for a new cell phone. So I thought to myself well my Wife has been bugging me for an iPod of some sort so I could really get myself a 16GB iPhone which is the is the same price as a 16GB iTouch and all I have to do is sign a new phone contract with AT&T which I have been with for 8+ years anyway.

Well now to my problem, I plug my iPhone into the PAL connector and it gives me an error stating that the accessory does not support charging on the iPhone. As far as I can tell I can still play music and control the iPhone playlists from the PAL and Radio but I cannot charge. I have skimmed past a couple other forums that hinted that there may be an updated version of the PAL that supports newer iPods and wondered if that is what I need to fix my problem.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Founding Member

The updates MAY fix this problem. Just take it to the dealership and tell them it doesn't charge and they load the updates.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
The updates MAY fix this problem. Just take it to the dealership and tell them it doesn't charge and they load the updates.
So its a software update? I sure hope it is because I like that PAL and used it with my iTouch all the time. Rarely listened to radio. Thanks for the advice...
Old 10-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by bobiroc
So its a software update? I sure hope it is because I like that PAL and used it with my iTouch all the time. Rarely listened to radio. Thanks for the advice...
Yes, but it seems like I read somewhere that the Iphone wasn't supported. Get a car charger and listen while you can, charge when your not listening to it.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:44 PM

Yes, but it seems like I read somewhere that the Iphone wasn't supported. Get a car charger and listen while you can, charge when your not listening to it.
Well that would suck. I will do a little "googling" on the subject too. It is an iPhone 3G so maybe that is the problem.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:53 PM

What's the advantage of using PAL? I just use the input jack on the radio for mine.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:04 PM

It's a hardware issue, not software issue.

The PAL probably uses the Firewire (1394a) pin out to charge the iPods. The iPhone 3G no longer supports charging over Firewire so the pin and support for it has been removed. The iPhone 3G will only charge over a USB pin out.

Unless GM has made changes to the PAL's pinout, a simple software update will not fix this.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV
What's the advantage of using PAL? I just use the input jack on the radio for mine.
The advantage is that I can see the Track Info on my Radio Display and Change Tracks, playlists, and other options using the radio controls.

Originally Posted by Tuanies
It's a hardware issue, not software issue.

The PAL probably uses the Firewire (1394a) pin out to charge the iPods. The iPhone 3G no longer supports charging over Firewire so the pin and support for it has been removed. The iPhone 3G will only charge over a USB pin out.

Unless GM has made changes to the PAL's pinout, a simple software update will not fix this.
Well if that is the case I guess I can check with my dealership as it could be just a newer cable that they have. I guess if not I have two options.

A. Get a separate charger for the car

or

B. Keep the iPod Touch just for the Car and figure out how I can sync two iPods on my puter. I am sure I can do it using a 3rd party software since I buy music from other sources than iTunes. Then just get my Wife a iPod Nano or something for her Bday or Christmas.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Founding Member

I called GM Techline and the state since the Iphone is not supported by GM they would not give any help on issues using it with PAL.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:33 PM

I called GM Techline and the state since the Iphone is not supported by GM they would not give any help on issues using it with PAL.
Well damn them.... thanks for checking. I guess I will have to make due.

I wonder if the new radios in the 2009's support it because they have the actual USB Port in the front instead of a headphone jack. Maybe I can sweet talk my dealership into a radio swap under warranty. Hmmmm

Quick Reply: PAL and iPhone