Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Premium Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by jaydogg
when you go to added amps to any factory head unit you need what is called an in line convertor. this converts the stock head units regular positive and negative outputs to rca so that you can run rcas to you amps, which are cleaner than run the hi input. you should still be able to use the volume controls on the head unit if it is factory, if aftermarket you most likely wont be able too. if you are wanting a good stereo system in your car and you are going to spend the money on amps, subs, comps, etc. the first thing you want to do is build a good foundation, that foundation is a new aftermarket headunit.

Yup. I'm sure that is the best way to go. But for now, I will get a decent amp interface, get some amps, replace the sub, get a sub amp, etc. I'm keeping the head unit because it does more than what I want and has the redundant controls on the steering wheels The noise floor of an auto is high, so big amps and solid speakers will do wonders. I even welcome compression to the car audio experience to help with the ambient noise, etc.

Thanks for the info. I figured the head unit/amp interface was a simple RCA changeover, but does it also change the impedance or in some other way make the stock unit work better with after market components?

I still want to be a full family vehicle for hauling my daughter's bike and stuff, so I cannot get a large sub box and figure to just upgrade the sub in the area the stock one has.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:18 PM

you will just need the rca convertor. it helps it all work together much nicer. you can use hi inputs but they arent that great on a sub amp, that is why you want the convertor so that you can use rca's. i know about the whole family thing, my first daughter, so we are told, could be born anywhere from 19 days from now till july 3.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:57 PM

Nice unit JayDogg and I beat it sounds reall good. But quite a bit more than I am going to do.

If you put this system in yourself and can tell me how to remove the panels I would appreciate that.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2006, 05:03 PM

i put it all in.....i havent done any of the door speakers yet. i used to work at a car stereo shop, so i have some knowledge.as for running the wires i took them along the drivers side with out popping anything off, they tucked up in there real nice. when i go for the second amp then im going to tear the car apart, dynomat it and put it back together.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by PDice
Nice unit JayDogg and I beat it sounds reall good. But quite a bit more than I am going to do.

If you put this system in yourself and can tell me how to remove the panels I would appreciate that.

Thanks
Not jaydogg...but Mike from SoCalHHR's has a how to with pictures here.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:11 PM

you can also open the vents all the way and pull it out that way.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:22 PM

All very true but I am not interested in pulling the head unit, rather the speakers in the doors and the sub and amp in the rear.

I found this link to a "How to" by Captain Howdy that goes into this procedure for the front doors.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/deleted-threads-41/captain-howdys-speaker-install-round-1-a-687/

Well done Captain Howdy... looking forward to your next installment.

Old 05-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Banned

I decided not to write another how to because I suck at it and can't make cool ones like SoCalHHR! I did post how to get to the subwoofer box here though.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/sub-install-195/
Old 05-27-2006, 07:07 PM

Well please accept my Thanks for these "How To"s that you have done.

It may not be up to what you would like but, it was very informative and easy to follow.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by PDice
I purchased a 2LT with the "premium audio" system. Sounded pretty good but it only had a single CD changer, so the dealer agreed to upgrade it to a 6 CD changer.

When I got the car back the CD changer worked fine but the bottom had dropped out of the "premium" audio system.

The service folks at the dealer said they needed to reprogram the system which they did, no change. I spoke to the techician and he told me that the reprogramming asks if you have a US8 or US9 changer. After he replied US9 it said thanks. Didn't ask anything about do you have the regualr or "premium" sound system. The tech could hear the difference and he is try to work with Delphi, I believe, on the problem.

I am not looking to crack the pavement with sound (I am a musician and like to crack the walls with sound). I just want a very good sound system in this car.

Any suggestions on how I can get this unit performing the best that it can or am I expecting too much out of it?
I had the single disc player in mine and bought a 6 disc from a member here. Got it all hooked up and everything worked...except it said locked. Called Mike at SoCalHHR's and he said take to dealer to have reprogrammed. I did that and it works fine. You might want to have your dealer call my dealer and ask them how they did it. Century Chevrolet (303) 469-3355 and ask for Jack.

Quick Reply: Premium Audio?