Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Rear speaker cutting in and out

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by bugo
How long does it take for speakers to "break in"? Does the stereo have to be on to help the speakers break in faster? Or does it break in just sitting idle? Roughly how many hours of the stereo being on does it take to break the speakers in?
Personally, for basic car audio speakers under $100 each, I've found that a break-in period is basically useless, but for higher end speakers it can be beneficial.

For those higher end speakers, I tend to hit 25% volume the 1st hour, then 50 - 60% volume for the rest of the next 2 weeks or 10 hours of playing time. But there is no blanket answer as every speaker is different.

Here's what Eminence has to say on speaker break-in.. keeping in mind Eminence are primarily guitar, bass, or PA speakers.

"Speaker break-in will vary from model to model. It can even vary between two of the same model. The degree to which a speaker has reached break-in is a very subjective topic. Some players like them right out of the box and others want to beat them to within an inch of their lives. Most players hopefully fall somewhere in-between. There really is no "magic" inherent in speaker break-in methods. The speaker will continue to break-in naturally throughout its lifespan, but the most noticeable amount will occur early on. Some of the most widely used techniques for break-in include: Playing music through the speaker at moderate volumes for a few days (some players even have specific songs they use), Using a Variac, Hanging the speaker with the cone facing downward to promote suspension sag, and Physically moving the cone up and down. We often use a noise signal generator at 20Hz with enough current to get the speaker moving smartly for a few hours, but without abusing it. Guitar speakers are generally not accustomed to very low frequencies and it is easy to harm them if you are not careful. The most highly recommended and safest way is several hours of higher volume playing. "
Old 01-15-2016, 04:43 PM

I replaced all four speakers today. I got the Pioneers that I posted a link to upthread. It was an easy job although I did have to drill 2 holes in each door to mount the speaker. I put baffles in the back. The old speakers were tired and worn and dirty. The new speakers sound great. I watched several videos on youtube right before I installed the speakers about removing and replacing the door panel. I was afraid removing the door panel was going to be a huge pain but it was a lot easier than I expected for it to be.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:56 PM

I called a local car audio shop and they quoted me $450 just to install the speakers that I already had. Is that a normal price or is this guy just expensive? If I could get paid $450 for swapping 4 speakers I'd quit my job.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:54 PM

In the early '70s when car stereos were pretty new I installed zillions {this may be a slight exaggeration} of stereos and speakers.

Everyone wanted whatever the hottest mobile sound system was in their car. I made some crazy money because I was not afraid to take door panels off and put speakers in doors. I never had the nerve to charge that much though.

As I recall the most I ever charged anyone was $50.00. I sold new and used car stereo and new and used CB's too.

I also understood basic electrical theory.

I had the first record player in a car in my county, it was not stereo but it was the first. It did not work worth a hoot unless the car was sitting still but still was the first in the county. Later I had the first 8 track player, then the first AM/FM cassette in dash stereo radio in my county.

I was the first in my family to have a CD player in my car.

I also had a small CB shop and installed lots and lots of CB's. I also fixed CB's and other electronic things in my shop.

Last edited by Grizzly old man; 01-16-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:24 PM

$450 to install 4 speakers? It sounds like the owner of that store thought since he didn't win the Powerball that he would make his millions or billions from you and anyone else he can get into the store.

Like Grizzly, I've installed a few speakers in my day(not quite zillions either :) ) and they really aren't that hard. In my case, it was the cost of a couple of beers on a Saturday in my younger days. I do recommend to anyone that decides to do it on their own to watch as many videos on You Tube and here to get comfortable with the process and take their time.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:34 AM

What amazes me is people actually consent to pay that much for such simple work.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Back in my stereo installer days, 1974 the whole stereo and four speakers including install was only about $175.00