Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Pictures of GM PAL Ipod controller

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:18 PM

so...what else can you hook to the PAL besides a IPOD through the RCA?

I do have XM, so the tech2 will be required.
Brenda's GM mechanic told her 'about an hour, but we can do it in about 15 minutes...'

their hourly rate s $130/hr

I told her to ask one of their tech's if he wants to make some cash on his lunch break
(yes, they are allowed to)
Old 02-05-2008, 02:52 PM

The iPOD does not hook up through the rca. I would expect you could run a DVD plaver audio or any other audio that has rca connections. The XM can be flashed any time after install if you to install yourself then have the dealer flash later. But you hear the XM or both at the same time unitl it is flashed
Old 02-05-2008, 06:07 PM

You could run anything RCA through their. Which means with adapter you could run anything, so therefore it's not anymore important than the AUX jack on the front of the stock stereo....

Although I guess you could use the hidden RCA jacks to hook up something out of sight, instead of on the dashboard, which would be useful for some things.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:34 PM

You can run you ipod through RCA, by useing a 3.5mm to rca converter. Walmart sells them for about 4 dollars. This also allows you to hook it up to any reciever in your house/garage that you want.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 AM

The ABC won't work if you have your music set to "shuffle". I do this by choice since I have pretty much everything on play lists. Easy to set and hours of listening fun! :)

Otherwise, ABC is there to search by song, artist, album, etc...
Old 02-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Founding Member

Thanks to everyone that posted help on working the IPOD with the PAL. I did some searching on GM.com and finally found the instructions. So if anyone out there is like me, a person who loses things easily, here is a PDF file with the instructions and a FAQ file. The first link is where I found this stuff.

http://www.gm.com/shop/parts/ipod/

http://www.gm.com/shop/parts/ipod/PAL+FAQs+JAN08.pdf

http://www.gm.com/shop/parts/ipod/PA...uide+NOV07.pdf

I have always looked at each new vehicle as a challenge to learn the technical issues, but this IPOD stuff was too much for me. So once again thanks.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:13 PM

I just installed the PAL last night, it took 3 hours but should have taken 2, I had some issues with where to feed that cord. I don't have XM so the instructions for wiring to the J1 connector in the BCM threw me for a loop for a bit. The instructions were a bit unclear in that area (I didn't end up needing to do that). If you don't have XM, it's just plug and play :-) Also, I didn't need to remove very much; the instructions say to remove the console switch plate but I didn't. I only had to remove the instrument panel trim and the radio.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Founding Member

Adding XM Radio and PAL

FYI: GM issued this TSB concerning adding both XM Radio and PAL to an HHR.

SERVICE - ALL CHEVROLET AND PONTIAC DEALERS

Subject: Cobalt/G5/HHR Accessories XM Radio Kit + PAL: Usage Restriction
Message #: VSS20081401

Cobalt / G5 / HHR Accessories XM Radio Kit + PAL: Usage Restriction

Installation issues have been identified when attempting to install a GM Accessories XM Radio Kit (P/N 17800594) and Personal Audio Link, or PAL (P/N 19171028) on a Cobalt, G5, or HHR. Specifically, both products share the same vehicle harness connector and, on some vehicles, both products share the same packaging (installed) location.

Therefore, usage restrictions will soon be in place for both products on each of these vehicle lines – advising not to install both products onto the same vehicle.

NOTE: This issue does NOT pertain to vehicles equipped with factory-installed (RPO) XM Radio. Those vehicles can still have a PAL installed.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:13 PM

Did anyone ever find out if this works with the iPhone or is it just iPods?
Old 03-03-2008, 03:05 PM

I tried to order the PAL 2 weeks ago. Finally told them to cancel the order since they told me it would be in 3 times and it never showed. Lying to a customer is not a way to build a business. (3 different hard to believe stories each time, promised phone calls that never happen. Tried to give benefit of the doubt but you can only jerk my leg so many times.)

Anyone know if there is an aftermarket version?

Quick Reply: Pictures of GM PAL Ipod controller