Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Pictures of GM PAL Ipod controller

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pretzel
I have the PAL installed and find it very slow.
I just bought a stock 2009 Radio head off ebay with the new USB interface on the front (plays WMA MP3 AAC iPods and memory sticks throught the USB). Memory sticks are cheaper than iPods :)
I will compare the two and post here.

Notice bottom right side of radio. USB connector

Is this the same head unit that can run the Pioneer 2LT stereo? Do you mind if I ask how much it cost you?
Old 11-20-2008, 03:33 PM

Hello,
I bought it from a salvage yard in Cali (eBay). I paid $200 with free shipping.
The local dealer told me over the phone the p/n was for a 2009 HHR LT.

Craig~
Old 11-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Pretzel
Hello,
I bought it from a salvage yard in Cali (eBay). I paid $200 with free shipping.
The local dealer told me over the phone the p/n was for a 2009 HHR LT.

Craig~
Must be why I haven't seen one on Ebay and your (craigs) list. I'm sure they will be out there eventually. And that is definently a 2009 radio. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:58 PM

So does the iPod play through the USB? As in you can control it through it? Or do you just control it like the aux input?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Founding Member

The USB connector uses the USB standards, 1.1 and 2.0. This type of connector supports rates for low speed (1.5 Mb/s), full speed (12 Mb/s), and high speed (480 Mb/s).

USB Supported Devices:

• USB Flash Sticks (Thumb Drives)

• Portable USB Hard Drives

• CompactFlash (or other portable media) adapters

Depending on the USB mass storage device, some devices may not be recognized. The HUB device is not supported. An iPod can be controlled using the radio buttons and knobs and display the iPod song information on the radio’s display. A special iPod connection cable is needed. This feature supports the following iPod models:

• Fifth generation or later iPod

• First or Second generation or later iPod Nano

For proper operation, make sure the iPod has the latest firmware from Apple®. The iPod firmware can be updated using the latest iTunes application. See apple.com/itunes. To connect and control the iPod, connect one end of the specially purchased iPod connection cable to the iPod’s dock connector. Connect the other end to both the USB port and the auxiliary input jack. The USB port and the auxiliary input jack are located in the center console bin. If the vehicle is on and the USB connection works, a GM logo appears on the iPod. The iPod music displays on the radio’s display and begins playing through the vehicle's radio system. A standard iPod USB cable, like the one that came with the iPod, cannot be used to connect an iPod to the vehicle. The iPod connection cable that was purchased with the vehicle or that was made available from the dealer/retailer must be used in order for this feature to work.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:59 PM

Does anyone know if this puppy works with the iPod Classic 120GB (6th Generation)?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ronzo
Does anyone know if this puppy works with the iPod Classic 120GB (6th Generation)?
It should.. Mine works with the iPhone 3g with everything but the charging capability but I fixed that with an adaptor. I think it works better with the classic iPods than it does with the newer ones like the iTouch and iPhone
Old 02-18-2009, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ronzo
I have the classic 160gb and my wife has the classic 80gb. Both work fine with the PAL controller.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by rommer
I have the classic 160gb and my wife has the classic 80gb. Both work fine with the PAL controller.
Thanks rommer!
Old 02-18-2009, 03:11 PM

PAL and USB

For those with the PAL installed, and those that installed it themselves, what type of connection does the Ipod cable make to the PAL? Is it a USB, or another type of connector? If is is USB, can I just plug a flash drive in instead and play music off of it? I would really like to buy a 2009 model radio with the USB port on the front, but I have yet to find a used one. I see all brands of Ipod adapters that connect like the GM PAL and they have a USB connector for the Ipod cable and wonder if it may be a viable alternative to waiting for a 2009 unit to come up for sale (may be cheaper too).

Quick Reply: Pictures of GM PAL Ipod controller