Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

push button start

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by fonque
does the hhr ss have a chipped key? or a PATS (ford) or NATS (nissan) style ignition system where the gauge cluster, ECU, and key have to be coded to each other?
If the keys are chipped how does the chip work on this car? Is the chip tied to the ecu or just the ignition switch/module?
The key chip is matched to the steering column by some variant of RFID. Each steering column can be matched to a maximum of 10(?) keys ever in its life. Then the steering column does some magical interfacing with the BCM.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:03 PM

So would it be wrong to assume someone could place a key into the ignition in the on postion so the wheel would be unlocked,and just leave it like that tucked away somehow so it wasn't obvious or ugly, then use a push button like is being discussed here to just make the electrical connection to send power to the starter (or use the fob) then just get in and drive off with no key being used each time???

I know the key being on would cause power throughout the vehicle and kill battery and possibly fry things, but if there was a way to disconnect that until the push button was pushed then it seems it would work..

With that said it seems it would be much easier to use the darn key and save a bunch of work and money

I'd still be interested in a proximity key/fob for the HHR similiar to the newer high end vehicles.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:49 PM

Computers. RFID. Digital Controls. Everything in the HHR goes through the BCM. The only way to do these things is to figure out how to make the computer believe your lies. Pick up bar implications are real.
Easier to live with what The General gave you.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:09 PM

I'm okay with just the remote start. It's not even a new concept anymore and I get people still almost daily says something about it, "thats so cool" or "Wow, did you just start that from over there" or "OH, that scared me"
Its funny, but a nice compliment at the same time, never had anything this nice before this car. Even with all its issues, its still a very nice car...