Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Sound Proofing

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:40 AM

I made my adapter ring out of an old bathroom divider. The kind used in restaruants and businesses. Its a super dense plastic. I also used modeling clay between the ring and door for added vibration dampening.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by hugheshhr
I made my adapter ring out of an old bathroom divider. The kind used in restaruants and businesses. Its a super dense plastic. I also used modeling clay between the ring and door for added vibration dampening.
what else works without the oily residue is double sided foam tape from 3M, that or the crystal clear stuff either way dont peel one side or else your speaker just may become a permanent fixture-- the crystal clear stuff is REALLY sticky stuff, almost good enough for mounting exterior ground effects!!
Old 05-03-2009, 11:20 PM

Did 3 ot of 4 doors this weekend..the Infinities will fit the stock speaker rings(Pioneer)..Gm did attempt to improve the noise levels on the SS,,but Rammat fixed it. Just doing the doors speakers and Rammat ( with foam) made al the difference in the world( tweets to come shortly). Didn't have to isloate the speakers..by using RM and Ensolite it acted like a isolator...built a dense foam ring to go around the outside to seal to the door panel.The low to mid range is fantastic now. Did not lose any volume like some said they did( no barriers no doubt) ,some people would probably stop here and not touch the sub, it sounds that good..but not I, it needs some serious punch now.. the door fix just highlited the other areas that will need to be addressed now. And the road noise levels went down too..now itching to get the rest of the car done.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:46 PM

Finally got around to do the back end of the SS...What a difference that made...
Poly filly the subbox ( was going to change it out for another Pioneer sub I have but its slightly bigger in the ring and wouldn't fit.) and Rammatted the subbox..yeehaa!
I actuall y have bass you can feel now....still going to add a seperate sub box for effect, only speaker Ive changed is the front lowers, still need to do the tweets..not quite crisp enough for me... really want to do a HU to bring out the beast..soon...............
Old 09-22-2009, 08:20 PM

Thanks "Woody" (if I may) for the write up. How was the rammat to work with? A buddy sugested this site and to use the damplifier pro...any thoughts? Thanks!
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/index.php
Old 09-22-2009, 09:10 PM

All depends what your trying to do..I just wanted to perk things up a bit on the insides..wasn't going as far to do the roof or anything,,, the rest is easy, just time consuming.Its nerving taking a new vehicle apart to mod it, but since I do this with airplanes its not so bad. I went with Rammat because of the price and the way they wrote up the articles for it. It stood up to the more expensive materials. I have used Dynamat in my truck and really didn't think it was worth what they ask for it.Ram goes on real easy, you won't get cut up and you don't need anything specal, just keep plenty of replacement blades handy.As mentioned its all into what your trying to do,,i don't show or compete so its just for me and I;m pleased with the results( Ive been around music since I could crawl). Compared to the other types out there I felt you get more bang for the buck with these guys...
http://www.raamaudio.com/
Old 09-23-2009, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the link. I really just want get rid of the road noise, on some of the streets around here the Pilots drive me nuts. Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:23 PM

I used the Raamat myself. I agree its easy to put on, and you will need plenty of blades. It works well. Ive got about 2 or 3 layers on my doors. They are well deadened and more rigid now. I would recommend putting metal over the holes in the door and then the raamat over that.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by hugheshhr
Ive got about 2 or 3 layers on my doors. They are well deadened and more rigid now.
just curious, how many sq.ft. did you use, and what all did you cover? I have done this before a few times, but I just starting on this car and bought one roll (62.5 sq.ft.) hoping that should be enough as I don't plan on doing the roof.. thanks
Old 09-25-2009, 09:14 AM

I only used approximately half a roll. I covered the whole inner door panel that the speakers mount to. I glued metal over the openings in the panels and layered the raamat over that. There was a night and day difference in midbass afterwards. I also used a dense plastic for speaker baffles and put modeling clay tween the baffles and doors. That helps isolate the speakers from the door some.

Quick Reply: Sound Proofing