Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Proper lighting for the window switches

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:30 AM

Proper lighting for the window switches

This, I believe, is the way GM should have lit the window control switches, instead of that dumb LED mounted on the ceiling.

This is the kit I used, which cost under $13 buckes.

Wiring it was not as simple as I thought it might be. I did not see any resistor in the lighter plug, so I attempted to hardwire it. Promptly blew it up. I bought a second unit, then broke apart the plug and found the resistor. (Then, I read the tiny, tiny print on the package and saw that it said not to cut the plug off.) Needless to say, I soldered the resistor into the negative lead. Next, I took the light apart so I could paint part of it to match my car and other parts of the interior. Finally came the big problem-the light is flat, and the dash is curved. I first used epoxy putty to attach it, then applyed glazing putty and wet sanded the whole thing. I painted it with black wrinkle finish paint so it would have texture to match the other parts of the console.

Since LED's dont work well with dimmers, I figured I would hook up a relay to one of the dash lights, then connect a full 12 volt supply to the new light. Unfortunately, the relay is not activated by the dash lights. So, until I can check what the actual voltage is and figure something out, I put in a small rocker switch on the side of the console to control the light. Since it lights up when power is on, I dont have to worry about leaving the lights on.

You can see the switch on the left side-it is red.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:32 AM
jx3

Make sure you get some night shots so we can see what it looks like lit up!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:35 AM

I definitly plan on it. When I tested it, though, it was beautiful. A nice blue glow that matches my radio display
Old 11-28-2007, 10:17 PM

this is what i did, what do they say? something about ____ is the sincerest form of flattery?

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/backlit-window-buttons-1878/
Old 11-29-2007, 02:19 PM

Like you, I saw the need for solving the problem except I went about it from the other side. Instead of lighting it from the back, I did it from above. The way you wired it, is it on whenever you start the engine, or only when the lights are on? I would like to have mine come on with the lights but have not figured out how to do it. For now, I have a separate switch.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
Like you, I saw the need for solving the problem except I went about it from the other side. Instead of lighting it from the back, I did it from above. The way you wired it, is it on whenever you start the engine, or only when the lights are on? I would like to have mine come on with the lights but have not figured out how to do it. For now, I have a separate switch.
Run your ground wire like normal.....Then for your positive source, tap the "darker" grey wire (the other wire could be white or light grey, I have a hard time telling) from the rear windshield wiper control switch wiring......Now the lights will come on when all the others come on....Regards
Old 11-30-2007, 08:25 AM

you can also wire these into the dimmer switch... I havn't look at it yet but I'll let you know how it can be done.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:57 AM

Here is the panal at night. You can see the switch lit up in red on the side of the console. It is not visible when driving-my leg blocks it. But it is noticible enough that hopefully I wont forget and leave it on when I leave the car.

I had to paint the chrome around the shifter because it was reflecting the light and made it distracting. I think it looks better red, matching the other parts I painted.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by WhiplashHHR
you can also wire these into the dimmer switch... I havn't look at it yet but I'll let you know how it can be done.
Same thing......Dark Grey Wire.......
Old 11-30-2007, 02:51 PM

Will the LED be ok with the dimmer?

I tried to use a relay through the same wire that I have going to the light on my vacuum gauge (I got the power from that off the 'Airbag Warning Light'). Strangely, although it lights the bulb, it does not carry enough current to operate the relay. When I hooked it up to a test light, it would not even light it. I will go down now, though, and try connecting the LED to that wire and see if it works. It would make it better if I didnt need to turn it on with a separate switch.

Quick Reply: Proper lighting for the window switches