Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Sound Proofing

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 12:36 AM

Sound Proofing

Welp..gonna take the plunge..already ordered the Rammat and Esolite so when it gets in the SS gets parked and interior stripped for sound proofing...
this oughta be fun..love ripping apart brand new things to mak it better.well at least there won't be any 2 year old coke and ff's smells to deal with!
I think I'll even do a comparrison first,,stock speakers sound proofed and then the Infinities. This way I get to compare what the SP did before adding better speakers and upgraded sub.....
Old 04-11-2009, 01:07 PM

The sound proofing makes a night and day difference. When you do the doors cut metal to cover the holes. That way the SP has something to adhere to. I used Raamat in my HHR.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:12 PM

Filling extra holes in the doors and having just the hole for the driver also gives the driver an actual air space and makes it sound better as well. To do one better make a fiberglass enclosure that fits inside the door for the door speaker. This is the path I may go with my brothers, I'm still sort of planning out how to put the 3 way speakers in.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Welp..gonna take the plunge..already ordered the Rammat and Esolite so when it gets in the SS gets parked and interior stripped for sound proofing...
this oughta be fun..love ripping apart brand new things to mak it better.well at least there won't be any 2 year old coke and ff's smells to deal with!
I think I'll even do a comparrison first,,stock speakers sound proofed and then the Infinities. This way I get to compare what the SP did before adding better speakers and upgraded sub.....
Ordered mine as well. Need to wait for my warranty to expire, 1K more. Can't wait to start ripping apart!
Old 04-11-2009, 03:34 PM

Thats one of the points to sealing everything off in the doors..to make it a sealed chamber to say..like building a speakerbox.Been toying with an idea for the sub box in the rear, on aircraft we use a honeycomb panel that is extremely light but strong..a 3/8 thick board is stronger then any mdf(and moisture proof), but not sure about sound accoustics, something I have to look into but think can be handled with the right covering.Its better then fiberglass so if should be ok in that area.Real easy to work and form. Don't see why I couldn't make a complete unit that plugs in so if it needs removal its just a plug away.A simple 7 wire cannon plug should work fine.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:35 PM

Im thinking of making some kind of enclosure for the door speakers. I was just going to get the mounting adapters (I have the base speakers that are one piece) but they would be like $100 shipped to canada for two pairs.
Do you think it would be possible to make small boxes for the door speakers out of 1/2" mdf instead of the adapter rings?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:05 PM

Too much moisture there for MDf..
Old 04-30-2009, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by imagepower
Ordered mine as well. Need to wait for my warranty to expire, 1K more. Can't wait to start ripping apart!
Why wait for your warranty to expire. Customizing the interior and deadening the panels wont void the warranty.
Even if it did, who cares, you wanna do it anyway.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ed RazorLite
Why wait for your warranty to expire. Customizing the interior and deadening the panels wont void the warranty.
Even if it did, who cares, you wanna do it anyway.
Taking it apart this weekend, couldn't wait!
Old 04-30-2009, 07:12 AM

you could always use a plastic material for the ring, like maybe a pvc or ABS.so the moisture wont effect it.

Quick Reply: Sound Proofing