Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Pictures of GM PAL Ipod controller

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:48 AM

Hmmmmm.....this is intriguing. My daughter wants to upgrade to a new IPod so I may buy her old one. Right now I'm using the front aux port for my satellite radio receiver (SS didn't come with it).
Old 10-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Founding Member

Update on Post #52

#PIC4963A: XM Radio Intermittently Mutes and Changes Display After Installing PAL - (Oct 24, 2008)

Subject: XM Radio Intermittently Mutes and Changes Display After Installing PAL

Models: 2006-2008 Chevrolet HHR

2007-2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

2006-2008 Pontiac Solstice

2007-2008 Pontiac G5

2007-2008 Saturn Sky
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This PI was superceded to state that PAL modules are only available as a kit. Please discard PIC4963.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment that intermittently, the radio will momentarily mute and display XM station zero while listening to an XM station. This condition only occurs after installation of a GM Accessories Personal Audio Link (PAL) system.

Recommendation/Instructions:
A new PAL module has been developed to correct this condition. Updated PAL modules are only available as part of the PAL kit. A new PAL kit should be ordered to obtain the updated module.

Note: If the vehicle is equipped with XM Radio, XM will need to be enabled again using the Tech 2.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:09 PM

I'm still waiting on the previous order so I'll have to print this out and head in to try again.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
Hmmmmm.....this is intriguing. My daughter wants to upgrade to a new IPod so I may buy her old one. Right now I'm using the front aux port for my satellite radio receiver (SS didn't come with it).
I have the PAL installed and my Sirius Sportster unit is connected to the AUX port on the PAL under the dash. I access my Sirius through the PAL by selecting Source: Aux In using the PAL menu. I love this as I have no cables at all on the front of my stereo or over my dash. Everything neatly concealed behind the dash and in the upper glove box.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:19 PM

Hey ChevyMGR...

Do these TSBs affect anything else about the PAL or just the XM? Curious if it changes the overall interface or speed of response. Mine does "lock-up" periodically (sticks on LOADING IPOD) and I have to disconnect the iPod and turn the head unit off then back on and reconnect the iPod. Just curious if I should approach my dealership about the TSBs. I do not have XM in my HHR.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Founding Member

Tim,

It never hurts to have the latest updates installed. Usually logic locks are due to the amount of songs on the Ipod.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Founding Member

The new improved part number for the HHR PAL is 19201522. This is an upgraded module that may perform better than the original.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:43 AM

Ok, I bought my HHR SS in May and had the PAL installed in the same month. The HHR is due for an oil change very soon should I ask the dealership about updates to the PAL. It seems to work fine for the most part but sometimes when I connect my iPod and I change the Radio Input I get an XM station instead of the usual iPod connected message. In the post above it was mentioned about a new part number. If this new/improved part number is out will they upgrade my PAL for free to this new one or will they just update the software?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by bobiroc
Ok, I bought my HHR SS in May and had the PAL installed in the same month. The HHR is due for an oil change very soon should I ask the dealership about updates to the PAL. It seems to work fine for the most part but sometimes when I connect my iPod and I change the Radio Input I get an XM station instead of the usual iPod connected message. In the post above it was mentioned about a new part number. If this new/improved part number is out will they upgrade my PAL for free to this new one or will they just update the software?
You need the updated program. You will not get the new module unless the current module failed. But the update should fix your current problem.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
You need the updated program. You will not get the new module unless the current module failed. But the update should fix your current problem.
Thank You, I am going to make an appointment for my Oil Change and I will list to install any updates to the PAL at that time.

Quick Reply: Pictures of GM PAL Ipod controller