Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Rear Door Speaker Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 04:44 PM

Rear Door Speaker Brackets

I have a Black 06 HHR LS with the basic 6 speaker sound system. After reading the many threads in the forum on upgrading the speakers and what brackets to use if any I decided to add my two cents. Since I wanted to keep a factory look the biggest issue I faced was how to mount my new speakers without drilling holes and without having to buy the “premium system” brackets (which aren't sold without the speakers). I determined it was possible to use the existing “base” brackets by sacrificing the factory speakers and modifying them. The following posts show how I did it using only a Dremel, some basic tools and a little time to figure it all out.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:53 PM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 79
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!
Old 04-08-2007, 05:04 PM

1) This is the factory speaker with bracket. On the basic sound system they are 1 piece. I started by cutting away the foam trim around the front of the speaker.

2) Next you must pull the speaker material away from the front edge to expose the back of the speaker bracket so they can be cut off.

3) I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel to easily cut the plastic mounting brackets that hold the magnet portion of the speaker/bracket. It will look rough and the plastic will melt as you cut it. I found a medium speed works well.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:11 PM

4) Next I cut away the vertical lip that forms a recess in the bracket. This makes the bracket smooth and creates the mounting surface for the new speaker. Be sure not to cut too deep. You want this surface as smooth as possible. I left a bit of the lip and sanded the rest smooth to make sure I didn’t cut it too deep.

5) I continued trimming on the back side of the bracket to remove what was left of the magnet brackets to make them smooth as well. However, once I figured out that I would need to make the whole larger to fit my 6.5” speakers this step is not necessary. But I included it in case you are using 6” speakers. Everything still looks rough at this point.

6) After I sanded and scrapped away all the melted and rough spots this is what I was left with, a factory type bracket ready to be sized for you speakers. This is the first one I did and it took me a couple of hours of thinking, tinkering, cutting, sanding and of course taking the step by step pictures. Once I determined the best way for it to work the second one only took me about 30 minutes.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:15 PM

7) The final step was to trim the hole to fit my 6.5” JL Audio coaxial speakers and to drill the mounting holes to hold the speakers in place. The holes needed to be drilled at a bit of an angle with a small bit to accommodate the right sized screws to hold the speakers in place.

8) The final step was to remount the bracket with the speaker in the door using the factory hardware.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:15 PM

Interesting. I knew those factory speakers were good for something

NG
Old 04-08-2007, 05:21 PM

I have only had my HHR for about 3 weeks and this is the first mod I have done so far. I started with the rear door speakers and what a difference over the factory ones! Hope this info helps others who want to upgrade their rear door speakers. Next up is JL Audio component sets in the front doors and the tweeters in the pillars.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:26 PM

Nice job!
Old 04-08-2007, 06:39 PM

Welcome to the best HHR site Good how to
Old 04-09-2007, 01:53 PM

I just got started on my speaker install,and just got the rear speakers out... what a piece of work these brackets are, GM really is making this car a real ***** to work on,I mean how hard would it have been to use some kind of universal style bracket with four screws.
to customize, the air filter has 7 torx head screws plus the two ducts to remove ,
then there is the whole head unit fitting/wiring crap.
unfortunatly the speakers i bought are a little to big for the mounts. Im going to have to get creative.
not looking forward to the front doors

Quick Reply: Rear Door Speaker Brackets