Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

ON STAR Whos using it and what do think about it

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by britinamerica
My favorite part of the blurb I read on the website was "OnStar voice recognition system may not work with some voices". I guess that rules out me with my British accent?!
One of my co-workers is French and his wife is Mexican. She set up the voice dial stuff...makes for fun times
Old 09-22-2007, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kingfrog
However a couple of politicians and a former police officer were brought down in a corruntion sting in Las Vegas (allowed by the Patriot Act). The recording of their conversations through the On Star system nailed them. It was used in court to convict them.
Got a link for that?
Old 09-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black Rose
Got a link for that?
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/galardi/archive.html

Its in there somewhere. I lived in Vegas during that issue and read of some in car System being used as part of the wiretaps the FBI used.

Mr. Dunnam said he had become even more concerned because of a federal appeals court case involving a criminal investigation in Nevada, in which federal authorities had demanded that a company attach a wiretap to tracking services like those installed in his car. The suit did not reveal which company was involved. A three-judge panel in San Francisco rejected the request, but not on privacy grounds; the panel said the wiretap would interfere with the operation of the safety services.

Here is a ruling that came after they captured the in car conversations

PEOPLE with sophisticated safety and communications systems in their cars may be getting an unwanted feature. An appeals court decision last month revealed that the government may be able to convert some of the systems into roaming in-car wiretaps.

OnStar claims it cannot be done with their system.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by dbfruth
Ok I am going to put on my flame retardant suit before I post this....

To those that are worried about OnStar tracking your every move, I call it paranoia. They only know your location when you initiate a call, besides it's not like it uploads your bank account info, SSN, medical records and your deep dark secrets, just your location. So what if they see that I am driving down the street in Wichita. does the system have the potential to be abused? Of course but so does any computer technology. If you have ever used a cell phone The carriers know your location by triangulation from the cell towers, even if you are not making a call the phone has to register with the towers. Or maybe you have used a credit or debit card. They know how much and where you spend your money, Or how about something as innocuous as using a search engine like Google or Yahoo, they keep track of what you search for. I suppose you could ride a bike, pay with cash and just use pay phones (if you can find one). I however will enjoy the technology that makes things easier. If they collect some info on me thats fine I have nothing to hide.
Couldn't say it any better myself!
Old 09-23-2007, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by britinamerica
My favorite part of the blurb I read on the website was "OnStar voice recognition system may not work with some voices". I guess that rules out me with my British accent?!
You will need to order GM Part No. HRH007LIMEY, otherwise known as the OEM Non-American English adapter. :)
Old 09-23-2007, 09:57 AM

All new cell phones are GPS capable now.
NOTE: for people with the older cell phones that want them activated in to their new accounts because of a loss or broken phone, the old cell phones will be denied activation into your new accounts by each of the carriers.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:33 PM

I have onstar and do enjoy it, I like the benifits it offers me, I like the fact that should I need to get into my car because i left my keys in it I can without paying a wrecker 75 bucks to unlock my door, I like that I have a emergency phone incase I need it, I like all the other options it has because if i need it, it's there, i find the technology quite amusing, however, those who feel it is to in detail into your personal space, well, that's your call, but for some of us, we enjoy the extras and it is a bit of peace of mind having those options.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:01 AM

Mine called me, asked me to cut my finger and smear blood onto the Onstar sensor. Although strange, I figured what the hell and complied. Afterwards a voice came on letting me know that my DNA had been successfully recorded.

LMAO, All kidding aside, I am a true believer and I use it to make calls, get directions and love the email letting me know the car is running good and when the next servicing is needed. I will always have it as long as I have the HHR
Old 04-03-2008, 12:27 AM

It came standard on my '08. An interesting feature for the free first year, and I got the 100 call minutes because I noticed the reception was better than my cell. However, the going price in canada for the basic safety plan is like $280 bucks. Not a chance of me renewing at that price. I have heard you can get a deal on renewal, but Im not biting unless its half that price.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by prod
It came standard on my '08. An interesting feature for the free first year, and I got the 100 call minutes because I noticed the reception was better than my cell. However, the going price in canada for the basic safety plan is like $280 bucks. Not a chance of me renewing at that price. I have heard you can get a deal on renewal, but Im not biting unless its half that price.
yep.... bundled gone wrong. I thought "bundling" was saving money by get more items at less cost not paying more than you want for more than you want. I think the hands-free phone is gold, (unfortunately I don't have radio controls on the steering wheel so it's like using a pulse dialer when you call anybody with an attendent but I run a small business and answering the business line is a huge plus). The gothchya is that you must subscribe to Onstar to use the phone. I don't need or want the $afety plan (much ado about nuthin')
I received a customer feedback card and said I would happily pay for minutes but not bundled in with Onstar which I do not want or need.

I was also pleasantly surprised with XM but I don't think I'll pay monthly for that either. Damn marketing is getting pretty sophisticated these days... I'd have never bought either of these options but now find I will miss them.. the buggers.

Quick Reply: ON STAR Whos using it and what do think about it