Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Pre-purchase questions on OEM DVD/BT/GPS radios

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:33 PM

The steering wheel control wire is based on brand of radio
Brake of course goes to brake wire. It's for safety there are various bypasses. Check local laws though
Orange with fuse is run as main.
Orange without is if you have a illumination(also known as dimmer)
Red is acc power. Think of key switched
Blue tv has several options of use

Reason I suggest professional. If wired wrong throwing cel is least of worries
Wired wrong you can burn onstar, multi media connections done wrong can mess with cruise control
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 PM

Ecotec,

Thanks for the info its really appreciated, I don't have OnStar, and I checked with local installer who won't touch a unit he doesn't sell. I've wired 7 foot tall equipment racks with 1000's of connections, but to be honest there is usually several single line drawings that we had to submit for approval before installing. So I'm used to doing a lot of research before jumping into something.

I've done large auditorium loudspeaker clusters with digital delays, DSP's, etc. But a little car stereo install has me concerned because the wiring diagrams don't match up. I mis-spoke earlier the wires you helped identify are on the head unit and the GM2500i doesn't have them with the exclusion of a single orange wire.

This harness was reccomended on a thread I found on this site, so I decided to go with it. The steering wheel control is built into the head unit, and the manufacturer said I didn't need to buy a separate control for that, but the included diagram shows SW1, SW2 and GND wires going from the unit to "keypad study" which is lost on me.

Don't care about the multi-media as much s the Android and Windows CE capability since I'm on the road a lot for work and could use the computer functions more than watching DVD's or TV which is supposed to be digital ASTC based in this unit.

Anyway, I'm trying to complete the wiring diagram by combining the head unit wiring diagram, the harness and if I can track one down the existing HHR wiring diagram. Just to have a bit more of a warm and fuzzy feeling before tearing into it.

Last edited by sab1955; 04-26-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: clarifications
Old 04-26-2012, 09:25 PM

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P140...D.html?tp=5684

I have this one in my car and love it. Not slow like most cheaper touchscreen head units. Crutchfield gives everything you need and some directions.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:27 PM

You do need an after market adapter though cheaper when you buy a headunit from them

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120OSLA...r.html?tp=3486
Old 04-26-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Wever
You do need an after market adapter though cheaper when you buy a headunit from them

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120OSLA...r.html?tp=3486
I looked at that Pioneer and your right, it is cheaper, but doesn't have all the capabilities of the unit I purchased, I spent three months researching and became very familiar with the Crutchfield website. The manufacturer of my unit did say I needed a wiring harness which is what the Scosche GM2500i is, http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/2148 What I was told was other than the mounting frame and harness w/interface, I didn't need the steering wheel control module since it was built into the head unit.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Wever
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P140...D.html?tp=5684

I have this one in my car and love it. Not slow like most cheaper touchscreen head units. Crutchfield gives everything you need and some directions.
Pioneer and Kenwood's are good units, I sold and installed them back in the early 1970's, I use Pioneer Pro products now in some of our conference and training room installations. It was a good choice and I glad your happy, it just wasn't what I was looking for. As to music I leave that to my wive theses day's, I listen to sports, sports talk or news these days. Blew out my ears playing in bands back in the 70's and 80's, now I just use it as background.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:24 PM

Ya it doesn't have all the features like bluetooth, but its not something I need. Overall I love the thing, would recommend to anyone that wants a cheap touch screen/dvd playing head unit.

Figured id just through out my opinion to try and help

I love listening to music and with a 20 minute drive to work, I do a lot of it.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 PM

Thanks, every opinion counts.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 PM

No problem
Old 04-26-2012, 11:36 PM

No onstar, steering wheel controls, did you have pioneer premium sound?

Harness you linked is more for a standard head unit not a multimedia unit

Quick Reply: Pre-purchase questions on OEM DVD/BT/GPS radios