Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

ON STAR Whos using it and what do think about it

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 10:57 PM

ON STAR Whos using it and what do think about it

Ive had the hhr for about two months and havn't had a chance to fool with the on Star button... They called me today to see what s up and if I wanted to buy some minutes for the phone part... I was planing on buying some minutes any way cause it was only like $15.oo for 100 minutes and even thought my cell phone hasn't been out of ear shot since in 4 years ago... Its a pretty good deal if need a phone... you cant hardly find a pay phone anymore.. so...
Any way i bought some minutes and was feeling good about then the telemarketer said some thing like "remember your on star has to have an active account to use the phone" ..... Iwas WtF does that mean... but i didn't ask.... and he said my car was going to start emailing me status report and stuff.... Just what i neeed my car to email stuff... I hope it tells where the heck my employees are going when I send them in my car.. Maybe it will tell if they are driving like shI$.... LOL I will probably tell me I drive like $hit...
I wonder if I can emil it back and ask it what the heck that clunk noise is in the back...LOL!!! MAybe I can ask it if it likes wal mart gas or Shell better .. If it likes the touchless car wash or if like to be touched!!! LOL!!!

Any way are you using it ... what is your bill like and waht can I expect from Onstar,,

BTW I have friend and says On Star saved his life in an accident...
And I am kinda prone to locking the keys in my car...
Old 08-11-2007, 11:45 PM

I have OnStar and really like it. It is easy to use the hands free you can enter names and phone numbers for easy calling. When I was in the accident knew where I was located sent the tow truck and then checked back to make sure the tow had arrived and had taken the HHR to the distention. The police did not want to come take a report so OnStar set up a conference call with me, the police and OnStar. After I was done talking to OnStar they added 30 minutes back to my phone time.
I get an e-mail every month with a list of systems checks, when the oil change should be done and when it is time for tire rotation. It also gives the amount of minutes left in my account and my XM subscription.
There is also a section that can be filled out with contact and insurance info in case of an accident.
I did the yearly plan and that saves a little.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:01 AM

Dont have it on the HHR but in thr wifes car we do. Dont use it much, but have called her on the hands free. I think we will keep it because of the piece of mind knowing she has it. Plus I get the emails about anything wrong with the car so I can get on her if she doesnt tell me something is acting funny
Old 08-12-2007, 12:23 AM

Also, if there is a problem they can do systems checks to see if they can locate the problem and send the info to the dealer.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:19 PM

Well now that Onstar bills for all the services I declined that option. I'll probably get a cell phone installed and take it out whenever I'm in the house. If you drive in the swamp land or in a place that is prone to breakdowns ,I guess Onstar would be a wise desicion. Nice that they can unlock it if you ever leave your keys in the ignition.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:29 PM

Yeah, my girlfriend's Avalanche has it and it can be highly useful. One time I neglected to click the gas cap enough times when I put it back on. The truck died a little while later when she was driving it and OnStar told her what it was. She basically just tightened the cap and went on her way. Also lock-out prone people would love it. And I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that the phone is satellite-based? If true, it would work where standard cell phones might not. I'm sure I'll be corrected if untrue. But I love it!
Old 08-12-2007, 06:56 PM

My wife's car has it and when it wouldn't start, we used it to call a tow truck. On-Star set up the tow and knew EXACTLY where the car was (they told me and asked to verify). Worked good for us.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by HHR_ROX_CALI
And I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that the phone is satellite-based? If true, it would work where standard cell phones might not. I'm sure I'll be corrected if untrue. But I love it!
It uses digital cellular technology for the data and voice calls. Analog equipped vehicles will not be supported after January 08.

It uses satellite for the GPS portion of the service to determine the location of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by tleslie79072
And I am kinda prone to locking the keys in my car...
If you do that, make sure you are above ground. We can't unlock the car if it can't get a signal.

As for the comment by the telemarketer, it just means that you can't have the personal calling feature without some sort of OnStar plan (personal calling is an add-on to an OnStar package, not the other way around).
Old 08-14-2007, 02:42 PM

Use mine on trip and such to find nearest hotels and restraunts. ever had a craving for cracker barrell well i did one day on a road trip so i pushed the little blue botton and aked the adviser and guess what they found one and i got my fix so. I guess it is good for something, but i have used the phone once when i was in the hil country of texas at a ranch and my cell wouldn't work but was able to make calls with my car.

Ps i think i pay like $40 a month but not really sure
Old 08-14-2007, 03:00 PM

I would have loved OnStar for my HHR but when I was shopping there were none anywhere around that had that option, and I wasn't in a position to order and wait. I have OnStar in my Buick Rendevous and have used it when I rolled the thing 2 winters ago and ended up sideways, when I locked my keys in the car (yes..even with idiot buzzers it's possible), and numerous times for finding my way around strange locales. Also, the carphone feature is handy.

Quick Reply: ON STAR Whos using it and what do think about it