Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Pre-purchase questions on OEM DVD/BT/GPS radios

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:36 PM

Pre-purchase questions on OEM DVD/BT/GPS radios

Since joining last month, I have searched the forum and web about replacing the stock radio in my 2011 1LT I brought home in late February.

I've found a lot of questions, some answered some not.

Now that the last HHR has rolled off the assembly line, I thought it would be nice to try and answer or enlist the aid of those who previously answered questions by linking them to this thread.

I'm interested in questions that deal with replacement of the stock radios with OEM double din decks that include Pioneer, Kenwood, ebay China decks off ebay, etc.

Also adding subs to the existing precut holes but not filling up storage space with sub boxes, there are plenty of threads on that. I have a problem with building up the SPL inside the HHR with enough pressure to cause permanent hearing damage. I experienced that by playing in rock and roll bands in the seventies and waking up in the 90's one morning with a 30% hearing loss, not fun.

Any one who wants to help will be greatly appreciated, and when I finally do mine, I will try and do a photo or video chronicle of my experience and link or post it here.

Any recommendations on required wiring harnesses, dash kits, required items to keep chimes or steering wheel controls, etc. will be a great help to myself or any other new owner members or future used car owners.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

2011 1LT Crystal metallic red w/ chrome, gray leather and moonroof packages. HHR name Little Red Tiki
Old 04-26-2012, 12:16 PM

Commited

OK, as of this writing I've had 111 views but no response's or comments.

Here is the unit I received yesterday. http://www.amazon.com/Double-DIN-Nav...458881&sr=8-13

at this point I'm going over the wiring diagrams to match up with the Scosche GM2500i mounting and harness kit I purchased to go with it. The head unit is prewired for steering wheel controls with a brown wire marked SW1 and a pink wire marked SW2, they have a warning label around them that is written "Please correctly connect the steering wheel control cable. The unit will be burned if not wired correctly." This worried me, so I am trying to search the internet for a schematic on the 2011 UW5 radio.

Other confusing wires not shown on the OEM head unit are:

Orange with black stripe and inline fuse marked "ILLUM"
Orange wire no fuse marked "ILLUM"
Blue wire marked "BRAKE"
Red wire marked "ACC"
Blue wire with black stripe and inline fuse marked "TV ANT"

The rest seem to match up with the Scosche Harness.

I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before tearing into the dash, if anyone can offer advice I would greatly appreciate it. I can post or email a copy of the wiring diagram of the OEM head unit if needed.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:43 PM

Not to be rude but if wiring up a head unit confuses you take it to a store have done

Reason I make this statement is questions you have are very very basic wiring questions
Old 04-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Deceased

I'm going to suggest you send a PM to American&Proud because in my opinion, he's one of the best audio guys here, and if he can't help you he can probably tell you where to look.

I wish I could be of more help, but I'm away from the office and my service manuals, so I can't even look at the 2011's wiring diagram.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 PM

Check out my company website in my profile, no rudness taken, thought this site was meant to help each other. Been involved with much more complex installations than this, but my job is to advise.

Steve Sr.

Last edited by sab1955; 04-27-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Removed direct link to website
Old 04-26-2012, 01:22 PM

From what I've heard you have to be very careful when wiring up aftermarket head units in our vehicles. I talked with a stereo shop a few weeks back and he said that if you didn't hook it all up right, you would cause the system to throw CELs, cruise control would stop working, etc. If you aren't 100% I'd take it somewhere and have it professionally installed.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Deceased

They can be very "touchy" and great care is needed, unfortunately it would be tomorrow until I could get you a 2011 wiring diagram.

Hopefully someone here can post one up in the meantime.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
I'm going to suggest you send a PM to American&Proud because in my opinion, he's one of the best audio guys here, and if he can't help you he can probably tell you where to look.

I wish I could be of more help, but I'm away from the office and my service manuals, so I can't even look at the 2011's wiring diagram.
Thanks 843de, at the office myself, I'll see if anymore helpful answers come in when I get home tonight, if not I'll send a note as you suggest.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 PM

You might look at http://www.crutchfield.com/app/car/outfitmycar/car.aspx they have everything you need. If you had went to there site and put in your car info they would list all that is needed for your radio install to make it a plug & play.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by oneton
You might look at http://www.crutchfield.com/app/car/outfitmycar/car.aspx they have everything you need. If you had went to there site and put in your car info they would list all that is needed for your radio install to make it a plug & play.
Thanks, I did that but they were out of stock, took the part number got it for less at Amazon.

Last edited by sab1955; 04-26-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: update

Quick Reply: Pre-purchase questions on OEM DVD/BT/GPS radios