Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Sony xnv770bt & headrest dvd players

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:16 AM

Sony xnv770bt & headrest dvd players

Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting a forum member here by the
handle of Orange Whip. He installed a Sony xnv770bt nav unit and 2 9" headrest dvd players
and a Sony rear view camera in my '09 HHR LT2.

The installation was extremely clean and well executed. This guy really
knows what he is doing. His prices are very reasonable. I would urge
anyone in the Chicagoland area to contact him for your AV install needs.

From now on, if I have anything else in the way of car audio/video/Nav/
Alarm/Remote start installation needs, he is certainly my go-to guy.

I would suggest a private e-mail to him on this site as a means of contact.
Again, his user name is Orange Whip (He has an '07 Sunburst Orange HHR LS).
Old 03-18-2011, 02:04 PM

I really appreciate your business, Tim. Make sure you keep that Nav updated, we have seen a dropout for the GPS signal, without and update.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 AM

Nav has been updated. According to Tom Tom's web site, at some point down the road they
will be offering lifetime updates. It will be interesting to see what they charge for this, I am
thinking the price will be comparable to what they are charging now for their other devices.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:11 AM

I know this is an old thread and it appears OrangeWhip hasn't been on here since last October, but I'm hoping someone can answer this. Just got a deal I couldn't pass up on an XNV-770BT head unit and I need to know what else I'll need to install it. My '06 2LT has the steering wheel controls and factory premium sound system with subwoofer. I don't want to get into speaker upgrades; I just want the new HU to work with the factory stuff. (I'm sure my kids would like me to add the headrest monitors; maybe someday.) I bought it primarily to get built-in navigation and to work with my iPod (along with basic stereo functions, of course).

I thought I read somewhere about needing something to retain the factory chimes, and maybe something else to retain the steering wheel controls. Obviously I'll need something to adapt to the factory wiring harness. What about the antenna?

If anyone has experience with this or a similar install, I'd really appreciate any guidance. I'm more than capable of doing the work myself but if I don't have to spend weeks researching part numbers and can have everything ready the first time around, I'd be thrilled.

Thanks,
Brent
Old 07-17-2012, 03:46 PM

Check Crutchfield 1st, then once you know what you need Google can help find lower prices.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Father Azmodius
Check Crutchfield 1st, then once you know what you need Google can help find lower prices.
Tried Crutchfield but they're useless in this case because they say the XNV-770BT is incompatible with the HHR. It was all downhill from there.

I'm thinking the following should be enough to do what I need. Am I missing anything?
  • Metra (Axxess) GMOS-LAN-04 amplified interface
  • Metra ASWC steering wheel interface
  • Metra 95-3302 double DIN dash kit
  • Brake bypass kit (just because)

If I buy the stuff soon before the deals I found are gone, it looks like I can get it all for under $100 total. Just want to be sure before I order. Thanks for any help!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:12 PM

That pretty much covers it. The only thing else I think you need is some kind of adapter for the subwoofer. Other than that, it looks like you're good to go.
Best to order the stuff on-line. We wnt to Best Buy and they gave us a runaround because they wanted to do the install. Be sure to check the package
when you get the GM-LAN-04. Mine was missing a wiring harness.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM

Thanks, Doc! Any info on what I need for the subwoofer would be great so I can place one order and not end up with extra shipping fees. No antenna adapter needed then?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:44 AM

Now that you mention it, I seem to recall I needed one but I can't remember which one. You can check Crutchfield or there's another outfit whose name escapes me who has pretty good installation information. A Google search
should help. I'm really unsure about the subwoofer/speaker adapter.
Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:56 AM

Thanks. I ordered up the stuff in my list above and from what I read the GMOS-LAN-04 includes wiring to deal with the factory subwoofer/amp, so I'm hoping that's all I need. A couple different sites I checked didn't say anything about needing an antenna adapter, so I'm hoping I don't need one. If I find out that I do, I'll just pay through the nose and get one locally rather than wait 1-2 weeks for one to ship from the Internet.

I'll update here with pics and details once I get everything and get started on the install. May not happen right away, but hopefully what I figure out will help someone else down the road.

Quick Reply: Sony xnv770bt & headrest dvd players