Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Radio preset buttons not working.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:58 AM

Radio preset buttons not working.

Has anyone had problems with the presets on the factory head unit not working? I have the uplevel Pioneer sub system/ single cd/ sat stereo. Some times the middle three preset buttons don't work, as well as the seek/ scan and disc eject. And again , sometimes they work. Is there any way to fix this besides replacement? If not for the steering wheel controls, I would be screwed. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Same problem here. Mine is the 2nd and 3rd preset buttons that work part time. Steering wheel controls work all the time.
Plus on occasion, the LED readout will go bonkers on mine. Just a bunch of random dots bouncing around on the display. A sharp thump on the volume control knob fixes it.
Not sure about an easy way to repair this. I'm just going to have mine replaced under warranty.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Well. Here's a 3 year update with a twist.
I did have my original HU replaced under warranty 3 years ago. Been fine until today when I went to change stations using the HU buttons.
THE SAME 2 BUTTONS ARE NOT WORKING AGAIN!!!!! WTH...

OK. I know for a fact that they did change out the HU 3 years back. Didn't try to pull a "fast one" on me. I have a good friend who is the service writer and he's the one who ordered the replacement unit.

The point of this post:
There must be some kind of design flaw or defect in this particular HU. Hard to believe that mine could have the same buttons with the same problems in 2 different radios.
Oh well...............
Old 09-18-2015, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Just the buttons, George? Or the LEDs also
Old 09-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Deceased

Me thinks you're onto something George, especially now that Head Unit #2 needs Thwacked to get its act together again.

And when the preset buttons "go mental" on my '06 and the '11, it always starts with the second and third buttons, then the fourth joins in after a bit.

Pioneer supplied the Head Units to GM, and pure "total failures" aren't too common, but buttons and displays that flake out seem to be a part of HHR ownership.

Just like non-self adjusting "self adjusters" on LS & LT rear drum brakes, noisy sway bar links, noisy or squeaky sway bar bushings, etc.

If our rides were made by the now defunct MG or Triumph, we'd consider such things to be "endearing quirks", but some folks here are driven bonkers odd glitches such as radios that require occasional "Percussive Maintenance".

Like I said in the other thread on this issue, I dissected a head unit from a crashed vehicle, and even opening up the faceplate to get at the guts behind the buttons didn't reveal anything glaringly obvious like corrosion, cracks in the board, or odd wear.

I think Steve's theory about it being related to the passage of time and road vibration is the ultimate explanation.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Just the buttons so far Oldblue.
I'm sure the LCD screen will eventually join the party, just like the 1st HU did.

I would consider going aftermarket, but Dang IT ! I just got done putting a new Kenwood HU and all new speakers in my old Dodge truck. Don't really feel like pulling apart another dash so soon.
Guess as long as it still plays, I'll leave it alone for now
Old 09-23-2015, 11:07 AM

Sometimes low-grade contacts wear out, and sometimes, conversely, that suffer from disuse, because they get a thin layer of corrosion or gunk. The radio tuning knob (which sends pulses) on another GM car (2003) started misbehaving and I just keep turning in and now it works fine. Now I just make sure I use it regularly and it's fine.

SO...are those same two buttons one that get used less?

There are spray-on contact cleaners for electronics, but I don't know how they work.

I've successfully resurrected key fobs (albeit temporarily) by cleaning the contacts with a pink pencil eraser. Also, cordless phone that refused to recharge.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Lake Runner
Has anyone had problems with the presets on the factory head unit not working? I have the uplevel Pioneer sub system/ single cd/ sat stereo. Some times the middle three preset buttons don't work, as well as the seek/ scan and disc eject. And again , sometimes they work. Is there any way to fix this besides replacement? If not for the steering wheel controls, I would be screwed. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks in advance.
OMG. IT WORKED.

I have a 2010 HHR-SS. While the buttons on the steering wheel continued to work fine, on the radio itself from left to right the buttons for "fav," presets 1 & 6, and "Eq" stopped working 2 nights ago. They came back to life briefly, but then were gone the next night. I just rapped on the volume knob as instructed and the affected keys started working again. I hope the fix lasts.

Andy

OK, a quick fix to try, and even though it sounds dumb...it brings the preset buttons back to life on both my 2006 and 2011 HHR's when the buttons go goofy every 18 months or so.

With the key turned to accessory, turn the radio off, and give the volume knob two or three sharp raps on its top edge with your knuckle, like you're trying to crack the shell on a hardboiled egg.

Then turn the radio on and check the presets for a return to normal function.

Why the head units lose certain functions on their faceplate buttons is debatable, but my technique of rapping on the volume knob has never failed
Old 01-07-2020, 01:00 PM

I see where there was a replacement face plate.
If you could get one or a used one, does the radio have be reflashed ?
Just curious.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:03 PM

no, the chip is inside the HU.

Quick Reply: Radio preset buttons not working.