Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Pioneer AVIC XX and HHr Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by bluonyx
Just need the antenna adapter, Dremel and shop vac! When I cut area behind the radio what a mess. Good thing the plastic is balck so if I missed picking it up it just blended with the carpet. The double din adaptor will fit. You'll need to trim off two tabs on the top but it works great. I tried to tell Crutchfield but whatever. I haven't had any problems with my stereo since the install.

O.K., so they say something will not fit if you have to mod the factory mounts/hole, whatever, so that if in the future you wanted to put the factory stuff back, you could not (and have it look good)

Now I understand.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Freightliner
O.K., so they say something will not fit if you have to mod the factory mounts/hole, whatever, so that if in the future you wanted to put the factory stuff back, you could not (and have it look good)

Now I understand.
You don't need to cut the whole back out. There are existing holes for all the wiring, on mine I just enlarged them but most of the structure is still intact. I could put my factory radio back in at any time. I still need to finish wiring up my steering wheel controls and put in the ipod cable. I'll try to get some pics of how I enlarged the holes when I do and post them.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ween
Awesome. What about XM? It should be possible to reuse the original antenna right? .. so other than the list you described, you only need an antenna adapter and a dremel?
Yes...you can reuse the factory XM antenna. You will need the Pioneer XM tuner though. I did this recently on an '08 Vette. The antenna from the vette works great. You will loose the "terrestrial" antenna though. Most newer XM boxes do not use terrestrial antennas...only satellite. You will need to take the factory xm antenna plug plastic off and then just insert the metal radial pin into the Pioneer XM tuner.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:59 PM

I have the D3 with the steering wheel interface and Pioneer Bluetooth. Everything works great except for a terrible alternator whine. It got better when I unplugged my antenna adaptor so I left it unplugged since i use my Sirius Stilleto unit all the time anyway.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:16 PM

Hey, blueonyx, since you installed yours and it works so well, I'll be over this weekend so you can throw mine togeather. I'll kick in a six pack.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:23 AM

Whats the difference between the Avic F90BT and the Avic F900BT? They're both $569 on Amazon right now. Anyone know? Also, isn't it about that time of yr that new car stereo products hit the shelves? I figure that's why Amazon has the F90 so low. Am I better off holding out for the new hotness?