Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Premium Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 09:47 AM

Premium Audio?

I purchased a 2LT with the "premium audio" system. Sounded pretty good but it only had a single CD changer, so the dealer agreed to upgrade it to a 6 CD changer.

When I got the car back the CD changer worked fine but the bottom had dropped out of the "premium" audio system.

The service folks at the dealer said they needed to reprogram the system which they did, no change. I spoke to the techician and he told me that the reprogramming asks if you have a US8 or US9 changer. After he replied US9 it said thanks. Didn't ask anything about do you have the regualr or "premium" sound system. The tech could hear the difference and he is try to work with Delphi, I believe, on the problem.

I am not looking to crack the pavement with sound (I am a musician and like to crack the walls with sound). I just want a very good sound system in this car.

Any suggestions on how I can get this unit performing the best that it can or am I expecting too much out of it?
Old 05-27-2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by PDice
(I am a musician and like to crack the walls with sound). I just want a very good sound system in this car...am I expecting too much out of it?
Yep. Replacing it with a high-quality aftermarket head unit will give you a day and night sonic difference - even with the stock speakers. Many here have upgraded to aftermarket speakers as well. I'm using Pioneer TS-1681's and they are much more detailed than the stockers.

Best of luck with it!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:12 PM

[QUOTE=SoCalHHR]Yep. Replacing it with a high-quality aftermarket head unit will give you a day and night sonic difference -

I am not usp ont the terminology but If I understand you correctly--

Replace the 6 CD changer / radio with another one? Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to replace/add an amplifier? ANd one more thing... is the 260 watt Pioneer amp in the head unit or is it separate?

Thanks for your reply Mike
Old 05-27-2006, 12:40 PM

I have the six disc changer, XM ( Kinda nice!), and I like the head unit ( Really, it is a nice head unit).
The last time I really went nuts with car audio was the '80's. I custom built boxes to the old cars I drove, added amps, crossovers, subs, etc. Now it is some kind of refined art. I have been told if I want to add amps and change speakers while maintaining the same head unit, I need a box to stabilize the sound output from the head prior to the amps, etc.

Do current head units put out that crappy/variable/low of a signal? What is wrong with getting the correct amps/speakers and crossovers and just adding them in the proper manner?

Now I am told this interface box IS the proper manner. I would not be against doing it this way , but the car audio tech said using this box would negate using the head unit's volume controls, and I like the volume controls! I purchased the premium audio pack for a reason, and one of them was the redundant and very handy radio controls on the steering wheel. I do not want to give them up. Any suggestions. Should I just ignore the car audio guys advice?
Old 05-27-2006, 01:29 PM

Two questions...

Can anyone provide a parts list (amp model #, speaker model #'s, etc) of what makes up the "premium" sound system?

Does anyone have a "How-To" showing how to remove the rear door panels and the molding around the sub-woofer? (I am at this point assmuming that the power amp is in the rear next to the sub woofer.)

I must know what it is that I have before I can figure out what I can do...
Old 05-27-2006, 01:43 PM

when you go to added amps to any factory head unit you need what is called an in line convertor. this converts the stock head units regular positive and negative outputs to rca so that you can run rcas to you amps, which are cleaner than run the hi input. you should still be able to use the volume controls on the head unit if it is factory, if aftermarket you most likely wont be able too. if you are wanting a good stereo system in your car and you are going to spend the money on amps, subs, comps, etc. the first thing you want to do is build a good foundation, that foundation is a new aftermarket headunit.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:26 PM

I appreciate what you are saying JayDogg.

I don't want to spend alot of money on headunits, subs, amps, components, etc. I want to have my current AM/FM, 6 CD changer, aux input for the iPod etc and controls, with enogh clarity to be able to enjoy some good audio on the highway.

Maybe just adding some speakers will to the trick... when I am able to determine exaclty what I have in the car now, I will then be able to configure what I need.

Running out and buying all new components is not a realistic option for me.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:42 PM

im telling you the best thing you can do for the HHR is put a new headunit in it. It opened the sound up much better than stock. and if you are going to replace the speakers, 6.5" comps in the front and 6.5'' coax in the rear would be fine, but until you guys either 1 put an amp on them or change the HU you wont be able to tell to much difference. changing the HU really changed the sound of the stock speakers.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:09 PM

Thanks Jay.

Tell me, did you have the premium sound system installed when you bought you HHR and approximately how much money have you spent on your audio system?

Pat
Old 05-27-2006, 03:27 PM

i didnt waste the money on the premium stereo because i knew it was getting torn out. as for what i have spent so far, im upto 1237 and there will be at least an other 1000-1300 when im done, this will be for 2 sets of comps, 1 more amp, wires, and dynomat.

heres the break down.....
Alpine 9855 - 350 shipped
Alpine Mrd-M1005 - 350 shipped
2 12'' Alpine Type-R's dual 2 ohm - 300 shipped
4 ga Amp kit - 60 shipped
16' Zero noise 3's - 50 shipped
dash kit - 17 + shipping
ant. harness - 10 + shipping
dual 12'' box - 100

Pics found here...

Quick Reply: Premium Audio?