Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Speaker Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:35 PM

Check out this thread...there's a little info here an another idea that might work for you as well.

Unfortunately, one of the links in there does not work anymore and other is missing pics, but still a little helpful info anyway.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/speaker-brackets-adapters-1694/
Old 04-03-2008, 09:10 PM

Half a sheet of 1/4" MDF, a jigsaw, a little know-how, and an hour of my time and I made my own cost $3 for the MDF. I covered the back with some Dynamat and screwed my Polk speakers into that, sounds awsome and I dont have to worry about the plastic cracking which it might.
(I know mine did in my Cavalier within 3 months of purchasing the adapters)
Old 04-04-2008, 12:26 AM

.25'' mdf and a jigsaw? makes a perfect adapter
Old 04-04-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by dr_fosg8
Just a thought here...if you order your new speakers from Crutchfield they used to include stuff like these rings and even adapters for the factory wiring if needed. Again just my
Excellent point. I actually buy all of my stuff from them-when they have sales, their prices are excellent. But most importantly, they have UNBELIEVABLE customer support. They give good advise, and stand behind it. If you are not happy with something, they take it back and pay for the return shipping charges. And, they do still include the adapter rings and the wiring harness (although the plug did not fit, so I had to use the HHR one anyway).
Old 04-06-2008, 05:29 PM

I originally did the mdf and jig saw way. Until I found a set of the premium rings. Either or works just fine.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by hugheshhr
I originally did the mdf and jig saw way. Until I found a set of the premium rings. Either or works just fine.
Masonite is not really waterproof, and it will likely get wet on the door. Of course, you have the option of cutting it for different size speakers smaller than 6 1/2. But then, I wonder why use a smaller speaker?

By the way, over the years that I have been installing and modifing car sound systems, I have done a LOT of experimenting, especially with tweeter placement. It is the most critical component, since the high frequency aspect of music is very directional. In the past, I would wire the tweeter then test it in a variaty of locations until I found the one that worked the best, then I would figure out a way of attaching there so it looked acceptable (performnace was always the top priority to me, and asthetics was second). In my last car, a Saturn, I installed the tweeters on each side of the dashboard in the module that also housed the air vent. I taped a speaker grill on it, then used a dremel tool to drill out all of the little holes (very tedious) and then mounted the tweeter behind it. Looked great, and sounded fantastic. Thankfully, not necessary on the HHR. The pillars on our cars is truly the optimal spot. GM really did their homework designing this system. (Low frequency is the easiest to conceal, since the sub can be placed virtually anywhere.)
Old 04-06-2008, 09:02 PM

Awesome info guys, thanks. I decided to go the route of making my own out of that MDF stuff. I didn't know what it was, but I'm pretty crafty, and as soon as we actually get a NICE day here in the Baltimore area, I'll be out there workin on it.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by kjlee2112
Awesome info guys, thanks. I decided to go the route of making my own out of that MDF stuff. I didn't know what it was, but I'm pretty crafty, and as soon as we actually get a NICE day here in the Baltimore area, I'll be out there workin on it.
MDF is good stuff, but you need to keep a few things in mind. First, the dust you get from it when you cut it or sand it is very hazardous to breath, so work with it in a well ventillated area. Second, depending on the thickness, make sure it will fit if you are attaching it to the door frame and the door panel has to go over it. And finally, screws do not hold very well directly into it. Most people use threaded sleeves when they are attaching speakers to it.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 AM

thanks for the info! im waiting for a good day here in md to do this.. i swear its been raining for a month