Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Speaker upgrade for 2007 LT

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:20 AM

Infinity kappa Series!

I have the infinity Capa R Series in all four doors yes dynamated! and love the sound very crisp & clear and yes i have 2 shallow kicker CVR 10" subs in the rear with two kicker amps 4 & 6 chanel w/ a & lighting cap for the thump!!
see pics in gallery
jeff
Old 09-17-2012, 12:41 PM

We are leaning towards some infinity speakers. We took a trip to Fry's and listened to a few and they sounded the best for the price range we were looking at. We're also looking at seeing what it will take to replace the head unit with something fairly basic, but better than the factory and has the pre-outs necessary to support a sub in the future.

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:47 PM

I personally reccomend the Alpine Type-S for all four speakers. You could do a baisci set of two-way's in the rear doors, and a set of components in the front. They should be around $100 a set. itll allow you to replace the tweeters in th A-pillars as well. They arent the cheapest, but also not the most expensive. In additon, if you ever wanted to amplify them, you could because they can take a little bit of power. I have them in mine, and I love them. its all powered by an Alpine double din. I agree with the above posting about the double din head unit. It just looks really dumb with a single din. Whoever designed the single DIN kits, did not have style in mind.

I would get a baisic alpine deck if you are trying to stay on the cheap side, most of their units sound great out of box. You could pick up a baisic deck with Ipod hook up and Bluetooth for $100. I just put one of those in my Fiance's cobalt and she loves it.

Let us know what you ended up doing... Good luck.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by HHRMom_0791
We are leaning towards some infinity speakers. We took a trip to Fry's and listened to a few and they sounded the best for the price range we were looking at. We're also looking at seeing what it will take to replace the head unit with something fairly basic, but better than the factory and has the pre-outs necessary to support a sub in the future.

Thanks for the input!
If you replace the speakers you should replace the head unit...the factory setup has 8 ohm rear speakers so when you put in new ones (at 4 ohms) the rears will be much louder than the front.

Best buy has this radio for $111 dollars. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/DEH-6400BT great radio bluetooth, hands free calling, and ipod/iphone friendly.

Speakers are going to be what you pay for them...50 dollar speakers will sound like 50 dollar speakers.

I don't like using the GMOS interface. For the 100 dollars it will cost...not worth it in my opinion.

If you have any other questions I'm a MECP certified car audio/video installer and will answer any questions you might have. PM me and I'll send you my phone number.

Good luck and it sounds like you are moving in the right direction.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by HHRMom_0791

Thanks for the input!
Infinitys sound good on head unit power. But wont last long if he ever moves up to a 4 channel amp down the road. I had 4 pair of 6.5 in a car ran for over a year non amped and they sounded great. Eventually sub upgrades made it necessary for me to amp the mid's to even out the sound. They didn't last long after amping them.

They should be a good choice if he is not going to over do it with the sub.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:12 AM

Talking 5 years still going strong!

I was surprised you said that because i have have the infinity's Comp. line
running 2 12'' kicker subs and a 6 channel & 4 Channel amp and have had them for over 5 years now!
But i don't push the bass hard also... And rattle the windows but i could!
I also love the alpine S line as well.
jeff
Old 09-21-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by jeff schaffer
I was surprised you said that because i have have the infinity's Comp. line
running 2 12'' kicker subs and a 6 channel & 4 Channel amp and have had them for over 5 years now!
But i don't push the bass hard also... And rattle the windows but i could!
I also love the alpine S line as well.
jeff
They didn't last long for me. I had a Rockford Fosgate 551x 4 channel on them at 93watts RMS per channel. Gains set low. And I know what I'm doing. I have over powered many speakers in my life never seen one explode like the infinity's the baskets just shredded. And the door speakers where not playing any bass I had them Crossed over at about 120htz and above only.

Oh well it gave me an excuse to move up to some MB Quartz. They are still going strong.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

I did the head unit, Alpine900BT, with MBQuartz, sounds great to me.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Premium Member

stock mids and highs sound fine if you put them on an amp.

dont bother replacing the door and a pillar speakers if you just plan to run them from the head unit.

I've tried several $50-$60 tweeter sets from local car audio shops that sounded horrible compared to the stock tweeters.

It's pretty hard to blow the stock mid ranged unless you have a really beefy 4 channel amp. and even then, you would need to re-wire the entire speakers since they are bridged with the tweeters (and only an idiot would be pushing a LPF amp to those like that, since it would blow the tweets)

tl;dr put an amp on the front tweeters and mids and buy a line output converter to switch the speaker outputs on the head unit to RCA's that amplifiers will need.

stock head unit is garbage in terms of sound quality
Old 10-13-2012, 09:56 AM

Wow, tons of info on speaker upgrade. I'm hoping someone can boil it down to the basics (maybe make it idiot proof?). I have a 2008 LT with basic radio. It seems I have three dead speakers, so rather than just replace them with stock units, I would like to upgrade them. I'd like to get all four speakers for under $150.
I have read the various threads, and it's a bit overwhelming. I want to replace speakers only, not the head unit. And I don't want to add an amp. I have ordered adapter rings and the wiring adapter/pigtail. I have wiring info so I can deal with polarity of the connections. I understand I need 6.5" speakers for both front and rear. After that is where I get confused. Front speakers are 4ohm, and it seems I should NOT get a 2-way speaker because of the factory, dash-mounted tweeter. Correct? As for the rear speakers, they are 8ohm, and it seems there I have options - I can either get an 8ohm version of whatever I use up front, or I could install 2-way speakers in the rear. Is this right?
I am really hoping that at least one person can say, "Get brand XYZ, model 123 for the front doors, and brand XYZ, model 234 for the back doors."

Quick Reply: Speaker upgrade for 2007 LT