Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Simplest/cheapest Modest Audio Upgrade Option for Stock 1LT System?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 10:16 PM

Modest Audio Upgrade Option for Stock 1LT System (not doing it myself)?

Hi. I am the proud new owner of a 2007 Drk Silver Metallic 1LT with Chrome, Rack and the Safety Package. Born September of 2007 5300 miles.

I love the car but the audio I'm getting out of the stock (non-Premium) unit is rather unimpressive (my 01 Cavalier was better!).
I like the functionality (bells and whistles) of the stock head unit, but the overall system just doesn't have the "umph" to get the decibels where I need them to be. I am not looking for a huge box with "thumping" bass, but just a good 50-100%+ increase from the current sound level (while maintaining clarity).

I'm not that comfortable messing with wires and door panels etc. myself so I will probably have a pro do it, but I'd like to have a plan and have a pretty goog idea of what I'm going to have done before I make some calls to try and find someone to do the install.

A few questions:

-Will just replacing the stock speakers to those of higher quality increase the decibels and quality of audio output? Give some examples of some affordable choices that can be easily swapped in for the stock models (for the four door speakers and the upper frame tweeters too) to accomplish this.

If merely swapping out the speakers won't do the job, then I assume I need to either replace the head unit or add an amp.

If I go the amp route, my thoughts after some casual reading here, is to have someone install an amp that fits in one of the rear compartments, either the main one in the center of the rear cargo area or in those rectangular storage areas just behnd the rear seatbacks, then upgrade all of the speakers...

Not sure about a sub...I like the idea of putting one in the existing 8" cutout, there from the premium system option (which I don't have) but if that's a big deal to do (building a box behind it?) then might I be better off just making sure my door speakers have adequate bass? I'm not looking to vibrate my ass off, just to have the low end be present and clear.

I assume a pro will know how install and wire it all up. Can you make some specific recomendations for a relatively small footprint amp (I don't need mega power, just a decent boost from current levels) and speakers and whatever I'd need? I prefer to minimize any mods to the stock appearance and want to avoid losing much of any storage space.

If I have a pro install, will it help to tell the him where the harness is located (as seen here: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...?t=2891&page=2 )?

How much can I expect to pay for labor to put in an amp, 4 new speakers + rail tweeters?

Alternatively, what's the best way to go about upgrading from my 6 speaker LT1 stock system to the (stock) Premium Pioneer setup? Can a Chevy dealer do this install (how much would it cost all together)? Can I try to buy a premium HU (ebay etc.) second hand and have a pro swap it into my car? What about the rear sub, can I just order that and have the installer wire it and put it in or do I need one at all? How much could I expect to pay for the labor on that option (installing the stock premium system) and how much if I add the sub?

Thanks so much in advance for any answers (or links to other threads) anyone may have on these questions.

hrry

Last edited by hrry; 09-01-2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: chg title
Old 09-01-2008, 04:59 PM

Welcome to the site! sorry i can't help out ,but there are alot of guys on here that should be able to help!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:18 AM

New speakers will help a little. (I tried that first in mine.) However if you want good sound and the ability to tune it to your car then you also need to at least add a good H.U.
I also purchased a used HHR sub enclosure off Ebay. Haven't installed it yet, still have to get an amp for it.
Good luck with your project.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:29 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by hrry
Hi. I am the proud new owner of a 2007 Drk Silver Metallic 1LT with Chrome, Rack and the Safety Package. Born September of 2007 5300 miles.
Name:  welcome-1-1.gif
Views: 72
Size:  38.2 KB

Originally Posted by hrry
Alternatively, what's the best way to go about upgrading from my 6 speaker LT1 stock system to the (stock) Premium Pioneer setup? Can a Chevy dealer do this install (how much would it cost all together)? Can I try to buy a premium HU (ebay etc.) second hand and have a pro swap it into my car? What about the rear sub, can I just order that and have the installer wire it and put it in or do I need one at all? How much could I expect to pay for the labor on that option (installing the stock premium system) and how much if I add the sub?
The amp/wiring is not there to add a factory sub. If you do go to a different factory HU, the dealer will have to reprogram for you. If you are that dissatisfied w/ the factory system you have now, best to just upgrade to all aftermarket components --- what ever brand you are comfortable/familiar with.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:43 PM

Can I just keep the existing head unit and add an amp and upgrade the speakers? I don't necessarily need a sub...I figure I can add an amp for a moderate power boost and then upgrade the speakers accordingly, no?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:58 PM

Yes you can with out a doubt do that. Might have to run new speaker wires though from the amp.
Also the standard H.U. has very little adjustability. If you want decent sound where you can adjust the highs, mids and lowes you will want to eventually get a better one.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:57 PM

I don't need to mess with the eq that much...I can probably get by with the basic controls and presets of the stock unit...I just need more decibels (with minimal distortion at the higher volumes)...

Any recommendations on upgrades to the stock speaker system for just the 6 speakers I already have? I don't think I want to go with a subwoofer just yet...so I figure maybe get some decent door speakers that are capable of carrying good low end and mid.range..the rail tweeters at ear level will more or less power the higher end....

So, I'll need the speakers and an amp sufficient to power them. I'd prefer not to spend a ton on this...I'm not looking to put together some sick system that blows anyone away...just a moderate upgrade. So, anyone have specific recos for the four 5 1/4" (I think?) door speakers and maybe the two rail tweeters? I want to acquire the products (probably online, links PLEASE) then approach some local installers for a deal on the labor.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2008, 01:21 AM

The door speakers are actually 6 1/2", and on the base system might be one piece with the installation rings. The tweeters are integrated with the front door speakers, 1" but some aftermarket ones may have a larger ring that might not fit without some difficulty.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by prod
The door speakers are actually 6 1/2", and on the base system might be one piece with the installation rings. The tweeters are integrated with the front door speakers, 1" but some aftermarket ones may have a larger ring that might not fit without some difficulty.
I just bought two pair of these...

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...SPS17C2&tp=105

I noticed a lot of the reviews mention they got much better sound simply by swapping those babies in for the stock speakers, many without changing out their stock head units. I figure I'll get them in there and see if that does the trick..if not I'll probably add an amp...

You mention that the tweeters are integrated with the front door speakers...what does that mean for when I swap these new Alpines in there? Do I have to do anything special?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2008, 02:05 PM

i would assume that putting these in the front would mean loosing your A pillar tweeters?.?

Quick Reply: Simplest/cheapest Modest Audio Upgrade Option for Stock 1LT System?